corner corner Roasting in Hell's Kitchen: Temper Tantrums, F Words, and the Pursuit of Perfect

by Gordon Ramsay | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Sobergirl of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, August 23, 2007

status (set by jellyfish67): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, August 23, 2007

Paperback edition!

US edition. I believe this book is called "Humble Pie" in Europe.

amazon.com:
Book Description

Everyone thinks they know the real Gordon Ramsay: rude, loud, pathologically driven, stubborn as hell.

Now, for the first time, the world's most famous—and infamous—chef tells the inside story of his life: his difficult childhood, his father's alcoholism and violence, his brother's heroin addiction, his short-circuited soccer career, and his fanatical pursuit of gastronomic perfection—everything that helped mold him into the culinary talent and media powerhouse that he is today. He also dishes the dirt on the rich and famous, and takes you behind the scenes of some of the great restaurants.

Honest, outrageous, and intensely personal, Roasting in Hell's Kitchen will not only change your perception of Gordon Ramsay but that of the cutthroat world of haute cuisine as well.

Picture from Channel4.com
Gordon Ramsay

Journal Entry 2 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, August 23, 2007

Intl bookray!

Guidelines:
Do not sign up for this bookray if you're offended by the F Word
PM me to sign up
You must be willing to mail internationally (surface/economy mail more than ok!)
Make a JE when you receive the book
Read the book within a month
PM the next person on the list for their address
Make a JE telling us what you thought of bthe book
Send the book along to the next person

Questions? Please PM me!

Jellyfish67, UK
Rarsberry, New Zealand
Synical, Malaysia
DragonGoddess, USA

Dec 2008: Scruffukaz had a bookring for this book going but it stalled and I agreed to add the rest of her participants to my list!
So WELCOME TO MY BOOKRAY TO EVERYONE ROM SCRUFFYKAZ'S LIST!

Journal Entry 3 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, August 24, 2007

I will send it to em64 today
The bookray is still open for new participants!
Just PM me to sign up!

Here you can read what I thought of this book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, August 30, 2007

The book was waiting for me yesterday when I got back from a business trip. I started to read it straight away and so far it has been an interesting read. Thank you so much for the lovely surprise that was with the book, sobergirl!

Journal Entry 5 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, September 01, 2007

An enjoyable read, it was interesting see what has it taken for Ramsay to get where he is today. Next time I'll watch one of his tv programmes I'll watch it with different eyes. One thing is sure, he absolutely loves to cook. One day I would like to dine in one of his restaurants...

I have pm'ed JennyC1230 for her address so that I can pass the book on.

Journal Entry 6 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thanks em64, I received the book today! Yeah! I was hoping that this one would come soon. I will journal again after I read it. Thanks for sharing your book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wow, this book was really great! I am a big fan of Gordon Ramsey's shows: Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares. He is brutally honest, which in this day and age is very refreshing! I would much prefer a boss who tells it like it is, rather than talks about you behind your back and then fires you. He's had a rough life, his childhood was bad. Most people that had a start like him would have been dead early or in jail. It says a lot about him that he rose above it and made a life for himself. This was a really good book, very interesting, but also enlightening to the man that Gordon Ramsey is now.

Thanks for sharing Sobergirl!

P.S. I got the address and will be sending the book to terra57 soon.

Journal Entry 8 by Lumbermoose from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, September 24, 2007

I borrowed this book from my wife, JennyC1230, before she sent it on it's way. I didn't want to hold her up, so I finished it in a day. I definitely have a new found respect for Gordon Ramsay and what it took him to make it to the top.

Thanks for sharing, Sobergirl!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, September 24, 2007

Sending this on to terra57 on Sept. 26th!

USPS.com: Delivery confirmation #03061070000097973390
*Delivered to Hopedale, Mass. on Oct. 2nd.*

Happy Travels Little Book!

Journal Entry 10 by terra57 from Hopedale, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Thought I had journeled this. Sorry! My dad has been in intensive care since Sept 24 so my mind is gone.
Anywho, I have been taking this to the hospital every day with me to read and it was great. I can now understand why Gordon is the way he is. I love his shows and to know some history behind the man makes watching them even more interesting. He is amazing!
Will contact the next in line tonight and try to have the book out by the weekend. Thanks for letting me join.

Journal Entry 11 by terra57 at -- By post or by hand -- in Hopedale, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, November 01, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (11/1/2007 UTC) at -- By post or by hand -- in Hopedale, Massachusetts USA

off to next in line.

Journal Entry 12 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Friday, November 09, 2007

arrived safely today, just in time for a long holday weekend. Thanks or allowing me to participate sobergirl and thanks for the lovely postcard terra57.

Journal Entry 13 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, November 12, 2007

First, thanks to Sobergirl for sharing. I have never ever watched any of Gordon Ramsay's shows, and was more interested in reading this from a restauranteur's point of view. Having read many books written by chefs I have to say this wasn't my favorite in the genre but it was enjoyed and now I want to watch the shows. Have pm'd Boomda181 and will forward as soon as I have an addy.

Journal Entry 14 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Friday, November 16, 2007

on its way to boomda181 :)

Journal Entry 15 by boomda181 on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The book arrived in the mail today! I can't wait to read it. I have a few rings ahead of it, but with the holidays coming up, I will get to it really soon.

Journal Entry 16 by boomda181 on Friday, January 04, 2008

I loved this book! I am a big Gordon Ramsay fan and was quite thrilled with reading about his life. I liked that he made no excuses or apologies for who he is, honest. Since reading this I have seen a couple of Ramsay's shows on TV (reruns) and have a new found respect for him. Thanks sobergirl. The book is on its way to South Africa!

Journal Entry 17 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Thursday, March 13, 2008

Yay, this book arrived today after being on the road for just over two months. I look forward to reading this! Thanks for sharing, Sobergirl, and for sending on, boomda181.

Journal Entry 18 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I picked this up yesterday evening. Only meant to have a quick look, but I ended up reading the whole book in one sitting!
Ramsay is not going to win any prizes for the quality of his prose, but his life story is fascinating, and I find it brave that he could be so honest about his life and about the people around him.
Also, it was nice to read about the restaurant scene in England. I'd recently read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, which looks at the restaurant business in New York. So finding out what that industry is like elsewhere, was interesting.
Will be posted to the next reader later today.

Journal Entry 19 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Now on the way to 061019alexandra via airmail.

My book #12 for guinaveve's Keep Them Moving challenge.

Journal Entry 20 by 061019alexandra from Schoonhoven, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 29, 2008

recieved!

Journal Entry 21 by 061019alexandra from Schoonhoven, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, June 09, 2008

Very nice book, good too read when you'r english is not so good.
I didn't know that gorden was a footbalplayer by the rangers and also like too read about his personel life (wife/kids)

Great book

Journal Entry 22 by 061019alexandra at TNT in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 09, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/10/2008 UTC) at TNT in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

up to italia

Journal Entry 23 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Arrived this am.
Thankyou sobergirl for letting me join another of your rays and 061019alexandra for mailing this from the Netherlands to Italy.
Looking forward to reading about the man behind the television personality.

Journal Entry 24 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 21, 2008

Having read Hell’s Kitchen I now feel that I understand Gordon Ramsay’s personality a little better. His fanatical pursuit of perfection seems to be as a result of his difficult childhood. However I wonder if his constant use of the f word is entirely necessary as all it really shows is lack of vocabulary. This makes me feel that maybe nowadays he continues to use it for effect in print and on the small screen.
He is obviously very passionate about his restaurants and the meals they produce. He admits that the UK is still a long way behind the rest of Europe in terms of decent places to eat outside the big cities, a depressing but true fact. He hopes that things will improve slowly and that he has a part to play in improving the future eating habits of the British.
An enlightening read if you are interested in learning about how Gordon Ramsey came to be the man he is today, a successful chef and businessman.

Update 22.06.08
Panzeranzi has asked to be skipped so now waiting to hear from Lottuli.

Journal Entry 25 by LindyLouMac at by mail in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (6/25/2008 UTC) at by mail in to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

En route to Finland

Journal Entry 26 by lottuli from Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo Finland on Friday, June 27, 2008

The book has now arrived back to Finland to be sent back to traveling the world soon!

I have three ring books now in my shelf so needs to read a bit now to not to break time lines here.

Journal Entry 27 by lottuli from Pieksämäki, Etelä-Savo Finland on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Just finished reading this great book 10 minutes ago, a lovely read.

I like Gordon Ramsay just because he can cook so well, no matter the bad childhood and weirdo image in the media.

I try to reach Elina soon, I just leaving to Holidays and I wish to ray this forward before Friday.

Journal Entry 28 by Elina from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, July 14, 2008

Chef Ramsay is now here. Thank you very much lottuli for such a quick delivery and Sobergirl for letting me to participate in the ray.

Journal Entry 29 by Elina from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

This was an entertaining read and an interesting insight to the life of Gordon Ramsay. You can really feel his passion for food, cooking and his restaurants in his text.

The book is now on its way to DoveiLibri.

Journal Entry 30 by Dove-i-libri from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, July 28, 2008

This book arrived safe and sound today! I gave it over to Dad i Libri as soon as i saw what it was, and he already started peeking at the photos! What fun to see Angry, Grumpy Chef Ramsey as a blonde little school boy! LOL! Thank you so much for forwarding this to us, and he will be as prompt as possible in reading it and sending it on to Tabby-Cat-Owner.

8/18/08: *ALL* of the DoveiLibri family enjoyed this book! Sending for Tabby-Cat-Owner's address now and will mail the book soon!

Journal Entry 31 by Dove-i-libri at Post Office (Mailed to fellow BXer) in North Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (8/20/2008 UTC) at Post Office (Mailed to fellow BXer) in North Fort Myers, Florida USA

Mailed to Tabby-Cat-Owner in Arizona via media mail.
Delivery Confirmation # 0308 0730 0001 6164 7123

Journal Entry 32 by tabby-cat-owner from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Wednesday, September 03, 2008

received in the mail from DoveiLibri of Fort Myers, Florida. Will read this asap and get it on its way.

Thank you, Sobergirl, for organizing this bookray.

Journal Entry 33 by tabby-cat-owner from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Thursday, September 11, 2008

This book was easy to read and I liked the way he wrote about his life according to topics. I was only slightly familiar with Gordon Ramsay before reading this book. Oddly enough, I was more familiar with his English TV show, Kitchen Nightmares then his American TV show. I came to admire and respect Gordon Ramsay by watching Kitchen Nightmares on TV. This book helped me to learn more about Gordon Ramsay and it has inspired me to raise the standards in my own little kitchen which I have been completely neglecting.

Journal Entry 34 by tabby-cat-owner at Bookray, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 02, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (10/2/2008 UTC) at Bookray, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

mailed to Erishkigal of Salt Lake City, Utah. (It would have been mailed earlier but she was traveling.)

I hope you enjoy this book, Erishkigal.

Journal Entry 35 by wingErishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, October 09, 2008

Yay! It has arrived safely in Salt Lake~~ I love Kitchen Nighttmares, so am expecting this to be a fun read. thanks for sharing, Sobergirl and for sending it up Tabby-Cat-Owner.

re:
US edition. I believe this book is called "Humble Pie" in Europe.

this made me lol~~the idea of Ramsey and humble in conjuction~~~

Journal Entry 36 by wingErishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 15, 2008

this was a fast easy read~~even managed it during tech week (otherwise known as hell week--so appropriate) I thoroughly enjoyed it, liked learning abit about what makes this amazing man tick. thanks for sharing, sobergirl! i'll send it on just as soon as I have Darkpunkangel's addy.

Journal Entry 37 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 23, 2008

Arrived safely on Friday, thanks for sending this Erishkigal and thanks for the postcard too :D! I think I should be able to start this today.

Journal Entry 38 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 27, 2008

Wow, what a quick and interesting read!

I already PMed the next in line and will mail it off as soon as I get it.

Journal Entry 39 by darkpunkangel at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/10/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent today to the next participant, hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 40 by Frenchnicola from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, December 19, 2008

Arrived safely thank you, and I'm looking forward to plenty of time to read it over Christmas...

Journal Entry 41 by Frenchnicola from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, December 25, 2008

Interesting read, although it did feel a bit like an extended magazine article than a book...still it was intriguing to learn more about the man behind the image.

will PM molekilby for address now.

Journal Entry 42 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 02, 2009

Received today, thanks to Sobergirl for sharing and Frenchnicola for sending on. This will be my next read (starting sometime next week).

I've recently watched re-runs of Kitchen Nightmares (not watched first time around) and find them quite funny and cringeworthy TV. Looking forward to reading the book.

Journal Entry 43 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, January 08, 2009

A book that's fact filled with not much depth, but very entertaining. I like Ramsay and it does sound as if he's down to earth and hasn't been affected by stardom.

The one thing that does stand out is his passion for food and wanting to encourage everyone in the kitchen. having wayched Kitchen Nightmares I've always noticed this. He obviously isn't as interested in perceived talent as opposed to those who want to learn and continue in the trade. I'm sure he's an inspiration to some.

Will send to the next person once I have an address. Thanks for sharing Sobergirl.

Journal Entry 44 by molekilby at n/a, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 31, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/31/2009 UTC) at n/a, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay.

Enjoy.

Journal Entry 45 by jaffacake from Oakham, Rutland United Kingdom on Monday, March 02, 2009

Really interesting... but he doesn't quite come across in the book as the fiery strong-willed character we see on the TV.

About to PM Jellyfish67 :-)

Journal Entry 46 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, March 13, 2009

Arrived safely yesterday.