corner corner Reading "Lolita" in Tehran: A Memoir in Books

Reading "Lolita" in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
by Azar Nafisi | Literature & Fiction
Registered by VeganMedusa of Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on 10/15/2007

status (set by nol111): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Monday, October 15, 2007

Amazon.com
An inspired blend of memoir and literary criticism, Reading Lolita in Tehran is a moving testament to the power of art and its ability to change and improve people's lives. In 1995, after resigning from her job as a professor at a university in Tehran due to repressive policies, Azar Nafisi invited seven of her best female students to attend a weekly study of great Western literature in her home. Since the books they read were officially banned by the government, the women were forced to meet in secret, often sharing photocopied pages of the illegal novels. For two years they met to talk, share, and "shed their mandatory veils and robes and burst into color." Though most of the women were shy and intimidated at first, they soon became emboldened by the forum and used the meetings as a springboard for debating the social, cultural, and political realities of living under strict Islamic rule. They discussed their harassment at the hands of "morality guards," the daily indignities of living under the Ayatollah Khomeini's regime, the effects of the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s, love, marriage, and life in general, giving readers a rare inside look at revolutionary Iran. The books were always the primary focus, however, and they became "essential to our lives: they were not a luxury but a necessity," she writes.

Threaded into the memoir are trenchant discussions of the work of Vladimir Nabokov, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jane Austen, and other authors who provided the women with examples of those who successfully asserted their autonomy despite great odds. The great works encouraged them to strike out against authoritarianism and repression in their own ways, both large and small: "There, in that living room, we rediscovered that we were also living, breathing human beings; and no matter how repressive the state became, no matter how intimidated and frightened we were, like Lolita we tried to escape and to create our own little pockets of freedom," she writes. In short, the art helped them to survive.

Reserved for the Passport to the World VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by VeganMedusa at DP:ONE CAFE-MAWHERA QUAY in Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Friday, April 11, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (4/11/2008 UTC) at DP:ONE CAFE-MAWHERA QUAY in Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand

To be taken to meet-up and then released somewhere in town.

Journal Entry 3 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, May 17, 2008

Well I wasn't planning to pick any books up to add to Volcano TBR at this meetup but I couldn't go past this one. Have heard a lot of BookCrossers talk about it so had to pick it up.

annenz has said she wants to read it after me so hope to get it read before the next meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, March 08, 2009

Picked this one off my shelf last week and it took me a while to get through. I found it an absorbing read but had to read it in chunks as I had to step back and think about some parts.

Would of liked more about the small book group as there wasn't as much about it as I was expecting. This book taught me some new things about Iran and stirred up a lot of emotions. A lot of food for thought.

I haven't read any of the books they discussed (have started reading Pride and Prejudice) so might of gotten more out of the book discussion parts had I read them.

Journal Entry 5 by Jafa at Sola Cafe in Pollen Street in Thames, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/15/2009 UTC) at Sola Cafe in Pollen Street in Thames, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand

I haven't read it but it looks good. I've recently just read A Thousand Splendid Suns so it's a bit soon for me to read about more dramas in the East.
Going to the markets on Saturday so hey!!! Why not...

Journal Entry 6 by nol111 from Thames, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Friday, May 15, 2009

i caught the book at our favorite cafe - sola in Thames and have already started to read it - seems a great book already