corner corner The Secret River

The Secret River
by Kate Grenville | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bookworm76 of Kedron, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by bookworm76 from Kedron, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Secret River is the story of Grenville’s ancestors, who wrested a new life from the alien terrain of Australia and its native people. William Thornhill, a Thames bargeman, is deported to the New South Wales colony in what would become Australia in 1806. In this new world of convicts and charlatans, Thornhill tries to pull his family into a position of power and comfort. When he rounds a bend in the Hawkesbury River and sees a gentle slope of land, he becomes determined to make the place his own. But, as uninhabited as the island appears, Australia is full of native people, and they do not take kindly to Thornhill’s theft of their home. The Secret River is the tale of Thornhill’s deep love for his small corner of the new world, and his slow realization that if he wants to settle there, he must ally himself with the most despicable of the white settlers, and to keep his family safe, he must permit terrifying cruelty to come to innocent people.

Journal Entry 2 by bookworm76 from Kedron, Queensland Australia on Friday, December 21, 2007

This book was really good. A very interesting tale of her family history.

I am giving this to my mother.

Journal Entry 3 by bookworm76 at on Friday, December 21, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (12/21/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Stafford, Queensland Australia

Given to my mother who will take it on the nomad circuit

Journal Entry 4 by Iona08 from Kingaroy, Queensland Australia on Friday, December 21, 2007

got this from my daughter

Journal Entry 5 by Iona08 from Kingaroy, Queensland Australia on Sunday, February 24, 2008

a very good read

Journal Entry 6 by Iona08 at Jowarra park rest area in Beerwah, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 01, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (3/1/2008 UTC) at Jowarra park rest area in Beerwah, Queensland Australia

in shelter shed in park

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, March 07, 2008

I found the book at a rest area and really liked it. I will releas it somewhere on our trip around Australia. Who ever finds it hope you enjoy it:-)

CAUGHT IN JOWARRA REST AREA NEAR COULANDRA (10KM) QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA