corner corner Kitchen (A Black cat book)

Kitchen (A Black cat book)
by Banana Yoshimoto | Literature & Fiction
Registered by dolphinwriter of Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, November 04, 2007

status (set by lils74): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by dolphinwriter from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, November 04, 2007

TBR as part of the 2008 A-Z Author Challenge.

Journal Entry 2 by dolphinwriter from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, March 06, 2008

I've finished reading this. I don't think that I understood it. I did like the characterization, but I felt as if I were missing something important in the relationships between the characters.

Journal Entry 3 by dolphinwriter from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm putting this in Trekwoman's This N' That Bookbox to replace one that I removed.

Journal Entry 4 by bookpatch from Lakewood, California USA on Thursday, April 03, 2008

I was pleased to see this one in the bookbox--have heard a lot about this author! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by bookpatch from Lakewood, California USA on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

There are actually two stories in this book, Kitchen and a companion piece Moonlight Shadow. I liked the latter a little better, maybe because by then I was a little more used to the author's writing style, or perhaps because it was more economical in its story-telling. Grief and recovery from grief are themes in both.

I agree with dolphinwriter, I did not understand the characters completely. In Kitchen, especially, emotions zoom across the page like cars on the 405. Mikage is happy, sad, angry, and then happy again all in the space of a few sentences, which puzzled me. Is this a symptom of her grief?

Still an interesting and refreshing read. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by bookpatch at by hand, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/13/2008 UTC) at by hand, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Controlled release to dancing-dog--so it will be travelling back to Tennessee.

Journal Entry 7 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sorry dolphinwriter, this book must have some kind of homing instinct. But I will read it and urge it to travel again & hopefully get to see more of the world!

Thanks for sharing this bookpatch! I have heard of this author & am curious.

Journal Entry 8 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hmmm, the characters all seemed kind of lost to me, and like bookpatch noted, while sharing grief, ran through the gamut of emotions. I felt like the author was saying more than I really picked up on. Perhaps something was lost in the translation from Japanese? Still, an interesting book because it was so different and I enjoy any book that makes me think about it a little.

Sending this on to shnedwards - her pick from the Bookobsessed Passport to the World VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by dancing-dog at BookObsessed VBB, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 26, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/26/2009 UTC) at BookObsessed VBB, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases

mailed to shnedwards today - hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 10 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

It's here! Thank you very much dancing-dog for sending this on. I will read this as soon as I can and probably pass it on at one of the upcoming meetups, as I think it will find a friend there...

Edited to add: I've just realised this is one of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, so I'm going to send it out on a bookray. Let's see where it ends up!

Amazon.co.uk synopsis:
Juxtaposes two tales about mothers, trans-sexuality, kitchens, love, tragedy, and the terms they all come to in the minds of a pair of free-spirited young women in contemporary Japan.

Mailing order (subject to change):

crimson-tide, Australia
FreePages, Australia
Elddau1, Australia <---here
EmgeeNL, Netherlands

Journal Entry 11 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, March 30, 2009

On its way to Danielle23. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 12 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Arrived today and it looks great. I have one more ray to read first then onto this one, can't wait xx

Journal Entry 13 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, April 05, 2009

This book was wonderfully written but the story seemed to be lacking in any major events. Saying that, I did still enjoy it and the characters were well written.

Will be sending along to Lucy tomorrow xx

Journal Entry 14 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/8/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Posted along to Lucy, the next in the ray xx

Journal Entry 15 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, April 16, 2009

Arrived safely while I was at my parents for the Bank Holiday. I read this on the bus this afternoon and absolutely loved it! (Which is a relief because I have two other novels by Banana Yoshimoto on my TBR list!) I thought the stories were wonderful, although I think I prefered the second one a bit more. I loved the part towards the end of Kitchen with the noodles! (I won't say anymore in case of spoilers.)

Thanks so much for including me on this ring :-)

Journal Entry 16 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Received safely - thank you! In the TBR pile - I'll get to it asap!! :-)

Journal Entry 17 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, June 19, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (6/19/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This was a nice little book. I think it would have been a bit more of a substantial story if it went into more depth, but overall not bad. Sending on now to ThursdayN, as again I am unable to contact LadyTrinity.

Journal Entry 18 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It has arrived safely! I will start to read asap.

Thank you Jozebedee for sending it!

=)
ThursdayN

Journal Entry 19 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, July 06, 2009

I really enjoyed this book! The stories are well written, but I think I prefer the last one. I've only read one of her other books and I will definately try to read the others.

Thanks for the ray! =)

Journal Entry 20 by wingVildawing from Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The book arrived safely today. Thanks ThursdayN for passing it to me and to shnedwards for the opportunity. I'll have one ray before this one but I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 21 by wingVildawing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 24, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/24/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I really enjoyed this quickread novel. Especially the last part. Now it travels to the next reader. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 22 by DryKid from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

This book arrived a while ago, sorry I didn't journal it earlier, will get round to reading it asap!

Journal Entry 23 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thanks DryKid for sending this on. Well Shnedwards it appears after being bookray free I now have two of yours to get through. I shouldn't be too long with this one though as it looks like a pretty quick read.

EDIT: 19th November 2009: I started last night and I must say I’m flying through it, it’s so diversely different to my previous read H.P. Lovecraft’s At The Mountains Of Madness . Kitchen is easy reading and a joy to pick up; I’m really enjoying Mikage Sakurai’s story even though parts of her life have been so tragic.

EDIT: 23rd November 2009 - A great little book; both Kitchen and Moonlight Shadow are wonderfully written stories about how people come to terms with the death in their lives. They’re beautifully written and although tragic they both have a heart warming moments and are a joy to read.

I’ve passed this onto KT-J to read.

Next: Ian Rankin - Fleshmarket Close

Journal Entry 24 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, November 23, 2009

Received from Stubee and added to the pile of TBRs, thanks!! I'm trying to get through some short books so hopefully will be able to make a start on this soon.

Journal Entry 25 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 07, 2010

I really enjoyed both these stories. I thought they were beautifully written and I liked the descriptive detail throughout. Although some of the characters didn't appear in much detail I thought this was a really good book detailing the emotions that come with loss and grief and how you come to terms with this.

An author to look out for in future!

Thanks shnedwards for sharing this book. I've passed it back to Stubee for posting as he is currently working from home to escape the snow!

Journal Entry 26 by stubee at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, January 07, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/7/2010 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Making it's journey to mrbaggins1 in South Africa, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Journal Entry 27 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, January 25, 2010

Arrived in Jozi today together with two other 'rays OMG - I'll get around to it ASAP. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 28 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Sunday, January 31, 2010

Because the novella's was written in Japanese and then translated I think a lot of the nuances in these fragile little stories might have got lost in translation, also because Japanese culture is foreign to me.

I also thought that Moonlight Shadow was better than Kitchen.

Dōmo arigatō, I'm contacting the next in line to send it on

Journal Entry 29 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, February 12, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/12/2010 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Released by surface mail to crimson-tide, Australia the next in line today

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 30 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 26, 2010

Arrived safely this week sometime while I was out of town for a few days. Thanks for sending it mrbaggins1 - it came airmail and was super fast. And thanks for all the little goodies contained therein, especially the fifty billion dollars! *lol*

Journal Entry 31 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, June 07, 2010

Two lovely, well written and engaging stories concerning love, loss and grieving (and food). Enjoyed them both, but probably Moonlight Shadow drew me in more than Kitchen.

shnedwards, I am so sorry to have had this little book in my possession for so long. Am posting it off to FreePages tomorrow - Tuesday 8th.

Journal Entry 32 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, June 24, 2010

Retrived Kitchen from my Post Office Box today.
Thanks for sending on Crimson-Tide and for the heads-up PM :-)
I might start this soon because, I seem to not be progressing very well with the other books I have here at the moment.

Journal Entry 33 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, August 16, 2010

This was a quick read! Far quicker then my ability to Journal it!
I read it over a month ago now and I'm have trouble remembering it!
I find she writes very much like Murakami, although he is much more "out there"!
I think I enjoyed this more then the "Asleep" short story collection.
Thanks for sharing. I hope to see Elddau1 sooner rather then later and I can pass it on to her then.

Journal Entry 34 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/28/2010 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Taking to the Canberra BC meet-up today. Hope to see Elddau there and give her the book :-)

Journal Entry 35 by Elddau1 at Gundaroo, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Passed to me by FreePages at the Canberra BC meet-up this afternoon. (Thank you :-))
I have only 20 pages left of my current read then this will be next.

Journal Entry 36 by Elddau1 at Gundaroo, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Banana looked into my soul.
She captured the feelings of loss and grief absolutely right. She must have experienced this herself to get it so right.
I loved the story of the first novella ‘Kitchen’ - with Mikage, Eriko and Yuichi. Not sure about Mikage and Yuichi ending up together though - from ‘sibling’ to lover doesn’t sit well with me, even though it was only a few months together as a new family.
I think something went missing a couple of times in the translation in ‘Kitchen’. There were occasional gaps so it felt like when I used to read books in French and I didn’t quite get it all.

The second novella ‘Moonlight Shadow’ has a nice ending but it was difficult for me to read. But I have taken some of Banana’s profound thoughts with me.
I’ll have to look up the words to the Mike Oldfield song now (the story was inspired by it apparently.)
(see: http://www.elyrics.net/read/m/mike-oldfield-lyrics/moonlight-shadow-lyrics.html)

All in all, a lovely read, at times profound and with poetic language.

(15/9 - have PMed EmgeeNL for address.)

Journal Entry 37 by Elddau1 at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/30/2010 UTC) at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Posted to EmgeeNL, the next on the list, on Thursday 30 Sept, 2010.

Cheers and Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 38 by EmgeeNL at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The book arrived. Thank you for the nice goodies Elddau1.

Journal Entry 39 by EmgeeNL at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, October 31, 2010

It was a nice story to read, but it didn't really stick.

Journal Entry 40 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation EmgeeNL!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf

Journal Entry 41 by EmgeeNL at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

ckeckin this book out of the library for the 1001-librarby EU VBB. It is waiting to be send to Lamelemon

Journal Entry 42 by EmgeeNL at Bucharest, -- Not a city, Geographical features, etc. -- Romania on Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/4/2011 UTC) at Bucharest, -- Not a city, Geographical features, etc. -- Romania

The book is on it's way to lamelemon

Journal Entry 43 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Friday, October 07, 2011

Wow, 18 journalers for this copy :) It's really impressive to be the next stop of such a long-traveled but perfectly shaped book.
Thanks so much EmgeeNL for sending me this book. Also loved the neat packaging, your dots made my day. My Mt. TBR is more threatening each day, but this looks like a fast read so I hope it will be on the road again in no time.

Journal Entry 44 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Totally unexpected, mixed feelings. This was a charming, childish, sensitive story (well, actually "stories" - as "Moonlight Shadow" is the accompanying story of "Kitchen", but they do share common motifs). Sensual in a childish way, shocking through its gender-mixing aspects, impressive through the force of the feelings it comprises - rather a sense of being at a loss and dealing with your grief, than love itself. With small Japanese elements that make the story special. Really enjoyable, and extremely easy to read due to its small size and strong intensity.

Marking as available for 1001-library members.

Journal Entry 45 by lamelemon at , By Post -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/19/2012 UTC) at , By Post -- Controlled Releases

Now travelling to lils74 in Nepal. Thanks for sharing, and happy reading!

Journal Entry 46 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

This arrived safely today--thank you for sending it so far, lamelemon. And so many JEs! I will really enjoy reading them all after I finish the book. It's in amazingly good shape for having travelled so far, too. Will update when I'm done with it.

Journal Entry 47 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Friday, May 11, 2012

started yesterday, done by today. I loved this book. Especially Kitchen. I loved Kitchen. I mean, the second story, was okay, it was fine, but Kitchen, in my opinion, was phenomenal: food and spontaneity and passion and truth about what loss feels like. It was great. The writing also, was lyrical and amazing, without being trite. A great, great book. This is my second book by this author—I read Hard Luck and Hardboiled a few years ago. A great, great writer in the slightly eccentric Japanese style. I love it!