corner corner Sahara

Sahara
by Michael Palin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Sobergirl of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 9/20/2007

status (set by candyrush): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, September 20, 2007

Amazon.co.uk Review
Michael Palin's personality is a combination of some very disparate elements, many of them displayed at their most attractive in Sahara. There's the friendly, avuncular manner; the easy-going charm that women find so attractive; and that vein of surrealistic, sardonic humour that is the legacy of his Monty Python days. All these characteristics combined to create the perfect host for the ambitious travel programmes with which he's latterly been associated. The shows (and the handsome companion books that invariably accompany them) avoid the sometimes over-serious approach of other presenters and show us some very exotic parts of the world filtered through Palin's very idiosyncratic vision. Audiences and readers can't get enough.

Sahara gives us the latest of his epic voyages, and this one possibly represents the most arduous challenge of his career: across the massive and unforgiving Sahara desert. In this beautifully produced volume (studded with some eye-catching colour photographs), we are taken on a unique journey, as Palin reveals the Sahara to us as something considerably more than endless sand dunes. Facet by facet, Michael Palin uncovers a colourful and eccentric panoply of cultures, with chequered histories that stretch back to the dawn of time. Beginning (and ending) in Gibraltar, we are taken from the fabled realms of the ancient Egyptians to the Islamic republics of the present day, as Palin conjures up a journey that alternates between gallows humour and often considerable discomfort. Most of us will never experience the teeming nightlife of Dakar or travel down the river Niger to the fabled city of Timbuktu. But Palin has done it for us, and this book (with or without the accompanying TV series) is a highly enjoyable way to relive that journey with him. --Barry Forshaw --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Picture from Palin's Travels

Journal Entry 2 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

14th November 2007:
I will make this an international bookring.
PM me to sign up
Last day to join Wednesday 21st November 2007
You must be willing to mail internationally to join (economy/surface mail more than fine!)
Make a JE when you receive the book
Read the book withing a month
PM the person next on the list for their address
Make a JE saying what you thought of the book
Send the book to the next participant

Questions? Please PM me!

Participants:
Max9, UK
Newk, Australia
Marja-Leena, Finland
Back to me, Sobergirl

Journal Entry 3 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, October 22, 2007

When I hear "Sahara" I mainly just think of a lot of sand, the odd camel and some nomads.
This book proved to me that it's soooooo much more! What an intriguing place! Not a place where I would go on holiday, but I've loved reading this book. Sometimes I felt like I could taste the sand in my mouth.
Michael Palin writes in a way that I like, short and consice sentences, focuses on impressions, sights and sounds. Not long harangs and details about history.

Journal Entry 4 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, November 19, 2007

May the intl bookring begin!
Travelling to max9 today!

Journal Entry 5 by MrsJennings from Barton Park, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, November 22, 2007

That was quick! Thanks, I received this in the post today and will be starting it soon...

Journal Entry 6 by MrsJennings from Barton Park, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, December 10, 2007

Have been enjoying visiting Mali, Niger, the Tenere desert, Algeria...at lunchtimes at work each day. Vivid descriptions of places and characters he meets, and doesn't spare the details of day to day travels, including traveller's tummy! I was interested in reading this as I'm thinking of going to Morrocco and a bit further south myself.

Will send this to Australia tomorrow, courtesy of Royal Mail

Journal Entry 7 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, January 04, 2008

I now have this book. Kind regards and thanks to you all in the very best bookcrossing spirit. Have been looking forward to reading this
Now I'll attempt to get thru it in a month.

Journal Entry 8 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, February 10, 2008

mmm...may I please have an extension? I have not one but two Palin books passing through and although the other one arrived after this one, it seems to have crawled to the top of the pile first.

I will get there by the end of month or pass on the regardless.

Journal Entry 9 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, February 28, 2008

I am going along slowly and have yet to hear back from Finland...that said I have been having terrible "luck" with PMs lately.
Will keep you informed.
Give me a bit longer pretty please.
Hugs and kisses

Journal Entry 10 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

nearly done. thanks for your patience. I have the next address and will make more notes when the book is on its way.

Journal Entry 11 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A wonderful book and I am very pleased to have participated in this ring. Many thanks. I don't think I had an appreciation of how vast the Sahara is and how many countries have some of it within their borders.
Like the other book that passed my way this one could have had better maps. Possibly the author got a bit too clever in parts with his references to his previous Life AS Brian.
Thanks again. It was posted today from Prospect PO at about 1330

Journal Entry 12 by marja-leena from Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The book has arrived back to Finland.Such a cool envelope.I will reuse it in bookcrossing sometime. Thank you, Newk, for sending the book.

Journal Entry 13 by marja-leena from Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I had the book really long time. Thank you Sobergirl for your patience and sharing this interesting book!

I loved the book as I have loved all Palin's travelogues. Funnily I never saw his TV programs.But I Llike his way of writing and that he is just himself, an elderly beer loving British man.

I learnt a lots about Sahara. It is still a part of world that people know little about. I realised that Palin's group couldn't visit many countries because of war or etc. Still they visited places that regular tourists do not dare to visit. I do not feel like repeating Palin's Saharan travels but I am really glad that people are able to read this story. Myself I was reading the book some 500 km North of Arctic Circle. That may have affected the pace of my reading. I had to take it slowly also in order to understand it better.

I will mail the book today for Sobergirl by the Finnish Mail (Suomen posti).

Journal Entry 14 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, August 01, 2008

Thank you everyone for participating in the bookring!
The book is now home again, awaiting new exciting adventures!

Journal Entry 15 by Sobergirl at -- Wild Released in Inverness in Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 14, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/2/2008 UTC) at -- Wild Released in Inverness in Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom

Somewhere in Scotland during my holiday 30th August-10th September 2008

Journal Entry 16 by candyrush from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Found the book at the official end of the 'Great Glen Way' walking route in Inverness, Scotland, September 2008 (am embarrassed to say have had it since then but just had so many other books to plough through before starting that one!).

Book is fabulous, I was amazed at how fascinating the Sahara is and also how many towns and communites thrive on it's outskirts. It is a witty and paced read and Palin's enthusiasm for the subject is infectious.

Have left this book at Monsal Head in Derbyshire....at the top of the viaduct. May it continue on it's journey...