corner corner Amsterdam: A Novel

Amsterdam: A Novel
by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, November 03, 2007

status (set by futurecat): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, November 03, 2007

"On a chilly February day, two old friends meet in the throng outside a London crematorium to pay their last respects to Molly Lane. Both Clive Linley and Vernon Halliday had been Molly's lovers in the days before they reached their current eminence: Clive is Britain's most successful modern composer, and Vernon is editor of the newspaper The Judge. Gorgeous, feisty Molly had other lovers, too, notably Julian Garmony, Foreign Secretary, a notorious right-winger tipped to be the next prime minister.
In the days that follow Molly's funeral, Clive and Vernon will make a pact with consequences that neither could have foreseen. Each will make a disastrous moral decision, their friendship will be tested to its limits, and Julian Garmony will be fighting for his political life."

I have another copy on Mt. TBR. Picked up this one at a library sale.

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, November 03, 2007

Going into my trade paperback bookbox #2.

Journal Entry 3 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Took from trade paperback box #2 by indygo88.

Journal Entry 4 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Good book.
Perfidy is the only word that fits.

A Globe and Mail Notable Book of 1998 and the Booker.

Ian McEwan was born on 21 June 1948 in Aldershot, England. He studied at the University of Sussex, where he received a BA degree in English Literature in 1970. While completing his MA degree in English Literature at the University of East Anglia, he took a creative writing course taught by the novelists Malcolm Bradbury and Angus Wilson.
McEwan's works have earned him worldwide critical acclaim. He won the Somerset Maugham Award in 1976 for his first collection of short stories First Love, Last Rites; the Whitbread Novel Award (1987) and the Prix Fémina Etranger (1993) for The Child in Time; and Germany's Shakespeare Prize in 1999. He has been shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize for Fiction numerous times, winning the award for Amsterdam in 1998. His novel Atonement received the WH Smith Literary Award (2002), National Book Critics' Circle Fiction Award (2003), Los Angeles Times Prize for Fiction (2003), and the Santiago Prize for the European Novel (2004). He was awarded a CBE in 2000. In 2006, he won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for his novel Saturday.

Journal Entry 5 by nuttyreader from Wichita Falls, Texas USA on Monday, August 11, 2008

This is taking a ride in the Everyone's a Winner Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Monday, September 22, 2008

Chosen from Trekwoman's Every One's A Prize Winner bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Saturday, September 27, 2008

I could not get into this book. I read the first several chapters, but it just isn't "my cup of tea" I guess. This is a highly wishlisted book, so I am considering offering it as a bookray.

Journal Entry 8 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Since there were a lot of wishes for this book and it's a 1001 book, I have decided to send it out on an international bookray.

Here are the guidelines for the bookray:
1. Journal the book when you receive it and again after you read it.
2. Please try to read the book within a reasonable amount of time to keep the bookray going.
3. Send a PM to the next participant on the list (below) and mail the book to them. If you have difficulty with contacting the next person on the list, please send a PM to me.
4. If you see a known staller on the list, please send a PM to me.
5. The last person to receive the book may choose what to do with the book after the bookray is finished.

Mailing order:
davemurray101, Australia
mikime, Italy
alassante, Italy
jellyfish67, UK
Moem, Netherlands (keep book at end for 2010 BC Amsterdam convention)

Thanks everyone for making this bookray successful!

Journal Entry 9 by ladybug74 at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (10/1/2008 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to mrsboknows in SC to start the bookray. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 10 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Arrived today. It is 4th in line to be read but the books ahead of it are short. :)

Journal Entry 11 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Monday, October 20, 2008

I found this book to be slightly boring. The only reason I didn't give up on it is because of its length. It is a quick read if you can get into it.

Journal Entry 12 by PalmettoBuckeye at -- By post or by hand --, South Carolina USA on Saturday, November 01, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/1/2008 UTC) at -- By post or by hand --, South Carolina USA

On its way to next in line!

Journal Entry 13 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Monday, November 03, 2008

Received in the mail today. THANX!!

Journal Entry 14 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am so sorry for holding this one up - I just realized it is a bookray/ring. I'll get started on it so I can pass it along!!

Journal Entry 15 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Friday, November 21, 2008

A quick read and nothing like I expected! I enjoyed both the story and the style of writing.

Journal Entry 16 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (11/25/2008 UTC) at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA

On it's way to istop4books . . .

Journal Entry 17 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Saturday, November 29, 2008

Arrived safe and sound. I'm a big McEwan fan, so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 18 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Done! That was a very quick read. It was a slow start with way too many names introduced too quickly and some trade-specific dialog which I found hard to follow, all within the first 20-30 pages. Once I got the names straight (and I wish I had made a cheat sheet with the names and ranks in the beginning); I found the book fascinating. McEwan, as usual, is able to create some very 3-dimensional characters very quickly; give them a moral dilema and tell a story with little to no excess. It is a man's story written by a man, that's for sure; I kept thinking "a woman would never do this." All in all, I liked it, I'm glad I read it, but didn't find it as good as Saturday or Atonement.

Will PM chiboiler and send on.

Journal Entry 19 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mailed it out yesterday. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 20 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

this book arrived in the mail yesterday. I am currently reading a book, but as soon as I finish it, I will start on this one.

Journal Entry 21 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, December 18, 2008

I agree with mrsboknows' earlier comment that I found this book to be a bit of a bore. I also didn't see how the two gentlemans actions toward each other could possibly warrant the consequences at the end.

Short, quick read, though. I whipped through it in three train rides!

Thanks for hosting this ring, ladybug74! Another one off the 1001 list!

Journal Entry 22 by ChiBoiler at Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, December 18, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/18/2008 UTC) at Chicago, Illinois USA

I will be sending this on its way to davemurry101 this afternoon. Hope it makes it to Australia quickly!

Journal Entry 23 by davemurray101 from Maryville, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Arrived in the post today from the US. Thanks to CHiboiler for sending it on and to indygo88 for sharing.
26/12 - Just finished this one. Not quite as good as his other works - he might have been trying to be too much like Martin Amis. Otherwise it appears to be a product of its time (1996), an unpopular media, an unpopular artistic community, community rage about crime and an unpopular government about to be defeated.
Sent PM to mikime to request address details.

Journal Entry 24 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/7/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sending to mikime this morning.

Journal Entry 25 by wingmikimewing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This has just arrived today. Thanks for this bookring and to davemurray101 for sending it. I'm lookig forward to reading this, I'll start straightaway!

Miki

Journal Entry 26 by wingmikimewing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, February 02, 2009

Another fascinating novel by McEwan. I actually kept waiting for the city in the title to show up as main character. It does, but just in the end, in the surprising, dramatic finale. The "turning point" event which is usually at the centre of McEwan's novels is blurred in this one, as blurred as the characters' views on what is moral and what is not. Small everyday things grow to huge problems to them, while important facts and actions and their consequences pass them by or are performed as irrelevant. The extremes they come to are fascinating, in a way. I enjoyed it, all in all. This is going on to alassante very soon. Thanks to the ringmaster for letting me read it! :)

EDIT: the book was sent on Feb. 04

Miki

Journal Entry 27 by alassante from Palermo, Sicilia Italy on Thursday, February 05, 2009

Received today, thanks!

Journal Entry 28 by alassante from Palermo, Sicilia Italy on Monday, February 23, 2009

I have to admit it has been a low start for me too, and I haven't been 100% captivated by the book. Probably because I didn't know exactly what to expect.
Anyway, I am glad I read it, and I think I should read more by McEwan, since apparently this is not his very best novel.

I am going to mail it to the next bookcrosser tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 29 by alassante at book ring/ray, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/24/2009 UTC) at book ring/ray, by mail -- Controlled Releases

on its way to the UK.
Thanks for sharing! :)))

Journal Entry 30 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Arrived safely yesterday.

Journal Entry 31 by jellyfish67 at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/26/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Many apologies for the delay, now on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 32 by Amsterdam2010 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, February 04, 2010

This is the perfect book for the 2010 BC Convention in Amsterdam. It arrived safely in the Netherlands.

Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 33 by Makita21 from Stawell, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 17, 2010

thank you for 'the perfect book' , it has already travelled the world extensively and is going back with me to Australia now.

Journal Entry 34 by Makita21 from Stawell, Victoria Australia on Friday, May 21, 2010

Like others have said before me - a slow start, but once the 'well oiled machine' (back cover) got moving I wanted to keep reading.
Off to FreePages now, who is wishing for the book...

Journal Entry 35 by Makita21 at Avoca, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/26/2010 UTC) at Avoca, Victoria Australia

Mailed off to FreePages today, who has it on her wishlist.
My first release with the NEW BC site :)

Journal Entry 36 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, June 10, 2010

Amsterdam has arrived in Canberra!

Accompanied by a lovely postcard of Dutch traditional bits and bobs.

Thanks so much
xx

Journal Entry 37 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, June 24, 2010

Well, I hope what happened in the book Amsterdam, didn't happen at the book-crossing convention in Amsterdam ;-)
This is the most entertaining of McEwan's books that I've read so far- although I did like Atonement, it is a very different book.
I think I am enjoying McEwan's style the more I read of it. It seems to be growing on me. I started with On Chesil Beach, which I didn't enjoy near as much.
Thanks again for the opportunity to read this - I might make it to the Canberra bookcrossing meet-up this Saturday and see if there are any takers for it there.
:-)

Journal Entry 38 by FreePages at King O'Malley's Pub, Garema Place in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/28/2010 UTC) at King O'Malley's Pub, Garema Place in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Off to the Canberra Meet-up today. I'll try to show everyone the lovely Netherlands postcard too :-)

Journal Entry 39 by Hotfrog at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, October 30, 2010

I didn't really like this book until I came to the ending, found it quite boring as others have said. However a clever surprise ending kind of made it worthwhile reading the book.

I think Skyring has designs on it (thanks for letting me take it last time). Taking it to give back to him at today's meet-up.

Journal Entry 40 by wingSkyringwing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, October 30, 2010

Amsterdam! Geez but I had fun there - not helped by the volcano - and will return one day for more of those rows of tall houses fronting the canals as the boats float by and the bikes rush onwards.

A pleasure to see KissMiss there for a hug or two, not to mention Moem, hard at work making the convention a hit.

Wichita Falls, eh? I'll be in Archer City next April on the way to the DC convention. I'm not going to be at leisure in Texas and miss that fantastic bookshop!

So good to hold a book that has been so many places and held by so many BookCrossers. Isn't that the charm of BookCrossing? Bringing together books and readers. Glad to be another link in the chain.

Journal Entry 41 by wingSkyringwing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Amsterdam connection was kind of minimal, which bugged me a bit - I was hoping for a novel about this wonderful old city full of quirky folk.

Oh well, apart from that, it was well constructed and kept me going, if only to see how it all panned out.

Journal Entry 42 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Picked up at the 2011 Wellington Uncon.

^ ^