corner corner Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction
Registered by blackwidow1971 of Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 25, 2007

status (set by Samrana): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by blackwidow1971 from Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 25, 2007

Collection of short stories, translated from Japanese.

I loved these, which I wasn't expecting to (I'd read reviews of the author's work and dismissed them as not my sort of thing). Some were quite straightforward, others completely surreal, but in a good way!

I will definitely read some of his novels now.

Journal Entry 2 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, May 19, 2008

Picked up at the Cherry Tree meet on Saturday.

Journal Entry 3 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, April 28, 2012

I like the surreal elements of Murakami's novels but sometimes, in stories of this length, they seem like a bit of a cop-out - a way of short-cutting to an inconclusive ending. I'm not surprised therefore that some of them were the starts or inspirations for longer pieces - I can imagine the characters and situations refusing to leave him alone. I cannot deny the pleasure I get from the process of reading them, finding things like the fireworks simile on page 325. My favourites werre towards the end: the name-stealing monkey, the mother who loses her surfer son, Dabchick made me smile, The Mirror made me think.

Journal Entry 4 by Caterinaanna at Urban Coffee Company, Church St in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at Urban Coffee Company, Church St in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Dear Reader,
If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome. Thank you for taking the time to call in here and tell us that you have found this book and, perhaps, what you have thought of it.
This book is now yours to do with as you choose. Keep it, pass it on, or leave it around for someone to find; but please leave the label so it can keep in touch with us. If you would like to share in its future travels, and find out what other people think of it, then do join us using the link at the top of the page: BookCrossing is free, private and fun!
And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, CaterinaAnna, as your referring member.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSamranawing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Picked up at BC Birmingham meet-up. I wasn't going to pick up any today but then I saw this....and have started it already, so it has jumped the queue of my books to be read.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSamranawing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2012

I read some of these stories in April and then read others as and when. A few of them made me want to know more about the characters, the situations, or what 'really' happened. I think this is a good thing as it meant that I invested in the characters, but in some stories wanting more may have come from the feeling that there wasn't an actual ending, but rather a opening up of different possibilities. In some cases e.g. in 'Nausea' and 'Crabs' this seemed very apparent in a not so satisfying sort of way, and in others e.g. 'Tony Takitani' and 'Chance Traveller' it revealed the brilliance that is Murakami - of whom I will always want more.

Passing on to juiako.