corner corner A Three Dog Life

A Three Dog Life
by Abigail Thomas | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by yourotherleft of Danville, Pennsylvania USA on 9/7/2007

status (set by T02S03B11D20): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 07, 2007

Thomas writes a touching memoir that uses her life experience after her husband is badly injured when hit by a car to provide valuable insight into life, getting older, and living with and loving dogs. Given the title, I expected it to be more about the dogs, but is instead more about life and learning to play the hand you're dealt. I felt I could relate to her in her relationship to her dogs as well as some of her feelings in general. One of my favorites was this:

Twenty years ago I asked a friend if he felt (as I did) a kind of chronic longing, a longing I wanted to identify. "Of course," he answered.... "What is it we are longing for?" He thought a minute and said, "There isn't any it. There is just the longing for it." This sounded exactly right. Years later and a little wiser, I know what the longing was for: here is where I belong.

And another...

I can't influence the future and I can't fix up the past.

What a relief.

I also particularly enjoyed the chapter where she talks about her husband "remembering" the things that are going on her life that he should know nothing about.

Sending this to lovemylife for the Chapter 12 exchange group. I was a little stumped about what to send you, but I hope this is something you can enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by lovemylife from Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Yes, YOL, I like this type of book. It's a good choice. Thank you.

Journal Entry 3 by lovemylife at Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, August 20, 2011

I liked this book very much. I'm now sending it to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 4 by wingT02S03B11D20wing at Springport, Michigan USA on Sunday, August 28, 2011

I've looked several times at this book in the store, thanks for including it in the book box. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingT02S03B11D20wing at Hobart and Brewer Roads in Marshall, Michigan USA on Monday, August 29, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/29/2011 UTC) at Hobart and Brewer Roads in Marshall, Michigan USA

Very quick and easy read.

Will leave on a bench at this intersection. It is part of a walk used alot by people walking their dogs. Hopefully the title will attract someones attention.