corner corner A Baby in a Backpack to Bhutan

A Baby in a Backpack to Bhutan
by Bunty Avieson | Travel
Registered by kirst040 of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 24, 2007

status (set by kirst040): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 24, 2007

"When Bunty Avieson quit her glamorous career as a magazine editor to write novels and live in India with her partner, her friends were shocked. When she took off to the secret kingdom of Bhutan with her new baby, they decided she'd gone mad. In her wilder moments, she thought so too!

After Bunty's film producer partner disappeared up a yak trail to shoot Travellers & Magicians with the renowned film-making lama Khytentse Norbu, she and her baby daughter moved in with a Bhutanee family of 6 sisters, 2 husbands and their children on the ouskirts of Thimphu, the capital.

In this crowded house, Bunty learned about life in contemporary Bhutan - the tiny nation nestled in the Himalayas that is ruled by a King who has decreed that Gross National Happiness is more important than Gross National Product. Bunty went to the movies with the King's 4 wives; took tea with the mysterious Oracle; and dined on leather stew and fish-eye soup. She also learned something about the Bhutanese way of raising children - when her baby wouln't sleep, she tried the Bhutanese solution, making offerings to the local god.

A Baby in a Backpack to Bhutan tells of an Australian family's extraordinary adventure in a beautiful, mystical Shangri-la. Heartfelt and often hilarious, it is a fascinating account of life in one of the world's most intriguing and unknown places"

Journal Entry 2 by kirst040 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, September 09, 2007

I really enjoyed this. I didn't know a lot about Bhutan before I read it so it was interesting to learn about their culture and as a new mother myself I liked reading about how another new mother handled it all in a totally foreign environment. I haven't seen Travellers & Magicians, it has been recommended to me a couple of time but I will be certainly keeping an eye out for it now.