corner corner High Noon (Hardback)

High Noon (Hardback)
by Nora Roberts | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingsmhamnwing of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

status (set by chevylady1): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingsmhamnwing from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"Police Lieutenant Phoebe MacNamara found her calling at an early age when an unstable man broke into her family's home, trapping and terrorizing them for hours. Now she's Savannah's top hostage negotiator, defusing powderkeg situations with a talent for knowing when to give in-and when to jump in and take action. It's satisfying work-and sometimes those skills come in handy at home dealing with her agoraphobic mother, still traumatized by the break-in after all these years, and her precocious seven-year-old, Carly.

It's exactly that heady combination of steely courage and sensitivity that first attracts Duncan Swift to Phoebe. After observing her coax one of his employees down from a roof ledge, he is committed to keeping this intriguing, take-charge woman in his life. She's used to working solo, but Phoebe's discovering that no amount of negotiation can keep Duncan at arm's length.

And when she's grabbed by a man who throws a hood over her head and brutally assaults her-in her own precinct house-Phoebe can't help but be deeply shaken. Then threatening messages show up on her doorstep, and she's not just alarmed but frustrated. How do you go face-to-face with an opponent who refuses to look you in the eye?

Now, with Duncan backing her up every step of the way, she must establish contact with the faceless tormentor who is determined to make her a hostage to fear . . . before she becomes the final showdown."

My 1000th book registered!!! I plan on this book becoming a bookring!

Journal Entry 2 by wingsmhamnwing from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My 1000th book registered!! Pm if interested. USA only unless someone is willing to mail to Canada or Internationally. Please Pm or post your shipping preferences.
The Rules (borrowed from Valentina1209! Thanks!)

This is an open bookring for any active and reliable bookcrosser who wishes to join.

The rules are simple: Journal the book when it arrives and contact the next person on the list for their address. Read the book and pass it along as quickly as possible, within two to three weeks at most. Make either a journal entry or controlled release note when you’ve sent it off.

Please make a good-faith effort to keep the book in good condition and to make this bookring a success.

Thanks to all for participating.

Mailing Order and preference:
etmandm (USA)
jmsmom (USA)
awakeagain (USA)
valentina1209 (USA)(asked to be skipped and added on at the end)
macewoman (USA)
skizeye9 (USA)
candlelitenight (Skipped for now...no response to PM's)
valentina1209(USA)
Back to me

???Plum-crazy???

Journal Entry 3 by wingsmhamnwing from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, September 16, 2007

Wow!! Another great book from Nora Roberts! It reminded me of her J.D. Robb In Death series. It is well written, wonderful characters and a great storyline! Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 4 by wingsmhamnwing at Controlled Release in Cincinnati, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 17, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (9/17/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Cincinnati, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to the first bookring participant!!

Journal Entry 5 by etmandm from Canton, Georgia USA on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What a nice surprise I found in my mailbox today! Can't wait to read it. I have to finish up "The Fifth Vial" by Michael Palmer and this book is next on my TBR list. Should be able to mail it out early next week.

Sent it out this morning to jmsmom. Here is the DC# 0307 0020 0002 3330 3552.
Thanks for sharing it. It was very good!

Journal Entry 6 by jmsmom from Newalla, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

received in todays mail. Hope to start reading within a couple days and send on next week.

Journal Entry 7 by jmsmom at bookring in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, October 22, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (10/22/2007 UTC) at bookring in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Great book! Sent today to awakeagain. DC # 0307 0020 0003 1930 1076

Journal Entry 8 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Friday, October 26, 2007

Rec'd this bookring today. Should be ready to start later tonight or tomorrow. PMing next person on list.

Journal Entry 9 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lots of character borrowing from her Eve Dallas series. Duncan Swift could be a double for Roarke other than the fact that he's a bit more casual than Roarke. I think if one were to compare the books line for line, there would be a lot of the same dialogue attributed to Phoebe and Eve.

That being said, Nora Robers knows how to write an exciting story. I did like the fact that the reader learned who the bad guy was right along with the police. It wasn't one of those deals where the clues were all laid out for those who paid attention.

A definite winner.

Ready to mail as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 10 by macewoman from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts, so I'm looking forward to reading this book. From the JE's looks like a good one. Thanks for including me in this ring. I'll get it back on the road shortly.

Journal Entry 11 by macewoman from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Thursday, November 08, 2007

I think the similarity to the Eve Dallas series might be why I liked this book so much. I've enjoyed her other recent series' but the stand-alone books didn't really, well, stand out. My only complaint, and this goes for many of the romantic suspense books, is that I'm getting tired of the strong woman being stalked scenario. I understand it builds suspense, but please give it a rest. All of that being said, I really enjoyed this story.
Thanks smhamn for sharing your 1000th registered book.
I have skizeye9's address and this should be going out in the next couple of days.
11/15
Finally got to the post office and sent this off to skizeye9. DC# 420200369102805213907425640213

Journal Entry 12 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Yay! Excited to read! Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of one book now I've got to finish, then have another bookring book I have to read, but this is up third and I'll try to make it quick!

Journal Entry 13 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Alright I'm getting closer--I finished the book I was in when this arrived--and I'm starting the bookring book in line before this one today--so it shouldn't be too long before I start this one and have it on it's way!

Journal Entry 14 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'll probably finish the bookring book I received before this one tonight--so I'll finally be able to start High Noon--YAY!

Didn't want you guys to think it was going stale on my shelf--it's still front of mind!

And I've got a long commute down I-95 Friday and Saturday--so hopefully I'll get through a good bit pretty fast! ;o}

Journal Entry 15 by skizeye9 from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Monday, January 14, 2008

Having some troubles...

I've PM'd candlelitenight for the address but haven't heard back.

Then smhamn reached out to me about what was going on...and I PM'd her to PM candlelitenight to see if she could get the address.

However--I don't think smhamn got my PM b/c then she followed up with me again.

So I'm posting this journal entry b/c it seems like others aren't getting my PMs though I am getting theirs.

If candlelitenight can send me her address I can send this on...it's been sitting on my desk in an envelope since I've returned from the holidays ready to go!

Journal Entry 16 by wingsmhamnwing from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, January 14, 2008

Thanks for the journal entry skizeye9! PM's can be unreliable at times. Move on to the next participant, Valentina1209...in the mean time, I will try to contact candlelitenight. Thank you and I hope you enjoyed the book!!!

Journal Entry 17 by skizeye9 at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (1/15/2008 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Alrighty, sending on to valentina1209! In the mail now!

I really enjoyed this book! It seemed to end a bit abruptly and I wanted more resolution, but that might have been b/c I had to pause for like a week in the middle of the climax...which could have caused it to feel that way. Either way, it's irrelevent b/c the rest of it was so good! Loved all the characters, loved trying to figure out the mystery!

Journal Entry 18 by valentina1209 from Bethpage, New York USA on Thursday, January 17, 2008

The book arrived safely in New York today! Thanks.

2/6/08
WOW - anyone who associates Nora Roberts with simplistic Harlequin-style romances needs to read this book, which really showcases her true talent! I loved the complex character development, the twist and turns of the plot, the detective work, etc. Despite all the violence, which turned me off a bit, this was an enthralling story!

smhamn asked me to pass the book along rather than return it to her, so I am actively seeking new participants for the second phases of this bookray. In addition to recruiting on the forum, I am sending PMs to everyone in USA who has this book on Cliff wish list. candlelitenight has not answered PM's. I posted an ISO on the forum, and if she doesn't reply, she will not be added to the second phase. It would cost $13.60 to send this book to plum-crazy in England, so unless someone is willing to post it to her, she will not be added to the second phase either.

second phase bookray list:

angela861 in Illinois
ChiBoiler in Illinois
Donduckandy in Pennsylvania
bookaholic2 in New Jersey
cyber-librarian in Illinois

Journal Entry 19 by valentina1209 at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 07, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (2/7/2008 UTC) at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Keep Them Moving Challenge #6

sending to angela861.

Journal Entry 20 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, March 09, 2008

TBR - I have a few ahead of this one but I'm a quick reader.

Journal Entry 21 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, March 20, 2008

I loved this book! I'm also in love w/ Duncan. :-) I did feel like the story ended before I got some answers about Phoebe's family. I guess that gives Nora the opportunity to write additional books about this family... I hope!

I will give this book to ChiBoiler this weekend (3/22) when she comes to help me paint my new place!

Journal Entry 22 by angela861 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, March 22, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (3/22/2008 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

I passed the book on to ChiBoiler today.

Journal Entry 23 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, March 22, 2008

Received this book today...it is third in line after two other rings/rays that I currently have.

Journal Entry 24 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, April 03, 2008

I liked the book, but didn't love it like I normally love Nora Roberts. I got tired of Phoebe constantly being abused and thought that there was alot of unnecessary things going on when I would have rather learned more about the other characters...also there were defintely some unresolved issues...is Nora's next book going to focus on Ava and Dave? Or do we need to imagine how that story ends?

Thanks for starting this ring valentina1209. I will mail this book out today to the next reader!

Journal Entry 25 by Donduckandy from Hazleton, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Book has arrived in Hazleton, Pa. 4/8/08 from
Chicago, Il. This will be the second book on my TBR pile. Will keep it moving then, Thanks for sending this book on its journey.

Journal Entry 26 by Donduckandy from Hazleton, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 12, 2008

This is a second time I've tried to read Nora Roberts and her writing style seems to get me disinterested. So I will let the next person on the list have this book now.

Journal Entry 27 by bookaholic2 from Wildwood, New Jersey USA on Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thanks for adding me to this ring valentina1209.

Journal Entry 28 by bookaholic2 from Wildwood, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Another good read!

Journal Entry 29 by bookaholic2 at U.S. Post Office Atlantic+ Oak Ave in Wildwood, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (5/20/2008 UTC) at U.S. Post Office Atlantic+ Oak Ave in Wildwood, New Jersey USA

On my way to next on ring list:cyber-librarian

Journal Entry 30 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I received this book in the mail on 5/29 from bookaholic2 in NJ ... as part of this bookray. It was perfect timing ... the day of our closing on our new house ... so DH picked it up at the apt. office and brought it to our new house. I'll do my best to read it in a timely manner while unpacking boxes.

c. 2007 -- 423 pages -- Hardcover -- 5 weeks on the USA Today top-10 Bestseller list:
#2 on 7/15/07
#5 on 6/1/08
#6 on 6/8/08
#10 on 7/22/07 and 6/15/08

Journal Entry 31 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Saturday, June 21, 2008

I finished reading this before falling asleep last night. I had trouble putting it down once I got into it. valentina1209 is so right about this not being from Robert's romance genre. It runs pretty close to Patterson's thriller genre or Robert's mystery genre written as J. D. Robb. It had me riding on suspense wondering what was going to happen next ... and holding my breath that it wouldn't end on a really bad note. I believe this is the first book that I've rated with a 10 so far this year.

Journal Entry 32 by cyber-librarian at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/25/2008 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

I'm mailing this book today to chevylady1 in NC ... as a surprise RABCK off her wishlist with some help from www.rabck.com. I checked with valentina1209 about releasing this, since I'm the end of this bookray ... and she thought it was a great idea.

Journal Entry 33 by chevylady1 from Sanford, North Carolina USA on Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wow a great RABCK! Thank you 2 very much for the RABCK! I will read and release this book very soon. I believe I will release this one in Pinehurst at the hospital in the Cancer center.

Journal Entry 34 by chevylady1 from Sanford, North Carolina USA on Sunday, August 31, 2008

Reserving this book to release at the Cancer Center in Pinehust, NC within the month of Sept.
Thank you all for sharing with me.