corner corner Chasing Stanley (Berkley Sensation)

Chasing Stanley (Berkley Sensation)
by Deirdre Martin | Romance
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 7/27/2007

status (set by KateKintail): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm a hockey nut. So after stumbling upon this series from Deirdre Martin, I quickly fell in love, even though I don't usually enjoy romances of any sort.

This book is the 5th in the series.
The order is: Body Check, Fair Play, Total Rush, The Penalty Box, Chasing Stanley

NOTE: This book contains spoilers for all books that come before it in the series! There are cameos from all characters in the book in a sort of forced "where are they now?" way. But the point is, if you haven't read previous books, those appearances in this book will give a lot away. Then again, it's a romance so it's not likely you'll be all that spoiled/surprised.

I LOVE dogs, and I enjoyed the less-than-perfect-ness of both main characters, especially since I still liked them both, most of the time. There were also of course the times when I wanted to reach into the book and slap one or the other- or sometimes the whole cast of supporting characters as well (minus Stanley, who I adored). I'm very glad I read it, though, because of the hockey elements. There were soooo many adorable and realistic moments, and I especially liked the hockey-playing twins.

Book Description:
What do a New York City dog trainer and a pro hockey player have in common? They both love Stanley, an adorable but naughty Newfoundland...
When dog trainer Delilah Gould spots a rambunctious Newfoundland disobeying orders, she can't help but stepping in and teaching the gentle giant to heel. But it's his hunky owner she's really like to teach a few tricks. Too bad he's clearly the untrainable kind.
Professional hockey player Jason Mitchell is thrilled when he's traded to the New York Blades--the team of his dreams. There's just one problem: his pooch isn't adjusting to city life too well. Good thing he crosses paths with dog trainer Delilah Gould. At least that's what he thinks--until he realized he's fallen for her.
Now, with the season heating up, Jason realizes he'll have to score big-time to win the Stanley Cup and the woman who had tamed his dog and unleashed his heart.

From Booklist:
Jason Mitchell has landed his dream job--on the New York Blades hockey team. He is young, rich, and thrilled to be in the Big Apple. He has just one small problem, his dog, a large Newfoundland named Stanley who is used to large open spaces, not cramped city sidewalks. Fortunately, Jason meets Delilah Gould, dog walker, boarder, and trainer extraordinaire. Delilah knows all about dogs and can discuss their care and management with ease. Ask her to speak about anything else in front of more than one person, however, and she has serious social problems. Her parents' constant fighting taught her to fade into the woodwork, so when Jason shows interest in her, she is out of her league. In fact, Jason and Delilah are almost polar opposites, and their differences threaten to be almost insurmountable. But Martin has a way of bringing her dissimilar characters together that rings true, and fans and curious new readers won't want to miss her latest hockey-themed romance. Maria Hatton
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, July 27, 2007

NOTE: I purchased this as a replacement copy for a book in a ring that seems to have been lost in the mail :-(

Original: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/4953572

Journal Entry 3 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, July 27, 2007

BookRing Rules:
1. When you receive the book, please make a journal entry to let us know it's safe & sound with you.
2. Read & enjoy! Please try to read the book(s) within 3-5 weeks. I understand you may have two books to read instead of just one but please try to get through it/them quickly to be respectful to the other ring participants. If you think you'll need extra time, just send me a PM to let me know.
3. PM the next person in the ring for his/her address.
4. Make another journal entry to let us know what you thought about it, and that you're sending it on.
5. Mail the book(s) to the next bookring participant.
6. If you need to be skipped for whatever reason let the person who PMed you know. I can add you back at the end of the list if you'd like.
7. PM KateKintail if you have any questions!

Chasing Stanley Order:
KateKintail (in US)
L8bloomer (in US)
Ibis3 (in CA)
snowy652 (in CA) (asked to be removed)
KateKintail (in US) <- BOOK IS HERE

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It''s on its way to L8bloomer now.

DC#: 0305 1720 0001 2595 4536

Journal Entry 5 by L8bloomer from Winchester, Virginia USA on Monday, August 13, 2007

:-) Hockey Romance ring....yeah!!!! Thanks KateKintail!!!

Journal Entry 6 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 30, 2008

Received in the post today! Hopefully I'll get a chance to read it soon. Love the little Stanley Cup bookplates, btw.

Journal Entry 7 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 29, 2008

In general this was a fun read, just like Penalty Box. I love all animals but I guess I'm not much for drool and stinky dog breath because I had a hard time thinking that kissing someone passionately after they had just been slobbered over by a dog would be very pleasurable. I thought it odd that Stanley was almost a supporting character but Delilah's own dogs were little more than props. Loved the hockey bits and the interaction between the twins. Delilah herself was a bit dull, but the supporting cast was interesting.

I'm looking forward to tracking down the rest of the series. (Though, as a Canadian, I would have liked it more if Martin's NHL had a little more of the Great White North in it -- more Canadian players, teams, etc. -- the sport in Canada is just so much more part of the overall culture than it is in the U.S., even if it is the same league).

Journal Entry 8 by Ibis3 at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 02, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/2/2008 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Sent to KateKintail today. Thanks again for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008

Home again, home again! Thank you, everyone, who participated and kept this book going!

Journal Entry 10 by wingKateKintailwing at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 05, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (9/5/2009 UTC) at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Virginia USA

Left by the hockey flyers inside the Washington Capitals practice arena.

Released for Never Judge a Book by its Cover Challenge Week 35 (sing in title)

Congrats and welcome to BookCrossing!
Thank you so much for picking up this book! Please make a journal entry here on this page if you haven’t already done so to let me know that this book has found a good home. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (joining is free). BookCrossing is entirely confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free. If you register, you can track this book easily later as it goes on its journey!
I really hope you enjoy the book you found! When you’re done reading it, you can make another journal entry with your comments here to let me know what you thought of it. You can keep the book forever and ever or pass it on to someone else. If you’re giving it to someone directly, make another journal entry saying so. If you choose to leave it somewhere “in the wild” for anyone to catch, make release notes that indicate where you left it. If you register, you will be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry.