corner corner The White Castle

The White Castle
by Orhan Pamuk | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bluecat07 of Karben, Hessen Germany on 9/26/2007

status (set by LaPitchoune): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

From the Back Cover
The White Castle, Orhan Pamuk's celebrated first novel, is the tale of a young Italian scholar. Captured by pirates between Venice and Naples, he is put up for auction at the Istanbul slave market, and bought by a Turkish savant eager to learn about scientific and intellectual advances in the West. But as they bond over each other's sins and secrets, and their relationship grows increasingly complex, master and slave find themselves part of the Sultan's army, and on a journey that will lead them, ultimately, to the White Castle.

Journal Entry 2 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Sunday, October 14, 2007

Just finished this book. I really liked it although Pamuks style has its lengths sometimes. A very interesting and though provoking read which reminded me of other books with a "Doppelgänger" motive...

Another birthday RABCK for UnwrittenLibra. Will be on its way to him tomorrow. With the best wishes to your birthday, Jacob!

Journal Entry 3 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Friday, October 26, 2007

A birthday surprise from my Birthday RABCK experiment buddy - bluecat07! Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 4 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, February 14, 2010

Started this one last week while staying with friends in Ma'ale Adumim, on the West Bank, and finished this past weekend while staying with family on Kibbutz Gesher HaZiv near Naharia in northern Israel.

A short read, but truthfully, unimpressive. This is my second try at reading an Orhan Pamuk novel, Snow being my first, and I really don't feel compelled to pick up another of his. Oh well, at least it's one book off my TBR mountain for good.

Off as a RABCK to the winner of my contest. Thanks again bluecat07 for your continual gifting!

Journal Entry 5 by LaPitchoune from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 18, 2010

The book arrived. Wonderful. Thanks! :D