corner corner God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens | Religion & Spirituality
Registered by GateGypsy of Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on 10/25/2007

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2007

from the backleaf:
"From the author hailed as "one of the most brilliant journalists of our time" (London Observer) comes a book that re-defines the debate about religion in public lief. With his unique brand of erudition and wit, Christopher Hitchens addresses the most urgent issue of today: the malignant force of religion in the world.
In this eloquent argument with the faithful, Hitchens makes the ultimate case against religion (and for a more secular approach to life) through a close and learned reading of the major religious texts.
Hitchens tells the personal story of his own dangerous encounters with religion and describes his intellectual journey toward a secular view o flife based on science and reason, in which the heavens are replaced by the Hubble telescope's awesome view of the universe, and Moses and the burning bush give way to the beauty and symmery of the double helix. "God did not make us," he writes. "We made God." Religion, he explains, is a distortion of our origins, our nature, and the cosmos. We damage our children -- and endanger our world -- by indoctrinating them.
Whether lifelong believer, devout atheist, or someone who remains uncertain about the role of religion in our lives, you will want to consider and engage in the arguments within these pages."

I picked this book up because it was on VeganMedusa's wishlist!

Journal Entry 2 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2007

This is in the mail as of today, on its way to New Zealand as a birthday gift to VeganMedusa. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Friday, January 11, 2008

Thank you! I've been looking forward to this one (even if he's preaching to the converted).

Journal Entry 4 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, June 05, 2008

This was a bit of a rant, really. But he knows his stuff - bible, koran and some of the history of the church and religions. I did get a bit annoyed with him mentioning people or events in passing and just assuming that I knew all about them/it. I think I might get another copy to keep, so I can google while I read. :)
I'd like to have a PC copy of this, The God Delusion and The End of Faith (the unholy trio) and re-read them regularly. I'm so terrible at arguing that it might help me to absorb some of the good arguments to fling at the evangelist-type people.

I posted this yesterday to brewski for a wishlist relay.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nr. 1 latest

This arrived while I was away on vacation. Thanks again, I am looking forward to reading this very soon.

Journal Entry 6 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This book really offers something for everyone in the spectrum of religious belief.

For the atheist, this book reaffirms and clarifies points the atheist probably already knows well. However, I thought Hitchens was able to present the evidence pretty clearly and in an enjoyable manner. I don't know if any of the evidence presented in the course of this book would startle a seasoned atheist, but I personally found myself learning new and interesting bits.

For the agnostic, this book is probably all it would take to push you into the realm of affirmed atheist.

For the religiously inclined, this book will almost undoubtedly offer a fair bit of offense. Hitchens seems to enjoy pointing out the various flaws in today's popular religions, but seems to take special pleasure in disassembling Islam.

However, whatever your level of faith, this book is both interesting and illuminating if read with an open mind. I did run into a similar problem as VeganMedusa in that some of the bits that Hitchens mentioned in passing I didn't have a good enough background to know off the top of my head.

Journal Entry 7 by brewski at Los Angeles, California USA on Saturday, December 27, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/27/2008 UTC) at Los Angeles, California USA

Mailed off to my younger brother during our December trip to Erie, PA.