corner corner The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction
Registered by nawoo82 of Brisbane, Queensland Australia on 9/28/2007

status (set by nawoo82): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 28, 2007

Fiction/semi-biography based on true events... A book just as I love them.
I read this book on my tube travels so it took me quite a lot of time to get through it and allowed me to enjoy it to the maximum.

It is beautifully told.! I must admit that I was not aware that there used to be a time when Afghanistan was not a country devastated by wars and guerillas. This book takes us back to these peaceful times and shows us a side of Afghanistan so different from today. A jewel!

Blurb from the back cover: "Twelve-year-old Amir is desperate to gain the approval of his father and resolves to win the local kite-fighting tournament, to prove that he has the makings of a man. His loyal friend Hassan promises to help him - for he akways helps Amir - but this is 1970s Afghanistan and Hassan is merely a low-caste servant who is jeered at in the street, although Amir feels jealous of his natural courage and the place he holds in his father's heart. But neither of the boys could foresee what would happen to Hassan on the afternoon of the tournament, which was to shatter their lives. After the Russians invade and the family is forced to flee to America, Amir realises that one day he must return, to find the one thing that his new world cannot grant him: redemption".

Journal Entry 2 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Going on an international ring.

The rules:
1) Please make a journal entry when the book is received.

2) When you have finished the book, let us know what you thought about it in another journal entry.

3) PM the next participant (it is usually better to do this before finishing the book as some people might be difficult to reach and PMs don't always work).

4) Turnover is usually about a month. If you need more than a month to read the book there's no problem, but please keep us updated. If you've had the book for 2 months or so I'll probably send you a reminder.

5) I reserve myself the right not to add someone to the list if they are known stallers. I usually do a quick forum search and have a look on everyone's bookshelves. I am not very mean though, I will only ban people who have stalled lots of rings for a very long time.

Participants list (order subject to change):
_ vampirequeen (UK) - ship UK/Europe
_ sharonrocks (UK) - ship Int'l
_ Martin1960 (UK)
_ 24-7-365Reader (UK)
_ ETMadrid (Spain)
_ AgdaAgulina (Czech Republic)

Journal Entry 3 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 11, 2007

On its way to vampirequeen! I have posted the book today, fingers crossed that the Royal Mail strikes will stop long enough for the book to reach its destination.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, October 12, 2007

Wow that was quick! Arrived this morining, now I have too many books to read! Nah, can never have too many!
Well this looks good and I have started already, so shall read it and send it, as usual.

Journal Entry 5 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sorry I took so long, but I was swamped with Bookrings! But am done now and think this was a brilliant book. Thanks for lending it out nawoo82!
Not sure if I'll go see the movie tho, might ruin it.
Right it's ready to go now so I shall send it off asap.

EDIT 16.1.08. Sent off today finally. It's on its way to Supertellp now

Journal Entry 6 by supertellp from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

forgot to say that i had received it. Santaclaus put this book in my stocking so am going to forward it on its journey to Canada

Journal Entry 7 by supertellp at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, February 01, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (2/1/2008 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent off to Cananda!!

Journal Entry 8 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd give you an update on 'Teh Kite Runner' as it hasn't been journalled in a while.

I have sent repeated PMs to txjenn who answered once to let me know she had the book and would journal it ASAP. I haven't heard anything since then and am not receiving any answers to PMs. I have now lost any hope of the book being sent on by txjenn.

I don't want to let the other participants in the bookring down so I will get another copy ASAP and send it on to the next person on the list.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Journal Entry 9 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

ETMadrid has obtained a copy of The Kite Runner and has very generously proposed to keep this ray going with thei copy.
The order of the list of participants has been 're-jiggled' a little bit to fit postage requirements.

You will find a link to ETMadrid's copy here