corner corner Plain Truth

Plain Truth
by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Wandelaartje of Hoofddorp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 11/3/2007

status (set by Wandelaartje): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by Wandelaartje from Hoofddorp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 03, 2007

A shocking murder shatters the picturesque calm of Pennsylvania's Amish country - and tests the heart and soul of the lawyer, who steps in to defend the young woman at the centre of the storm...

From consumerhelpweb:

Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth is a suspenseful story about a murder trial. A newborn baby is found dead. The only real suspect is the baby's young unwed mother. Not a new story, but Plain Truth is set in Lancaster County, PA. Katie Fisher, the murder suspect is "Plain", or Amish, and murder is unheard of in the Amish community.
Ellie Hathaway, a Philadelphia defense attorney, reluctantly agrees to defend Katie. As part of the bail agreement, Ellie must move into the Fisher farmhouse to serve as custodian over Katie until the trial. What follows is a forced assimilation of cultures that is at times heartwarming, at other times tense and confrontational.
The story itself is engaging. The reader is drawn in and may have a difficult time putting the book down. We get to know the many characters. I felt a connection to and liking for each of them. There was not a single character in the book that I disliked.
We sympathize with Katie. She is young and sheltered, but, at the same time rather worldly. Given her personality and upbringing, we can not really believe in her guilt, but the facts of the case force us to question the events of the baby's death and Katie's involvement.
Ellie works hard to win her case, but just as hard as she fights for Katie's freedom, she is fighting her own demons. Raw from the ending of a long-term relationship, Ellie very clearly hears the ticking of her biological clock. Having desperately wanted a baby for years, and having to face the fact that she may never fulfill that dream; Ellie has a very difficult time defending her client on charges of neonatacide.
The story of the investigation and trial is compelling. There are twists and turns that keep the reader guessing what really happened the night of the baby's death. Even more riveting are the psychological and social themes that Picoult has woven into her novel.

Plain Truth explores the issue of identity, and how the concept of identity differs so dramatically between the "English" and the "Plain" communities. In an American court, defendants strive to prove their innocence and avoid punishment. In the Amish culture, individuals strive for acceptance, and will confess to crimes or wrongdoings for which they have no "guilt" in order to gain forgiveness and continued acceptance in the community. While Ellie strives to absolve her client of guilt, Katie wants only to "confess" so that she can return to her family and church, and resume a normal life. The concepts of innocence and guilt are less important to Katie than the reality of forgiveness and acceptance.

Picoult does a wonderful job in demystifying the Amish. By depicting their lives and beliefs, they do not appear backwards or primitive - just a bit different. We understand their faith and their customs. Their lifestyle does not seem strange, but rather serene and wholesome.

Plain Truth is about romantic love, love of family, and the conflicts that may emerge between the two. It speaks of the concepts of individuality and identity. Perhaps mostly it is about truth and forgiveness. Plain Truth explores how truth is not always what it seems, and how forgiveness may be the greatest gift that we, as humans, can give or accept.

Picoult is a brilliant story teller. In addition, she has the ability to make the reader think. I loved this novel! It kept me entertained; it taught me of a culture about which I had little knowledge; and it made me think about issues of morality. Clearly a five star novel, Plain Truth is a book that I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend.

published: 25 Oct 2004
isbn: 0-340-83547-8
publisher: Flame
format: Paperback
pages: 480

gewicht: 320 gram
Verzendkosten: € 2,20
Mag open verzonden worden.

Voor meer informatie over de Amish, een protestantse woongemeenschap in Noord-Amerika die leven in agrarische gemeenschappen zoals iedereen in het begin van de 19e eeuw leefde met de bijbehorende oude ambachten en de 19e eeuwse klederdracht van het platteland:

Journal Entry 2 by Wandelaartje from Hoofddorp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, November 04, 2007

Omdat het nogal een dikkerd is maak ik er een "slow"ring van zodat iedereen ruim de tijd heeft om het boek rustig te lezen.

Meelezers:

5.gabrielereads
6.dutch-book
7.serendipity-
En weer terug naar Wandelaartje. <---Het boek is nu hier

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Today I received this book by mail. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, December 30, 2007

I really liked this book. I knew a bit about the Amish before reading it, but being plain implies more then I could ever have imagined. I liked the pace of the book and the amount of detail in the characters. There is something I didn't like, but I will put it in white. (If you wish to read it, just highlight it)
As in another book by this author, I didn't like the final page. It seems to me the writer has trouble finding an ending which she is satisfied with, so she has to come up with something out of the blue.

I'll contact Jordanne to get this book on it's way again.
edit 03/01/08: Book will be mailed out today.

Journal Entry 5 by Jordanne from Landgraaf, Limburg Netherlands on Saturday, January 05, 2008

I received this book yesterday and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Lately the ringbooks have started to accumulate again and it's very hard to choose which one I'll read first!

Thanks for ringing Wandelaartje and AnnevO for sending it to me (by the way, postage was fine!)

Journal Entry 6 by Jordanne from Landgraaf, Limburg Netherlands on Thursday, January 17, 2008

I really liked this book, though I think it became a bit less interesting when it came to the trial-part. I agree that Jodi Picoult is really good at describing characters, events and keeping a nice pace.
I am so curious to know what others think of this book, I think this might just be one of my favorite books of 2008 and it is only January!

Thanks again for ringing Wandelaartje!

Journal Entry 7 by Jordanne at Bookring in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 24, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (2/24/2008 UTC) at Bookring in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Op weg naar dutchbooky

Journal Entry 8 by dutchbooky from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 01, 2008

Lag bij de stapel post die ik thuis aantrof na een weekje vakantie! Mijn andere ringboek was net uit, dus ik ga dit weekend in deze beginnen!

Journal Entry 9 by dutchbooky from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, March 13, 2008

About 20 years ago I visited Lancaster and saw Amish in their buggies, stores and on their farms. This book brought back quite a few of those memories. I find it amazing that people can live by the rules that are set in their community and are quite happy doing so. Yet I also feel the tension it brings. Picoult describes this very well and I enjoyed this book from beginning to end! I will look out for her other books.

Thanks for sharing this, Wandelaartje! I will PM gabrielereads for her address and mail it forward!

(Edit: a view spelling mistakes..)

Journal Entry 10 by dutchbooky from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 15, 2008

In the mail to gabrielereads!

Journal Entry 11 by gabrielereads from Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Thursday, March 20, 2008

Was in the mail today. Thank you, it has been on my wish-list for a long time.

Journal Entry 12 by gabrielereads from Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, May 09, 2008

I found the description of the Amish way of life and their way of dealing with everyday problems very interesting and often touching. The sessions in the court of law were sometimes a little tiring and I found the end quite shocking. On the whole this was a very good read. Thank you Wandelaartje for sharing this with us, and also for giving us the chance to read this in our own time. I shall pm dutch-book for his or her address.

Journal Entry 13 by gabrielereads from Bergen op Zoom, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Vandaag opgestuurd naar dutch-book. Veel leesplezier. PS: bij het opsturen dun inpakken anders past het niet in de brievenbus.

Journal Entry 14 by dutch-book from Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 22, 2008

I received this book yesterday and will read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 15 by dutch-book from Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ha, finished the book. Quite enjoyed it, but the book could have been shorter. Wondering about the next story, My sister's keeper.
I'll send serendipity- a PM for her adress.
Sent today (4th of February) to the next participant of this bookring.

Journal Entry 16 by serendipity- from Wateringen, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, February 08, 2009

The book has arrived safely. I really love Jodi Picoult. Can't wait to start reading. Thank you, Dutch-Book for sending this book

Journal Entry 17 by serendipity- from Wateringen, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Zoals altijd heb ik weer enorm genotetn van dit boek van Jodi Picoult. Wat een goed verhaal zeg. Ik stuur het boek door naar de volgende

Journal Entry 18 by Wandelaartje from Hoofddorp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, March 23, 2009

Plain Truth is weer veilig thuis!