corner corner Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
by C.S. Lewis | Literature & Fiction
Registered by grubsneerg of Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on 9/1/2007

status (set by grubsneerg): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"Till We Have Faces" is a reworking of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. I read this when I was a teen-ager, but need to reread it as an adult.

Journal Entry 2 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 02, 2007

Lending to indygo88 to read for her book club.

Journal Entry 3 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Sent today via Media Mail, delivery confirmation 03071790000049906694.

Journal Entry 4 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, September 10, 2007

That was fast! Thanks, grubs! I'll get it read & back to you as soon as I can (within a month, I expect). I like your labels, BTW. :')

Journal Entry 5 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, September 29, 2007

I spent most of yesterday racing through the remainder of this book in order to finish it up for book club last night. Made it! (barely!) One of my fellow bookclubbers recommended it, remembering that it was one of her favorites that she'd read during college. I had mixed feelings about it. I wasn't particularly familiar with the story of Cupid & Psyche, so the whole reworking of the myth fell short on me. And I still feel, after finishing it, that I should've gotten some deeper meaning out of the whole story than what I did. It did spark a fairly good book club conversation, so that's good. All in all, I wasn't blown away, but it was a refreshing change from what I've recently been reading.

Thank you very much, grubsneerq, for loaning this to me! (Thanks also for the postcard!!!) I plan on getting it back out to you after the weekend! :')

Journal Entry 6 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 06, 2007

The book arrived back home safely today with a lovely new bookstring inside. Thank you!

Would this qualify as my first successful bookring? ;)

Journal Entry 7 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, September 05, 2015

If memory serves me correctly, I bought this at a bookstore in New York City in the late 1980s. I was very excited to discover that C.S. Lewis had written other books besides the Chronicles of Narnia, which were my favorite books ever. (It was before Google and Amazon and even the Internet, itself, so my lack of knowledge is somewhat forgivable.)

I was hoping for a fairy tale along the lines of Narnia, but I got a myth—not even the original myth, but a "retelling" of a myth. At that point in my life, I knew nothing about Cupid and Psyche (if only Al Gore had invented the Internet a few years earlier) and I had never read a "retold" story (if only Gregory Maguire had written "Wicked" a few years earlier), so a lot of it went way over my young little head.

Fast-forward twenty-some years and not only can I look up Cupid and Psyche's origin story in a matter of seconds, I have also read and enjoyed multitudes of reworked and retold stories. Add that to all the life experience acquired and it results in me really appreciating this book and the mind of C.S. Lewis in a whole new way. I wonder if he's written anything else? ;)

This book lets me mark the top left square on my 2015 Reading BINGO card: "A Book You Read as a Teenager." Only one spot left!

Journal Entry 8 by grubsneerg at Westmoreland Museum of American Art in Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (6/16/2018 UTC) at Westmoreland Museum of American Art in Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Left in the Little Free Library around 4:30 p.m.

Congratulations--you caught a book!

Take your time reading the book, and after you finish, please make a journal entry to record your thoughts about it. This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, though we would love for you to share it. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.