corner corner The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
by Muriel Spark | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingLeishaCamdenwing of Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 12/11/2007

status (set by LeishaCamden): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

From the front cover:

'A perfect book' - The Chicago Tribune'

From the back cover:

'Admirably written, beautifully constructed, extremely amusing and deeply serious.'
-Saturday Review

She didn't fit in as a teacher in that staid girls' school in Edinburgh, Scotland. She had ideas. She taught with wit and charm. She took a lover. She was Miss Jean Brodie, a woman unmistakably in her prime. And the students she chose to become the crème de la crème were called the 'Brodie set'.

Each was famous in her own right: Rose for sex, Jenny for beauty, Sandy for her eyes. Each was devoted to Miss Jean Brodie ... and one would betray her.

A dazzling psychological study, a darkly fascinating tale of treachery and passion, this remarkable work of fiction, set in the 1930s, probes the human heart with humor, style, and the penetrating bite of truth that have earned this superb novel its place as a modern classic.

THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE

'Remarkable: Surprises are systematically reduced until there is only one left, and it is like the stab of a stiletto.'
-The Spectator'

This is an oversized paperback copy from Plume Fiction, ie Penguin Books, published in 1984. The book was originally published in 1961. It has a few words written, or should I say scrawled, in yellow pen on the inside cover:
'Edinburgh
Present 1936 -6'
It also has a previous owner's name and phone number on the title page:
'Aina Nøding
Tlf ** 60 86 70'

This book is #450 on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

I got this book at a flea market at Ullevål elementary school in Oslo on Saturday, April 21st, 2007.

I am not familiar with this author, I had just vaguely heard of her when I came across this book. But I remembered that it was on the 1001 List, so I took a closer look at it, and thought it sounded pretty fascinating judging by the blurb. I was there with BCer lunacia and when she saw what I was looking at she said she had read the book and loved it, and she recommended it very much. Sold! :-) Am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, March 18, 2017

I read this book ages ago but forgot to journal it. Well worth reading. Reserved now for release at the BookCrossing convention here in Oslo next month.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, April 20, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

Convention release!