corner corner Blindness

Blindness
by Jose Sarmago | Literature & Fiction
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 11/15/2007

status (set by geishabird): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 15, 2007

I couldn't resist buying this at bookcloseouts.com.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 08, 2008

While Saramago's writing style took a bit of getting used to for me, the descriptiveness of his words were amazing from beginning to end. Sadly, this very vivid imagery had me feeling disgusted with mankind at many points in this novel. As I continued to read, I was hoping to be able to say, "Oh this could happen in a book, but not in real life," but I could see today's society treating each other just as badly if a similar calamity struck today's citizens.

This is not to say that this is a gloomy depressing book though. There are still many moments of compassion, hope, and love.

To be sent to geishabird for the International Reverse Wishlist Relay.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 22, 2008

I dropped this in the mail this morning.

Journal Entry 4 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thanks very much; I've wanted to read this for some time now.

Journal Entry 5 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 08, 2009

Excellent book - an unflinching look at humanity's worst side, and at the same time offering glimpses of how we can be better than we thought we could be. Saramego's fluid, almost stream-of-consciousness writing style was unique and gave a dreamlike quality to the book - appropriate, since at times the story itself seemed to be slipping between reality and fantasy, sleeping and waking. A compelling and troubling read - thanks very much for sharing this.

Journal Entry 6 by geishabird at Queen St. East in the Beaches in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 15, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (8/15/2009 UTC) at Queen St. East in the Beaches in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Released as part of the "One Word" challenge - one word titles only!

Happy reading!

(UPDATE: I left this in front of one of the optical stores on Queen - har har - don't remember which one exactly)