corner corner Small Island

Small Island
by Andrea Levy | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winggingergeoffwing of Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 23, 2007

status (set by Safrolistics): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winggingergeoffwing from Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 23, 2007

It is 1948, and England is recovering from a war. But at 21 Nevern Street, London, the conflict has only just begun.

Queenie Bligh's neighbours do not approve when she agrees to take in Jamaican lodgers, but Queenie doesn't know when, or if, her husband, Bernard, posted to India during the war, will return. What else can she do?

Gilbert Joseph was one of the severa thousand Jamaican men who joined the RAF to fight against Hitler. Returning to England as a civilian he finds himself treated very differently. Gilbert's wife Hortense, too, had longed to find a better life in England. But when she joins him she is shocked that London is far from the golden man she thought he was.

Through the stories of these people, Small Island explores a point in England's past when the country began to change.

Journal Entry 2 by winggingergeoffwing at Victoria Arms, Old Marston in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 23, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (11/24/2007 UTC) at Victoria Arms, Old Marston in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

To be released at the meet on Saturday.

Journal Entry 3 by Molyneux at Convention - London 2008 in London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, February 24, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (2/24/2008 UTC) at Convention - London 2008 in London, Greater London United Kingdom

Reserved for the Convention.
Why not join the party at the BookCrossing Convention in London April 2008

Journal Entry 4 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 24, 2008

Picked up at the Oxford meet to release at the Convention in London in April since the book is set in London!

Journal Entry 5 by London2008Con from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 03, 2008

Donated for the Convention - thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by suedo from Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

this was in my goody bag, thanks

Journal Entry 7 by suedo at Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, June 05, 2010

This just wasn't engaging me enough and I am being tough with TBR until I can get it down to a much more managable size.

Journal Entry 8 by suedo at Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010

am going to send this out as my Uk exchange book for July, Hope this is a good choice, I'm lost without wishlists

Journal Entry 9 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 26, 2010

Received as part of the BCUK Extra Birthday Exchange - thank you.

Journal Entry 10 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 21, 2010

An enjoyable book, especially the parts set in Jamaica. The story gets grimmer when the action moves to England. I hadn't realised just how bad the prejudice was against West Indians in the late forties.
Thank you for sending me this, suedo.

Journal Entry 11 by wingrahar109wing at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 11, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/11/2011 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Tanamo as part of the BCUK Extra Birthday exchange.
Happy birthday and enjoy.

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Safely arrived. Thanks a lot. Looks good.

Journal Entry 13 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Well I can see why this book won the Whitbread prize because of the way it portrayed the social mores of the time. The description of the scene in the cinema was shocking and really frightening. However, I didn't read all of this book as I found I could not really engage with the characters. In fact, I actively disliked Hortense.

However, I'll be passing it on to another bookcrosser who has it on her wishlist. I hope she gets more out of it than I did.

Journal Entry 14 by wingTanamowing at Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Monday, May 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/14/2012 UTC) at Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom

Mailed to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 15 by Safrolistics at Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Received in the post today. Thankyou.