corner corner Rebecca

Rebecca
by Daphne du Maurier | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Rivercassini of London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 29, 2007

status (set by abitstormyout): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 29, 2007

This came with a large lot of books we bought at auction recently. Most of the lot have been added to our shop stock but this one doesn’t fit our subject specialities and, as I already have a copy of my own anyway, therefore will be passed on via bookcrossing.

There's an excellent review here:

Rebecca, with thanks to Chris High

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 29, 2007

I'm opening this book up as a book ray (ie I don't want it back at the end of its travels). If you would like to join, please send me a PM with your name and country of where you live. Please also say if are not prepared to post internationally - otherwise I will assume that you can.(I'll try to order the list so that postage costs are kept to a minimum).

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and remember that life gets in the way sometimes for all of us!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say six weeks or a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in a journal entry so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants
VeganMedusa (NZ) (NZ/Canada/US)
ChiBoiler (US) (anywhere)
RubyBlueLady (UK) (anywhere)
KenseyRiver (UK) (no preference)

Last person on the list gets to keep or pass on the book as they wish.

Journal Entry 3 by Rivercassini from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 29, 2007

Will post my comments here when I've read my other copy.

Journal Entry 4 by Rivercassini at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 01, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (11/2/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its travels - all the way to New Zealand. Sent surface so it might take a few weeks.

Journal Entry 5 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thanks River! I'm on holiday just now but hubby will bring the book when he comes on Saturday. Some good holiday reading. :)

Journal Entry 6 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sorry, I thought I'd PMed the next person already but maybe I forgot. Have just done it anyway.
My poor son got a bit ignored today because I was too engrossed in Rebecca! Very suspenseful towards the end.
Great insight too, into how the rich live(d), it must have been so boring lounging around the morning room, the library, etc waiting for tea to be brought - and then drinking 3 cups with scones and different kinds of cakes! How did these people not get fat?!
I'm glad now I know what people are talking about when they mention Mrs Danvers - evil!.
Thanks Rivercassini!

Journal Entry 7 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Posted today to ChiBoiler - economy, which would be 13-25 days except for the Xmas period, so who knows. ;-)

Journal Entry 8 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 09, 2007

I just received this book today! I will read it asap!

Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 16, 2007

Thanks so much for offering this as a bookray, Rivercassini. I was very pleasantly surprised as I feel I have not had much luck with the books on the 1001 list. At the beginning, I did find the main (unnamed) female character to be quite annoying. I was frustrated with her lack of confidence and if she had hid behind a door one more time because she was so intimidated by her servants, I may have screamed.

But, when the twist came in the story, I couldn't put it down and could not wait to see what happened. And although I felt the story ended rather abruptly, it was almost the perfect way for the book to end.

I have the address for the next reader on the list and I will mail the book out tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy it!

12/17/2007 - Mailed out today - post office said it takes about a week, but may be longer due to holidays. With a little luck, the book should arrive before Christmas!

Journal Entry 10 by RubyBlueLady from Avebury, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

This little old book arrived yesterday, many thanks. I shall read it soon.

Journal Entry 11 by RubyBlueLady from Avebury, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2008

Sadly the font in this book is just too small for my middle-aged eyes so I'm going to have to pass and post it on to KenseyRiver :-(

Journal Entry 12 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2008

Finally, I get around to reading the book I am named after (my real name, not my bookcrossing name)! Also, what a nice old copy.

Journal Entry 13 by KenseyRiver at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, August 08, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/9/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

To be released at the Ipswich meetup. Hopefully, it will find a kind and compassionate friend, who will look after its rather fragile pages.

P.S. Was slightly disturbed that my mother named me after the character in the book, now I've read it. Was she feeling rather ambivalent about motherhood?

Journal Entry 14 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008

Brought home from the Ipswich Meet today. Such a beautiful, gently worn copy!!

Journal Entry 15 by abitstormyout at BensonBlakes in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, January 23, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/24/2009 UTC) at BensonBlakes in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taken to the first Bury Meet!