corner corner At Home on the Stroll: My Twenty Years as a Prostitute in Canada

At Home on the Stroll: My Twenty Years as a Prostitute in Canada
by Alexandra Highcrest | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 12/3/2007

status (set by CrazyDutchwoman): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 03, 2007

Picked up at the 2007 Crohn's/Colitis Booksale.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

This book offered an fascinating view of prostitution with a perspective not often seen...from someone on the inside. Highcrest's writing style is interesting and the stories she told throughout the book were quite illuminating. This book shattered some of the misconceptions I personally had about prostitution.

I am reserving this for a BookObsessor. Appropriately enough, I am reserving it for the person that prompted me to add this book to my own wishlist :)

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Dropping this in the mail for alsgal today.

Journal Entry 4 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, February 11, 2008

I can't wait to read this lovely little book. Unfortunately my TBR pile is overflowing so it may have to wait a little bit. Addint to my TBR.

Thanks for sharing brewski!

Journal Entry 5 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

This book really shed a different light on prostitution for me.
Thanks for sharing brewski!

Unfortunately, it had a small run-in with a glass of red wine so it now has some purple stains on the firt couple pages and the edge of the pages. Oops! I guess it's not safe to drink and read!

Journal Entry 6 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sending off to CdnBlueRose as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 7 by CdnBlueRose from Arvada, Colorado USA on Monday, May 26, 2008

YAY!! Arrived Friday and made my day! Thanks SO much, alsgal!!!! This book had been on my wishlist for about 3 years.... I have a massive Mt. TBR, but I'll be reading this one soon anyway, I'm sure..... ;)

Journal Entry 8 by CdnBlueRose from Arvada, Colorado USA on Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I was rather disappointed in this book for a couple of reasons..... First, I would have preferred much more about the author's personal experience as a prostitute, and much less of the political and statistical verbage, that was almost mind-numbing at points - after all, the title of the book does include "my twenty years as a prostitute", but the book doesn't really tell that much about her experiences of that time, it focuses much more on the before and after. Secondly, the timeline skipped all over the place and I found that frustrating. In one chapter she's talking about what she did after she got out of the Business and in the next chapter she's back to talking about her early years IN the Business.... she talks about her partner fairly early on, but it's almost the end before she actually tells how they met... Sprinkled throughout are references to her transition, but she doesn't ever tell very much about that at all, which was also just frustrating.

It was an interesting book in that it does give another view of prostitution from that usually given - she's very straightforward about prostitution as a job rather than a lifestyle, and I probably do see it a bit differently after reading this. I do believe that some politics and statistics are a definite part of this particular subject matter, but it was way too much here, and it took away from the personal angle that I think would have given me a more positive response to my read.

I have this reserved for Marlene now - I know she likes non-fiction, books about women, and I think this will be of interest to her. Waiting until I've finished another book to send both to her together.

Journal Entry 9 by CdnBlueRose from Arvada, Colorado USA on Friday, November 21, 2008

Mailing out Monday

Journal Entry 10 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, December 07, 2008

Thank you for this rabck rosie. Laughing my ass off about the red wine spot in the book and the written note <-- red wine. whahahahahahahaha
Thanks for sharing babe.