corner corner Max and the Cats

Max and the Cats
by Moacyr Scliar | Literature & Fiction
Registered by brewski of Markham, Ontario Canada on 10/17/2007

status (set by Jean-Sol): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Nr. 1 latest

Ordered from indigo.ca in October 2007.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 21, 2008

Definitely an interesting read, especially in light of the allegations surrounding Life of Pi and this novella. The story itself was captivating and I flew through this short little novella. I have plans on sending this on to another BookObsessor :)

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Dropping this in the mail today.

Journal Entry 4 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, February 11, 2008

What a surprise. I was expecting one book from brewski and got this added little bonus. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Very quick and interesting read.

Journal Entry 6 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, February 25, 2008

Sending off as a surprise wishlist RABCK

Journal Entry 7 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thanks Patti! I already read part of this right after I opened it. LOL It is definitely good. I can't wait to sit down and finish it.
*************
Book Description

Max Schmidt grew up in the stockroom of his father's fur store, cloaked among the foxes, minks, and leopards, hiding from the glaring eyes of a stuffed tiger atop the wardrobe. It is here he dreams of traveling to distant lands; and here, as a young man, he begins an affair with the store's married clerk.

Forced to flee when his lover's husband discovers the affair and denounces Max to the Nazi secret police, Max steals away to Hamburg, where he takes passage on a freighter destined for disaster. When the ship founders somewhere off the coast of South America, Max is trapped in a dinghy with a hungry jaguar. Max believes his days are numbered-until he washes ashore on the coast of tiny Porto Alegre, Brazil, prepared to begin anew in the tropical clime.

But when Max discovers his next-door neighbor is a Nazi hiding from persecution, he finds that for the first time in his life, he is the master of his own destiny, ready to take matters into his own hands

Journal Entry 8 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Monday, March 03, 2008

Delightful little book. I would love to read something else by this author. And yes I can see where Yann Martel stole the idea from this book with the cat in the boat. ;)

Journal Entry 9 by cheesygiraffe at BookMooch, BookMooch -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 11, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (8/11/2008 UTC) at BookMooch, BookMooch -- Controlled Releases

Sent to lmn60 via BookMooch.
Enjoy Lynn!

Journal Entry 10 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Friday, August 29, 2008

Ooops! Forgot to journal this one when it arrived earlier this week! I'm intrigued to read this one... and given the size of Mt TBR, expect to get to it within the next 5 years!!!

Journal Entry 11 by winglmn60wing at Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 27, 2015

OOps! Actually took me LONGER than five years!

I really enjoyed this slim little volume - intriguing ideas expressed in deceptively simple ways! And .. yes... the link between this one and Life of Pi is very clear :)

Will take this one to meetup in hopes another bookcrosser will enjoy it too!

Journal Entry 12 by winglmn60wing at NOSH, Hall St in Newport, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 27, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (9/27/2015 UTC) at NOSH, Hall St in Newport, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, lmn60, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 27, 2015

A well-travelled book which was thrown in my hands by lmn60 today at the meetup before I had even sat down! I couldn't say no, plus she was right as I am now totally intrigued by the Life of Pi plundering theory! So will read and report back my findings and observations...