corner corner Whale Tales: Tales from America's Leading Marine Life Artist

Whale Tales: Tales from America's Leading Marine Life Artist
by Wyland | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by pzarks of Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

status (set by allysther): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by pzarks from Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"Dive in... as Wyland, the world's leading enviromental marine life artist, takes you on a captivating journey through his early days as a starving artist, hir role in pioneering a bold new art movement and on a rollercoaster tour of what may be the most ambitious project ever undertaken by a single artist.
Not since Michelangelo has one man projected his vision on such a grand scale and reached so many people with his art. Having already completed over 50 public murals depicting lifesize images of whales, dolphins, and other marine life in their natural habitat, Wyland is racing full throttle toward his extraordinary goal of painting 100 "Whaling Walls" across the globe by the year 2011.
How did a son of Detroit auto workers break out of an industrial world to become a successful artist anyway? And why did he choose whales as his subjects? What has he seen in the countless dives that have placed him eye to eye with the largest and most mysterious creatures on earth? And what's it like to stand on a scaffold 200 feet in the air and paint anatomically correct portraits of these majestic leviathans while awestruck citizens- both young and old- watch the sides of some of their most ordinary buildings transform right before their eyes into beautiful blue oceans teeming with colorful marine life?
Whale Tales answers these questions and much more through a series of Wyland's best stories- from both above and below the surface. Told as only he can tell them, these first-hand accounts offer a rare and humorous inside look into the fascinating world of an internationally acclaimed artist and his work.
This is Wyland at his best- painter, sculptor, muralist, personality and storyteller. Painting a ceiling in Japan while on his back, creating the largest mural in the world, completing an entire Whaling Wall in the middle of the night, painting 17 murals in 17 cities in 17 weeks... each story ia a whale of a tale!"

Journal Entry 2 by pzarks at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, April 04, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (4/3/2008 UTC) at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in Portland, Oregon USA

Mailed to Stacers1973 in Oregon

Journal Entry 3 by Stacers1973 from Gladstone, Oregon USA on Monday, April 07, 2008

Thank you pzarks for sending this to me! This looks really good, and different for me :)

Journal Entry 4 by Stacers1973 from Gladstone, Oregon USA on Monday, May 26, 2008

All finished. I would really like to see some of his art in person.

Journal Entry 5 by Stacers1973 at Gladstone, Oregon USA on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (6/14/2010 UTC) at Gladstone, Oregon USA

Adding to Oliviapoolside's "In Memory of Kalman" bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

This book arrived in Seattle in Kalman's memory bookbox. People have such fascinating stories don't they. Sure, I am interested in knowing about Wyland. He even signed this book, how cool is that?!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, July 17, 2011

I enjoyed the writing style which is not complex but it is amusing a lot of the time and I did feel like I was just listening to a real guy talk, there wasn't anything pretentious about it. Obviously he is proud of his work but why not? His art is amazing and certainly a lot of people are aware of it. I didn't know that there was a whaling wall (that is what he calls the whale murals that he paints) in Seattle. I am not even sure if I have ever seen his art in person. I do believe that I have, I did grow up in S. Cal where he painted quite a few murals. But his art is familiar to me whether or not I have actually seen it in person. I guess he is a key figure in the Save the Whales campaign. I do feel terrible that he wasn't able to save the whales in Japan but I did understand his reasoning about it.
I am going to google now to see if his whaling wall in Seattle still exists. I'd like to see it. No, it is listed as "extinct". Too bad.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, August 01, 2011

This book is reserved for the Remember the Memoir Book Box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/2/2011 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Released into the Remember the Memoir book box.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

I chose this out of the "Remember the Memoir" bookbox. I've seen some of Wyland's work, and it's incredible. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for including it, Oliviapoolside.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, April 16, 2012

A quick read of less than 250 pp., not the best-written book, but his passion for both the whales and his art comes thru. I wished the pics inside were in color, to do justice to his art. Among the stories included were about painting the Guinness world-record-setting mural in Long Beach, California on the Long Beach Arena, and also the story of 17 murals, 17 towns, 17 weeks.

This will be loaned to a friend, and is reserved for an upcoming non-fiction VBB.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Thursday, May 10, 2012

I wanted to add some more info to this journal before I pass the book on.

There's a list of the Whaling Walls here.

And there's a picture of all the Whaling Walls (with location and other info - click on the pic for a larger image) here

Journal Entry 13 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/21/2012 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

I put this book in Debbie4osu's non-fiction vbb, and now it's on its way to her. Mailed to TX today. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 14 by debbie4osu at Carrollton, Texas USA on Sunday, August 26, 2012

MaryZee sent this to me after I picked it from the Nonfiction VBB. He has such an interesting idea, and I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks very much for sending it along!!

Journal Entry 15 by debbie4osu at Lewisville, Texas USA on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Released 11 mos ago (4/25/2013 UTC) at Lewisville, Texas USA

Autographed copy!!
Book will be traveling to Hawaii for a book festival in Oahu.

Journal Entry 16 by wingallystherwing at Waipahu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful box of books! They will find new readers very soon!

Too funny! I love that it will be released here. I've never met him in person, but I pass his artwork nearly every day.

Journal Entry 17 by wingallystherwing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 11 mos ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book will be released during the 8th Annual Hawaii Book & Music Festival, held on May 18-19, 2013. It is a weekend filled with the joy of books and the sounds of music and laughter. It is my pleasure to release my books into the wild on this day. I hope that you enjoy this book, and that you had a great time finding it out in the wild!

Good luck, little book! I hope we hear from you soon!