corner corner Letter to a Christian Nation

by Sam Harris | Religion & Spirituality
Registered by wingmiketrollwing on 12/4/2007

status (set by Moem): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingmiketrollwing on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Impeccable! A concise and eloquent statement of the case against religion.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, January 03, 2008

Woops! This very interesting looking little book was sent to me by the lovely Miketroll and it's been here for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to making a journal entry.
Sorry, Mike.
You're a darling and I'm so looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, April 10, 2008

I found this book every bit as interesting as it looked.
The logic is flawless. Some people might object to the tone. But Harris makes a good point, and makes it well.

I might try to find others interested in reading this, in which case I'll make it into a Bookring.

Journal Entry 4 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Boekenring! Wie leest er mee?

1972Galadriel
prizzy
rroos
dutch-flybabe
Gyralanivos

Journal Entry 5 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Received the book today..I got 1 ringbook to read..then I'll start on this one :)

Journal Entry 6 by wing1972Galadrielwing from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sam Harris skillfully chips away the foundations of religion.
Thanks for sharing the book Moem :) I will hand over the book to Plinius somewhere this week.

Journal Entry 7 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

thanks Gala! I can almost start a mount TBR of ringbooks; this is number 5.
And I found a good atheist quote: Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Douglas Adams

Journal Entry 8 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, June 26, 2008

One of the monumental ironies of religious discourse can be appreciated in the frequency with which people of faith praise themselves for their humility, while condemning scientists and other non-believers for their intellectual arrogance.

I enjoyed this very much: there's good logic, intelligence and humour and intersting links too. Makes good ammunition.
This must be the third ringbook I sent to -Nika- this month...

Journal Entry 9 by Plinius at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 26, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/26/2008 UTC) at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 10 by wing-Nika-wing from Doorn, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, June 27, 2008

received this book today, thanks for sending plinus
it'll have to wait, I'm reading three other books already
so I'll finish those first

tbr

Journal Entry 11 by wing-Nika-wing from Doorn, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, July 07, 2008

gelezen en vandaag gepost naar de volgende

Journal Entry 12 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 21, 2008

The book arrived during my holiday in India, I found it in the mailbox when I got home yesterday.
Thank you very much for sending -Nika- and also for your sunny postcard!

I'll read the book ASAP.

Journal Entry 13 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A very, very good book! This book should be on the readinglist of every school.
Thank you very much for sharing!

Today the book starts it's journey to belgium.

Journal Entry 14 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, July 25, 2008

The book arrived safe and sound. Thanks for sending the book and the little BC magnet, afraberg! (Is it your own design? Find Bally! ;D )

Journal Entry 15 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, July 28, 2008

This is a great book! I loved it. It has clarified some things for me and even though Harris and I may disagree on some small subjects, the logic is perfect. I would (and will) recommend this book to anyone!

Thanks for the ring Moem. As soon as I recieve her adress I will send the book to Elefteria.

Journal Entry 16 by Moriquen at Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 28, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/28/2008 UTC) at Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Onderweg naar Elefteria! Enjoy.

Journal Entry 17 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

en aangekomen. bedankt!

Journal Entry 18 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 11, 2008

I didn't like the book. to me the writer is just as short-sighted as the readers he writes this book for....
that's all I want to say about it. I will send the book to Emmeken today

Journal Entry 19 by Emmeken from Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

And the book is safe in my hands! Thanks Elefteria. I'll start reading right away.

Journal Entry 20 by Emmeken from Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I really enjoyed reading this little book. Sometimes his tone is somewhat harsh, but I do agree with Harris. He makes his point and he does it in a clear, logic and, in my opinion, honest manner. Actually, this book contains all the questions and wonderings I had about religions (not just Christian), written down nicely :-)

Right now, I'm really curious about the answer of this letter ('Letter from a Christian Nation' or 'Letter to an atheist', amongst others). As I see it, this book is for sure a challenge to faith!

However, I really doubt if this letter reaches its intended audience (these 'real, die-hard American Christians'), exceptions aside.

This letter will be sent to Cahira this weekend. Thanks for ringing (?) Moem!

Journal Entry 21 by Emmeken at Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Thursday, August 14, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/14/2008 UTC) at Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Vanavond op de post gedaan. Na zessen, dus gaat pas met de lichting van vrijdag mee!
Veel plezier ermee Cahira.

Journal Entry 22 by Cahira from Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, August 16, 2008

I received the book today. I have to finish another ringbook first but I'm looking forward reading this book next.
Thanks for sending it to me, Emmeken.

Journal Entry 23 by Cahira from Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, September 08, 2008

I really liked reading this book.
Just like Emmeken I had questions and wonderings about faith and religions and the logic in this book is perfect.
I find it astounding that so many American Christians don't believe in evolution but do believe everything in the bible, although there is no evidence of that!!

Tomorrow the book will be send to Biba89

Journal Entry 24 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, September 12, 2008

It arrived on my doorstep, yesterday.
I already believe that Christianity was invented by people, with the aim to support the hierarchy structure and patriarchy of the dominant culture. And look how immensely succesful it has been in that respect. Also I am convinced that people are drawn to religion because of a profound lack of meaning and connection to life. I just found out that the teachings of Christ were completely contradictory to the role the Christian church is and has been playing. An interesting concept.
Now, to this book. See what else it has to tell me.

Journal Entry 25 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

This is utterly embarassing. The book is somewhere in my home, but I seem to have forgotten where. I have already cleaned out closets trying to find it. I will give myself one more week, thanks for your patience, ringpeople, and then I will go and get another copy to send on, with the same BX code, so as not to breach the ring list.
If I happen upon the original copy, I will erase the BX code and put in a new one.And start on the cobwebs in my head in the meantime.

Journal Entry 26 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, November 30, 2008

I have sent off three consecutive PM's to bookcrossers who had a copy registered as Available, but to no avail. So, finally I ordered a new copy. It should arrive shortly. I will then send it off to the next reader, I think I have stalled it long enough. So sorry!

Journal Entry 27 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, December 06, 2008

Finally, a new copy arrived. I numbered it and read it in one go.
Off to the next reader on Monday morning.
And, I have read enough by Daniel Quinn not to be surprised by this book. Nevertheless I agree completely and I can feel equally infuriated about the devastation brought upon the world by man-made Christianity.

Journal Entry 28 by prizzy from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, December 12, 2008

I received the book a few days ago, not able to register before, but it has arrived safely!
Thanks for ringing, will read it asap!

edit Jan 29:
I read this book with great intrest ! I truely hope people take note of this letter because I feel also that religion does more harm than good in this world!

i will send a pm to the next in the ring.

Journal Entry 29 by prizzy at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 31, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/31/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

on its way!

Journal Entry 30 by rroos from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I received it yesterday, thanx!

edit29-5: very interesting book indeed. He makes some very good points...
thanx for sharing this one!

Journal Entry 31 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I found this book today upon my return from Madeira (ISBN 9780307278777).
<-- Leuk BC kaartje!

Journal Entry 32 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, July 19, 2009

I never knew the bible preaches such hatred against and murder of non believers. Imagine what would happen if there were fundamentalist christians, blood would flow kneehigh through the streets. (It would do wonders for the worldpopulation though, no more problems feeding everybody on earth :-\)

A few quotes:
"While believing strongly, without evidence, is considered a mark of madness or stupidiy in any other area of our lives, faith in God still holds immense prestige in our society."

"Another problem with religious moderation is that it represents precisely the sort of thinking that will prevent a rational and nondenominational spirituality from ever emerging in our world."

I will take the book with me to Gyralanivos the next time I'm going to Renkum.

Journal Entry 33 by dutch-flybabe at Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/28/2009 UTC) at Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands

Left at Gyralanivos's today.

Journal Entry 34 by Gyralanivos from Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm wondering what is inside of this book.

Moem thanks for ringing and dutch-flybabe, thanks for sending this long letter.

Journal Entry 35 by Gyralanivos from Renkum, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, February 22, 2010

What do I have to say about this letter?

It was quite disappointing for me, that the writer took the extreme christians as example for all the christians and used cherry-picking of some phrases of the bible to prove his points.

I agree with the writer, that when you are mixing politics and religion it'll lead to trouble. And in the USA the influence of some extreme religious parties on the political parties is huge.

Journal Entry 36 by Gyralanivos at Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, February 22, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/22/2010 UTC) at Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands

This book is brought home today.

Journal Entry 37 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, February 26, 2010

And the book has returned (sort of), after quite a rocky journey. It's been some trip!
Thank you,participants, and thank you again, Miketroll. I will re-read the book before it travels on.

Journal Entry 38 by wingMoemwing at Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, April 20, 2012

Skimmed the book this time, but it's still as good as I remember it being. I will release it in our local hackerspace, where scepsis and rational thinking are always welcome.

Journal Entry 39 by wingMoemwing at OBCZ Hack42 in Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, April 20, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/20/2012 UTC) at OBCZ Hack42 in Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands

Vanavond in de weggeefkast.
... goede reis, boek!