corner corner A Spot of Bother

A Spot of Bother
by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on 11/9/2007

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 09, 2007

Synopsis:Amazon.co.uk
George Hall doesn't understand the modern obsession with talking about everything. 'The secret of contentment, George felt, lay in ignoring many things completely.' Some things in life, however, cannot be ignored. At fifty-seven, George is settling down to a comfortable retirement, building a shed in his garden, reading historical novels, listening to a bit of light jazz. Then Katie, his tempestuous daughter, announces that she is getting remarried, to Ray. Her family is not pleased - as her brother Jamie observes, Ray has 'strangler's hands'. Katie can't decide if she loves Ray, or loves the wonderful way he has with her son Jacob, and her mother Jean is a bit put out by all the planning and arguing the wedding has occasioned, which get in the way of her quite fulfilling late-life affair with one of her husband's former colleagues. And the tidy and pleasant life Jamie has created crumbles when he fails to invite his lover, Tony, to the dreaded nuptials. Unnoticed in the uproar, George discovers a sinister lesion on his hip, and quietly begins to lose his mind. The way these damaged people fall apart - and come together - as a family is the true subject of Mark Haddon's disturbing yet very funny portrait of a dignified man trying to go insane politely.

Looking forward to reading this one which if my husband and the reviews are right I should throughly enjoy.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Twywn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Finally I got round to reading this, took on holiday with me.

At the heart of this family drama is an agonisingly sad story.

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/21/2016 UTC) at Viterbo, Lazio Italy

Given to a friend and fellow Bookcrosser at her home in Italy.

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading