corner corner Me Talk Pretty One Day

by David Sedaris | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by linnefaulk on 3/4/2003

status (set by allbookedup): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by linnefaulk on Tuesday, March 04, 2003

What a great book! I love David Sedaris.

Amazon
Sedaris's caustic gift has not deserted him in his fourth book, which mines poignant comedy from his peculiar childhood in North Carolina, his bizarre career path, and his move with his lover to France. Though his anarchic inclination to digress is his glory, Sedaris does have a theme in these reminiscences: the inability of humans to communicate. The title is his rendition in transliterated English of how he and his fellow students of French in Paris mangle the Gallic language. In the essay "Jesus Shaves," he and his classmates from many nations try to convey the concept of Easter to a Moroccan Muslim. "It is a party for the little boy of God," says one. "Then he be die one day on two... morsels of... lumber," says another. Sedaris muses on the disputes between his Protestant mother and his father, a Greek Orthodox guy whose Easter fell on a different day. Other essays explicate his deep kinship with his eccentric mom and absurd alienation from his IBM-exec dad: "To me, the greatest mystery of science continues to be that a man could father six children who shared absolutely none of his interests."

Journal Entry 2 by linnefaulk on Tuesday, March 04, 2003

book is being traded for Summer Sisters, will be sent next week

Journal Entry 3 by linnefaulk on Friday, March 14, 2003

Sent today to ladymoonlight. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by ladymoonlite from Crest Hill, Illinois USA on Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Just received via USPS. Another great day at the mailbox! It's a double-whammy, because this one was also on my wish list. It's high on the TBR pile and I'll update when it's on it's way again. Thanks a million, linnefaulk!

Journal Entry 5 by ladymoonlite from Crest Hill, Illinois USA on Tuesday, April 08, 2003

I enjoyed the wit and humor of this book. David Sedaris made me feel much better - having shared his crazy history and family stories made me realize that mine is not SO "dysfunctional" as some!

I wasn't quite expecting this to be such a loose collection of nearly unrelated stories, and probably wouldn't have "wished" for it if I knew that's what it was (many of the chapters were published in various magazines prior to the book's publication), but I'm very glad I did because I highly enjoyed the sum of the parts. Thank you again, linnefaulk!

This book is next destined to be released into the wild somewhere in Chicagoland on 4/17, in the "Great Chicago Bookcrossing Release Egg-stravaganza."

Journal Entry 6 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, April 19, 2003

Before ladymoonlite, chicago-reader and I headed out for our mass Anniversary release, we naturally checked out each other's books, "just in case". This is one I came home with.

Journal Entry 7 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2003

C'est un livre très amusant, as the French would say, or, he is a laugh to me this book, as Sedaris might say.

Journal Entry 8 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, April 23, 2003

This has been so popular that I decided to start a book ray. And had a slew of responses. It will be a very international bookray.

This seemed to be the most logical order:

the1stof 8 (Washington)
nastenka-d (Portugal)
nikel27 (Germany)
allbookedup (Austria)
PenelopePitstop (Italy)

(I've put the Europeans last so that the book can be released in the wild there.)

Journal Entry 9 by mojosmom at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, April 25, 2003

Released on Friday, April 25, 2003 at Controlled Release in Chicago, Illinois USA.

Me send book off today, to the1stof8, who for purposes of the bookray is the1stof9!

Journal Entry 10 by the1stof8 from Renton, Washington USA on Monday, May 05, 2003

I rec'd this book Sat., 5/3/03, and am very much looking forward to reading it. I do have 2 other bookray books ahead of this, but they are "lighter" reading so I should be able to get to this book within the week.

Also, thanks for the postcard, mojosmom, and for the chuckle ... 'the1stof9' - you are so clever! :-)

Journal Entry 11 by the1stof8 from Renton, Washington USA on Monday, May 26, 2003

I tried, I really did try to read the whole book ... but didn't make it. I hate to say this (I always feel bad when I don't enjoy a book so many others have), but I have a hard time reading David Sedaris. Awhile back, I tried to read "Holidays on Ice", but could never finish that one either (I released it 10/25/02).

After reading so many wonderful reviews of this book, I thought I'd give him another try and signed up for this bookray. I did read quite a few of the 'stories' and got a few chuckles; my favorite was the first, "Go Carolina".

Life has become quite hectic here, so instead of trying to finish this book (that could be quite some time), I've decided David needs to continue on his journey. I will be sending this on to DrBrown.

Thanks, mojosmom, for including me in this bookray.

Journal Entry 12 by DrBrown from Sierra Madre, California USA on Thursday, June 05, 2003

I received this from the1stof8 a few days ago. While it is probably the time of year (June is not a fun month for teachers), I'm finding the essays fun but not screamingly funny. I should have this completed by the weekend and will send it along to squirrel818.

Memo: this was mailed on June 7th, so it should get to Minnesota within the week!

Journal Entry 13 by squirrel818 from Tafton, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003

Received this for a bookray, it is next on my tbr list
This book is hilarious. I finished it in about 6 hours and laughed quite a bit of the time. I am waiting for approval from the next person on the bookray list before I send it on.

Journal Entry 14 by squirrel818 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, June 22, 2003

Released on Sunday, June 22, 2003 at releasing to fellow bookcrosser in BROOKLYN, New York USA.

Journal Entry 15 by annulla from Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, July 01, 2003

The book has arrived safely in Brooklyn. I promise that it will be happy here until it moves along on its journey. Now, to read ...

... David Sedaris can be quite funny in small doses, but 265 pages of his work - at least in this book - became tiresome and repititious. All too often, these essays start with a clever idea and run out of steam after a few pages or paragraphs.

What's worse, the author doesn't seem nearly as *likable* in this book as he did in earlier works. In "Naked" and "Holidays on Ice" Sedaris displayed an amiable, whimsical, self-deprecating sense of humor. Here, he seems too self-indulgent, too pretentious, too self-absorbed. He feels himself superior to friends, acquaintences, family members, compatriots, and nearly everyone else he encounters, and mocks them almost constantly. The only person who seems to measure up to his standards is his actress sister, Amy.

His humor has never seemed as nakedly cruel; his vicious, selfish side this much in evidence. As he describes an evening he spent at a carnival, hoping that a woman trapped on a roller coaster would fall to her death, Sedaris really seems vile. Hope that the next reader enjoys it more than I did.

Journal Entry 16 by annulla at Post Office, see notes in New York City, New York USA on Monday, July 07, 2003

Release planned for Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at Roosevelt Station Post Office in New York, New York USA.

Released via mail to bookcrosser fflloorr.

Journal Entry 17 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, July 11, 2003

Received the book yesterday!
Thanks Annulla for sending it to me (and for the postcard) and thanks Mojosmom for organizing this ring!

Journal Entry 18 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, August 12, 2003

This book wasn't exactly what I expected. There were some funny parts but on the whole I found it a bit disapointing. Maybe it's my problem! With all this heat here in Portugal I'm not able to think or read properly :-(
This book is now going to Nikel27 since Nastenka-d is on holiday and asked me to pass it along.

Journal Entry 19 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Friday, August 22, 2003

book arrived here safe at my mailbox, sorry first had to go to my TBR-PIle of BookRings/Rays

update 10/13/2003:

some off the stories where funny to read, the other's I must say I just passed them.

Journal Entry 20 by nikel27 at Postal System (Ginsheim-Gustavsburg) in -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany on Monday, October 13, 2003

Release planned for Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at Postal System in Ginsheim, Hessen Germany.

sent to the next member nastenka-d/Portugal

EnJoy

Journal Entry 21 by nastenka-d from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, October 30, 2003

Got it!

(update)
Well, I must say that some of the stories were quite funny... But others weren't. I think he tried to make a joke about the sexuality question, and it was a total failure... But the stories about the chilhood were very amusing.
I'll send it now to Allbookedup.

Journal Entry 22 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Monday, November 17, 2003

Received this today in the mail, thank you! I'll read it as soon as possible!!

Journal Entry 23 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Wednesday, November 26, 2003

I've finished the book now. It was really funny! Sedaris is a big big talent, he always makes me laugh.
I have sent it on to "PenelopePitstop" in Italy today, Nov. 26th.
Thank you for sharing the book with us, mojosmom!