corner corner Weird Christmas

Weird Christmas
by Joey Green | Humor
Registered by pepita-di-Corfu of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on 12/19/2007

status (set by Triscani): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Taken from the inside flap:
"Ah, the delight of Christmas. Holiday carolers, beautifully wrapped packages, twinkling lights, and... a feast of caterpillars fried in oil?!? Welcome to Weird Christmas, a journey off the beaten path to the bizarre side of the world's favorite holiday, where, for every Christmas sugarplum there is a plate of lutefisk (that's cod soaked in lye-a Christmas favorite in Norway).
You don't have to travel around the world to find the peculiar aspects of Christmas-it's all a matter of perspective. What can you say about a holiday on which you invite a strange old bearded man to break into your house, and leave him a snack for his troubles? Or cut down a stately, ancient evergreen so you can drag it inside and drown it in fake icicles? December 25th has become so much more -and less-b than a sacred religious celebration. It is a time to be joyously selfless and a time to indulge in an orgy of consumerism; a time for sober reflection and a time to lift a few too many glasses of eggnog and wake up face-down under the office conference table. And, apparently, if you are Werner Erhard, a time to send out 62,824 personal greeting cards.
You'd be surprised at the range of crimes and catastrophes that have taken place on Christmas, the mishaps, the mayhem, the hideous sweaters and inedible fruitcakes, the momentous births and untimely deaths. In Weird Christmas, Joey Green has unearthed stockingsfull of juicy holiday curiosities, all cunningly illustrated by Lisa K. Weber, adding up to an offbeat look at a heartfelt tradition -and a one-size-fits-all Christmas present no one will want to return!"

Journal Entry 2 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I read the book within two days time while i was at my father's village celebrating Christmas. There are mentioned many extraordinary things that took place in the past on Christmas day, both positive and negative, but what i didn't like that much is that it mostly focuses on things that happened in the United States rather than in the rest of the world. I got excited when i saw that my home city Thessaloniki was mentioned, even though for not a good reason.. In the Christmas Crimes and Catastrophes part of the book, in year 390 it says that "Roman emperor Theodosius ordered the massacre of more than seven thousand inhabitants of the city of Thessaloniki in Macedonia". I won't write more in case i become a spoiler, i hope the next reader will enjoy it even more than i did.

Journal Entry 3 by pepita-di-Corfu at international BCing in by post, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 23, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/24/2008 UTC) at international BCing in by post, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

i'm sending this book to far far away Brazil to bookcrosser Triscani. Since i've never sent a book to Brazil before this one will help me with my lifelong challenge to send at least one book to every country of the world.
I decided to also add this book in charbono's Around the World Challenge 2008, similar to mine only on this one contribute bookcrossers from all over the world sending books worldwide too.
I hope you'll enjoy reading Triscani!

Journal Entry 4 by Triscani from Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro Brazil on Monday, April 07, 2008

What a great surprise! Just received this lovely book from pepita! Thanks for inviting me to participate in this great challenge! I can't wait to read it!