corner corner Wink of the Mona Lisa and Other Stories from the Gulf (Memoirs of Arabia)

Wink of the Mona Lisa and Other Stories from the Gulf (Memoirs of Arabia)
by Mohammad al Murr | Literature & Fiction
Registered by hendertuckian of Henderson, Nevada USA on 9/3/2007

status (set by okyrhoe): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by hendertuckian from Henderson, Nevada USA on Monday, September 03, 2007

Selected for Olympic Challenge - United Arab Emirates
These stories wre fine but I've discovered in this challenge that I'm not really a short story reader so I hope the next person will enjoy them more. On its way to blackwidow1971

Journal Entry 2 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 23, 2008

Safely received from Hendertuckian for the Olympic Challenge!

Journal Entry 3 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 08, 2008

I enjoyed these stories. They were very short (so perfect for reading on the train) and did show there's more to the UAE than veiled ladies, large shopping malls and luxury hotels.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, July 19, 2008

Another book from Blackwidow1971 for the geographical challenge. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 27, 2012

Finally got around to reading this book - sorry for taking so long!

It was definitely an interesting experience. Rather than great literature, most of the stories felt more like folktales or something that people would tell each other at night back when there was no television (although these were obviously modern stories). I'm not sure whether that's due to the original texts or the translations? Some of the stories were, of course, more enjoyable than others, as is always the case with short story collections.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I read the book and would recommend it to others as well.

***

Reserved for DubaiReader's Global Fiction VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, October 22, 2012

Thanks so much Annimanni!

(selected from DubaiReader's Global Fiction VBB