corner corner No Country for Old Men

No Country for Old Men
by Cormac McCarthy | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by stillbeing of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 8/17/2007

status (set by Supertalya): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by stillbeing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, August 17, 2007

Picked up from a clearance store today, will try to find a new home for it soon.

Journal Entry 2 by stillbeing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, August 30, 2007

This one's off interstate as a secret RABCK - shhhh!

Journal Entry 3 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 03, 2007

Oh my goodness! Where did this come from and who is this wonderous bookcrosser who sent it?

Thank you very much Stillbeing. Your timing is perfect!
I only recently finished reading 'The road' by this author, and was absolutely amazed by it. My husband and I have only just 'discovered' this writer.

And you're probably stratching your head, and asking 'But, was he missing?', but apparently he is a rather reclusive character, and a funny little film maker made a short film titled: 'Looking for Cormac' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg5iRMaqOBM). Most amusing.

Thank you very much Stillbeing. Much appreciated, and I will see to it that this book keeps moving.

Journal Entry 4 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Now, I am greatly ashamed of myself.
I've been sitting on this book for far too long.

I saw the film before reading the book, and was greatly surprised by how spare the text and dialog was.
An amazing book!

I really didn't expect this book to be so violent. I'd only read 'The road' by this author, but I've come to understand that most of his stories are quite black and bleak.

Bell character was captured beautifully by Tommy Lee Jones on the big screen, and I found that I kept seeing and hearing his voice while reading this.

The sparseness of the text and characters did not detract from the story or emotion though. In fact, it probably added to it. The reader fills in the blanks.

Now, I had read this book, and had planned to post it to Freelunch as part of the 'Southern Cross Exchange' this month, but my husband spied the book before I could make it to the postbox, and demanded to read it first.
So, poor Freelunch has had to wait for Owl007 to finish reading this (forget his journalling it) - but finally he has.

Sorry it has has taken so long Freelunch.

Journal Entry 5 by jubby at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/27/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Freelunch as part of the 'Southern Cross Exchange' on www.bookobsessed.com.

Journal Entry 6 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, June 02, 2008

received today, thanks very much jubby :o)

I haven't read any Cormac McCarthy yet, but I'm keen to after reading about him after seeing the recent film adaptation of this book.

Journal Entry 7 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

loved it. even after several viewings of the film adaptation I enjoyed Cormac McCarthy's unique prose, several unfilmed story elements and greater insight into the mind of Sheriff Bell.

Journal Entry 8 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, April 06, 2009

This book is now accompanying The Women (a Bookring PLUS!)

If you would like to keep this book, please replace it with a book you personally rate at 7/10 or higher when you send The Women to the next reader.

please include these instructions in a journal entry for each accompanying book. thanks.

Journal Entry 9 by jennymidget from Bellbowrie, Queensland Australia on Monday, April 13, 2009

Taking this one out of the BookRing Plus bag - it's been on my "To Get" list for a while now!

Journal Entry 10 by jennymidget from Bellbowrie, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oh dear - I feel like some sort of barbarian now, because I didn't like this one AT ALL!!

Bleak, nasty, badly written to the point of being painful - the action is flat, the narrative (and particularly the dialogue sections) suffers badly from the writing style, and the story thread didn't follow for me at all. I found it almost impossible to read, and to be blunt, completely uninteresting.

I haven't seen the film - and while I appreciate a good Cohen Brothers as much as the next film buff, this doesn't inspire me to go rent it.

Picked off BookObsessed by SuperTalya, so off overseas...

Journal Entry 11 by Supertalya on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thanks so much for this.