corner corner Killing Yourself to Live

Killing Yourself to Live
by Chuck Klosterman | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Tintti of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 9/26/2007

status (set by Lukutoukka): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

From back cover:
For 6,557 miles, from New York to Mississippi to Seattle, Chuck Klosterman decided to chase rock 'n' roll and death across a continent. Twenty-one days later, after three relationships, an encounter with various cotton-mouth snakes, and a night spent snorting cocaine in a graveyard, Klosterman started to order his thoughts on American culture and the meaning of celebrity.
Uproariously funny and smart meditation on life, death, celebrity, music, why the greatest career move any musician can make is to stop breathing...and what that means for the rest of us.

I love travel books and books about rock music and musicians, so my expectations were high. Maybe too high, because the book didn't quite meet them. Killing yourself to live isn't a book about rock music, and it is not a travel book either. It is a book about Chuck Klosterman talking about himself and his relationships with women, with a few mentions about rock stars and places they died. I was really disappointed, although I have to admit that Klosterman's writing is okay and he even manages to be a bit funny(ish) a couple of times.

Only those who have read this book (or at least the last pages of it) understand this, but I just want to say that I totally agree with Lucy Chance. Chuck should've believed her.

I keep the book in my permanent collection for a while, because my boyfriend is going to read it.

Journal Entry 2 by Tintti at Suomenlinna in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 02, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/7/2008 UTC) at Suomenlinna in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Kirja vapautuu BC-kesäpäivillä.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, June 07, 2008

Kesäpäivien kirjabuffetista mukaan.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, June 15, 2012

"Ultimately, the author should have listened to his friend Lucy Chance."

Yes, he should have.

As a matter of fact I agree with Tintti's journal entry.
"Killing yourself to live isn't a book about rock music, and it is not a travel book either. It is a book about Chuck Klosterman talking about himself and his relationships with women."
And there was something pretentious about the whole book...

I only finished reading this because I needed "K" for the alphabet challenge on the Finnish forum.

Journal Entry 5 by Lukutoukka at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I took this at our Tampere meeting. It goes to my much too high TBR Everest... ;)

Journal Entry 6 by Lukutoukka at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, June 20, 2012