corner corner Life On The Refrigerator Door

Life On The Refrigerator Door
by Alice Kuipers | Literature & Fiction
Registered by deereads of Barrie, Ontario Canada on 10/14/2007

status (set by ChristyLove): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by deereads from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 14, 2007

I saw this one reviewed in the newspaper and thought it looked interesting.

From the Publisher:
Life on the Refrigerator Door is a poignant and deeply moving first novel about the bonds of love and frustration that tie mothers and daughters together. Told entirely in a series of notes left on the kitchen fridge — some casual, some intimate, some funny, some angry — it is the story of nine months in the life of 15-year-old Claire and her single mother. Preoccupied with their busy separate lives, rarely in the same room at the same time, they talk to each other in a series of short snippets that reflect the daily drama of school, boyfriends, work and chores that make up their days. Yet the mundane soon becomes extraordinary when a crisis overtakes their lives — a momentous change that will redefine their relationship and unfold in their exchanges on the refrigerator door.

Short, powerful and unforgettable, Kuipers’ novel looks deep into the complex relationship between mothers and daughters, and the distances that can open up between people who live together but exist in their own worlds. Unfolding in a wonderfully simple and intimate narrative, Life on the Refrigerator Door will appeal to readers across the generations, delivering universal lessons about love.

Journal Entry 2 by deereads from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A quick but powerful read. I enjoyed this one and made me want to call up my Mom!!

Journal Entry 3 by deereads at Barrie Medical Clinic in Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (4/15/2008 UTC) at Barrie Medical Clinic in Barrie, Ontario Canada

Welcome to Bookcrossing. Thank you for catching this book! I hope you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It's free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey. Reading it is not required, though is encouraged. You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join up I hope you will consider using me, deereads, as the one who referred you.

Journal Entry 4 by ChristyLove from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This book caught my eye in the walk-in clinic waiting room in Barrie. I was looking for a magazine that I hadn't already read on one of my recent visits to the clinic when I saw a book on top of the shelf. I thought it odd that there was a book there and was intriqued enough to pick it up. Upon opening the book I found the bookcrossing plate and immeidately wanted to know more. I couldn't wait to get home and check out this site. While waiting in the clinic I became pretty engrossed in the book and didn't want to put it down. I ended up finishing the book in a few hours after reluctantly putting it down now and then to attend to kids and kitties. By then end of the book I was crying. Very moving and touching story that is unique and original in it's style and very honest in it's language. A must read for any mom that's been through teen years with a daughter.

I am passing the book on to my daughters (I have 3) to read before I rerelease it into the wild. Finding this book made my day, and up to that point it hadn't been the greatest of days. For a few hours I was caught up in another's drama instead of all the drama that has surrounded my life .Thank you deereads for sharing this book and site with me. I will definately be passing it on.

ChristyLove

Journal Entry 5 by ChristyLove at Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 05, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/5/2008 UTC) at Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket, Ontario Canada

I left this book on a coffee table on the Upper Level of the mall. I hope the next reader enjoys this book as much as I did.