corner corner When Bobby Kennedy Was a Moving Man

When Bobby Kennedy Was a Moving Man
by Robert Ellis Gordon | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by kafka of Phoenix, Arizona USA on 2/26/2003

status (set by kafka): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by kafka from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Wednesday, February 26, 2003

The gods, unable to think up an appropriate spot for eternity, have sent Bobby Kennedy back to earth, reincarnated as a furniture mover in Seattle. This book is wildly funny and disturbing at the same time.

Since this is one of those books that I'm keeping, I think I'll start a bookring to pass it around a bit.

Journal Entry 2 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Just received this book from kafka - first stop on the Bookring!
From a quick read of the covers and first few pages - looks like an intriguing, fairly quick read based on a pretty far-fetched premise!
Looking forward to giving it a try - then sending on.
Thanks so much, kafka!

Journal Entry 3 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Friday, March 14, 2003

Well, I have to admit, I liked the title, cover, and concept better than the book!
A creative, off-beat idea, readable, irreverent.
Thanks to kafka for introducing us to this unusual book/expanding our horizons, but in all honesty, it wasn't for me.
Sending off to natasha17 the beginning of the week.

Journal Entry 4 by natasha17 from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, March 23, 2003

I just got it yesterday. Thanks JDT & Kafka! I'll let you know my thoughts once I'm finished.

Journal Entry 5 by natasha17 from San Jose, California USA on Monday, April 07, 2003

I only got about 60 pages into this book before I was struck with a serious case of Reader's Block. The book never had a chance against such a formidable opponent as the Block. I don't want to hold up the book's journey any longer so I'm passing it on to tamarabk. I hope it didn't get my block vibes rubbed off onto it!

I'm sending it today.

Journal Entry 6 by tamarabk from Lynnwood, Washington USA on Friday, April 11, 2003

I just received this in the mail and I'm excited to read it this weekend!! I see my friend alsomama is up after me - such a small world when you are a bookcrosser...

Journal Entry 7 by tamarabk from Lynnwood, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 16, 2003

I really liked the concept of this book but I didn't particularly care for the book itself. The author's writing style did not particularly engage my interest and I had to keep forcing myself to plow on, particularly during the middle section when Bobby is in the midst of a weird stream of consiousness hallucination.
There was probably enough good material here to make for a fine short story, but for me, as a novel, it just didn't make the grade.
I do appreciate being included in this bookring though. This is a small press book that I never would have heard of or been exposed to if it hadn't been for kafka, and I am happy I was able to read something truly new. I will send this book now to alsomama in Seattle.

Journal Entry 8 by alsomama from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Who could resist this one? I just received it from tamarabk and promise to read it and sent it along to the next person ASAP. Thanks for including me in the bookring!

Journal Entry 9 by alsomama from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, May 04, 2003

While the premise of the book is quite clever, I, too, had a hard time getting through it. It is amusing to imagine Bobby Kennedy as a furniture mover in Seattle, but after a few pages the amusement wears off. This is definately an off-beat book, and it will be fun to read what the other bookring members have to say about it. I'll be sending this one to JennyO.

Journal Entry 10 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Saturday, May 10, 2003

Got this one in the mail today. Had totally forgotten I'd signed up to read it. I'll try to get it read in the next couple of days and get it off to solittletime as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 11 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Saturday, May 10, 2003

Unlike most of the others, I got a kick out of this little book. Part of it, I'm sure, was that it was a relief to be able to toss off a book in an hour or two. A couple of the ones I've read lately really slowed me down.

Anyway, the book seemed like a really nifty idea for a creative writing class that the author then turned into a novella. I probably would've given him a solid B+ on it. I wasn't at all surprised to read in the "about the author" section at the end that the author taught fiction writing in the Washington State prisons.

There were a couple of sections that really cracked me up. The first was when Bobby destroyed a Chippendale chair and then launched into a "dumb speech with unmistakable communist overtones!" I also laughed at his confrontation with J. Edgar Hoover. There were several pretty darn funny moments like those. But, I could've done without the whole body cavity search. Ugh.

I'm sending this one on to solittletime early next week. I'll look forward to reading the later journal entries on it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingsolittletimewing from Portland, Maine USA on Thursday, May 22, 2003

I received this book today and, despite the mixed reviews above, I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll post more when I have done so.

Journal Entry 13 by wingsolittletimewing from Portland, Maine USA on Thursday, June 12, 2003

I just realized that I neglected to make a journal entry when I mailed this to LeighBCD on June 5th.

I was not crazy about this book. The writing seemed choppy and I never did figure out what the plot was supposed to be. The title was quite intriguing, but the book itself didn't meet my expectations at all.

Journal Entry 14 by LeighBCD on Sunday, June 15, 2003

Thanks solittletime... I received this book a couple of days ago and will now read it asap. I love the title of this book - I am really looking forward to trying this and to see how I will like it.

Journal Entry 15 by LeighBCD on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

After a long hiatus, I have finally found the time to sit down with this wacky book. It is definitely an interesting idea! I do not know very much about Bobby Kennedy so some of the humour and topical references went over my head a little. Nevetheless the novel is definitely different - I am glad I gave it a try. Thanks so much kafka for starting this book on its journey!

Journal Entry 16 by LeighBCD at on Thursday, May 27, 2004

Released on Thursday, May 27, 2004 at Kafka in Phoenix, Arizona Controlled Releases.

After a long journey, and countless thousands of miles, it is time to send this book back home.

Journal Entry 17 by kafka from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2004

This has found it's way home to me. Thanks everyone for participating in this bookring!