corner corner The Black-Headed Pins (Rue Morgue Vintage Mystery)

The Black-Headed Pins (Rue Morgue Vintage Mystery)
by Constance Little, Gwenyth Little | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Daelith of Memphis, Tennessee USA on 10/4/2007

status (set by PepperVL): available

Journal Entry 1 by Daelith from Memphis, Tennessee USA on Thursday, October 04, 2007

Library sale book

With her bank account down to empty, orphaned Leigh Smith has no choice but to take a job as a paid companion and housekeeper to the miserly Mrs. Ballister. However, once she moves into the drafty, creaking old Ballister mansion in the wilds of New Jersey, Smithy has reason to regret her decision. But when Mrs. Ballister decides to invite her nieces and nephews for Christmas, Smithy sees the possibility for some fun. What she doesn’t expect is to encounter the Ballister family curse. It seems that when a dragging noise is heard in the attic it foretells the death of a Ballister. And once a Ballister dies, if you don’t watch the body until it’s buried, it’s likely to walk. The stockings are barely hung from the mantle when those dreaded sounds are heard in the attic, and before long, corpses are going for regular midnight strolls. Smithy and a pair of potential beaux turn detective and try to figure out why the murderer leaves black-headed pins at the scene of every crime. Filled with the eccentric characters and odd plot twists typical of a Little mystery, The Black-Headed Pins first appeared in 1938 and was the second book by the two queens of the wacky cozy.

Journal Entry 2 by Daelith from Memphis, Tennessee USA on Thursday, October 18, 2007

I enjoyed reading this cozy. I've always liked old 30's and 40's black and white mystery movies and this read just like one of those.

Sent to SciFisstrs for Christmas Mystery Swap 2007

Journal Entry 3 by SciFisstrs from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 15, 2007

Just got this today. Thanks Dae :)

Journal Entry 4 by SciFisstrs from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, February 04, 2008

This story did read like an old fashioned mystery. I had to laugh with some of the things that were said. It was funny to look at it that way. Very enjoyable cozy. And am looking forward to reading more of Constance and Gwenyth Little's books :D

Journal Entry 5 by SciFisstrs from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Black- Headed Pins is traveling to CheriePie's house.
Enjoy Cherie!

Journal Entry 6 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thanks Sci! You rock! :*
Well... there were at least 3 of us after this particular book in the Christmas Mystery Swap. And when Sci offered to send this on to me after she read it, I immediately took her up on it... the neat thing being, I have person #3 as one of my birthday partners this year. *whistle* So it'll be neat to be able to send this her way come October (after I've read it first of course) ;) and see if she remembers. LOL

Journal Entry 7 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Friday, September 26, 2008

This was an entertaining little cozy that has definitely stood the test of time. Originally published back in 1938, the Little sisters were pioneers of the cozy mystery genre, though I'm not even sure if it was called that back then.

The story takes place in a drafty, old mansion, owned by a miserly, old woman named Mrs. Ballister. Living in the house with Mrs. Ballister is her cook, Doris, and her housekeeper and companion, Leigh Smith. It's Leigh who narrates the story, which is told from the first person point-of-view.

Mrs. Ballister has decided to call all her nieces and nephews together for a Christmas party at her house. Yet the night before everyone is to arrive, a strange dragging sound is heard coming from the attic up above. Mrs. Ballister is immediately on alert and tells Leigh that the noise portends the coming death of someone from the Ballister family who will meet with a fatal accident, and that if the body is not watched until it is buried, it will walk again! Unfortunately, with a number of relatives due to arrive tomorrow, this is not very welcome news.

And so the story goes.... One by one, several of the relatives begin to meet with unfortunate accidents around the house. And always the night before each incident, the strange dragging sound is heard up in the attic. With the help of Joe the cop and Berg's friend Richard, Leigh finds herself playing sleuth and stealing through the large house looking for clues. But will they be able to figure out who's behind it all before the mystery haunter strikes again?

This is now reserved for Pepper as a surprise in her birthday package.

Journal Entry 8 by CheriePie at Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, September 27, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (9/27/2008 UTC) at Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Going to Pepper in her Birthday package. I hope she'll remember this from the swap where we both wanted it. (Sci did too and she went out with it, but then sent it to me after and then on to Pepper, so we all 3 got to read it after all.) :P

Journal Entry 9 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Came as part of my birthday package! I did remember it... I had this momentary thought of "was I owed this?" *giggles*

Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 10 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, January 04, 2009

This was a very cute little book, though it did take me a bit to get into it. I didn't like the characters at first, but a lot of them (Leigh especially) grew on me. Like Sci, I was laughing at some of the things that were said (and reminding myself when it was written for others that came close to offending me).

Quite enjoyable. This is AVL for now, but I'm sure I'll find a place to offer it.