corner corner The Daughter of Time

by Josephine Tey | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by MmePotage on 2/22/2003

status (set by alysen): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by MmePotage on Saturday, February 22, 2003

I have ticked history for the category of this book, but many historians have put forth different ideas about Richard III. I personally find this convincing .. blurb quoth : "The Daughter of Time is a masterpiece which enjoys a unique place in detective fiction by making a serious - and thoroughly entertaining - contribution to history" I will vouch for the thoroughly entertaining.

Journal Entry 2 by MmePotage on Saturday, January 31, 2004

I really enjoyed this book with a plausible argument that counteracts the Shakespeare version of events for Richard III. The edition I first read it in had a genealogy of the participants in it which I found invaluable but is unfortunately not in this edition - however there are genealogies on the net ... still well worth a read and our bookgroup enjoyed it very much because of the detective element, even those who don't particularly like historical fiction.

Posted to LeighBCD January 31 2004 to be forwarded to Alysen afterwards (thanks :-).

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD on Friday, February 06, 2004

Hi there - I received this in the mail last night. I was reading Bodily Harm by Margaret Atwood and could not get into it at all. This looked so much more fun so I have dropped Madge and am now deep into the mystery of Richard III. I am enjoying the book a lot so far, I am sure I will finish it soon and will send it on its way fairly shortly thereafter. Thanks MrsPotage!!

Journal Entry 4 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

I really liked this - which is very unusual as I find it hard to enjoy detective novels which have not been written in the last ten years or so. I think it is the historical detecting that I enjoyed - the conclusion seems very obvious once you have read the book. I agree with MrsPotage that a genealogy would have made life a lot easier, though.

Thanks so much for sending me the book - it is now on its way to the next bookcrosser. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by LeighBCD at on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Released on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at to alysen in Cambridge, England Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 6 by alysen from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2004

Received this from MrsPotage via LeighBCD - many thanks! I'm really enjoying so far, will have to think of a particlarly good place to release it so that somebody who will really enjoy it will find it :)

Journal Entry 7 by alysen at on Thursday, February 19, 2004

Released on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at The Mitre, Bridge Street in Cambridge, England United Kingdom.

On a table somewhere, sometime after 8.30pm

Journal Entry 8 by alysen from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 19, 2004

This was an excellent book: very interesting, very readable, very rewarding. I thought it was a bit silly at first, but as it progressed the whole premise seemed to work very well.

If you don't know much about the Wars of the Roses or Richard III then this is as good an introduction as you will find (although I would also recommend Sharon Penman's "The Sunne In Splendour" if you like your historical figures to be more like characters). I already had an interest in the period, but this book told me quite a few things I hadn't come across before. The author really did her research, and provides a convincing case in favour of Richard III.

In short, read, enjoy, pass it on!