corner corner Salem Falls

Salem Falls
by Jodi Picoult | Women's Fiction
Registered by angela7715 of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, July 27, 2007

status (set by Edwardstreet): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by angela7715 from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, July 27, 2007

Good story with lots of twists and characters you want to get to know. Would definitely recommend reading!

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 28, 2007

Picked up at yesterday's meetup. I've been wanting to read this for ages, so many thanks Angela!

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, August 03, 2007

When I started reading this book, I thought the author was being a bit heavy handed with the witch-hunt theme, what with setting the book in Salem Falls and making so many references to The Crucible, but it does actually work quite well as a reminder that although the world may have changed in many ways over the last few centuries, people haven't. Plus la change and all that.

I guessed the big twist at the end (hey, it's Jodi Picoult, of course there's going to be a twist or two, so that's not really a spoiler ;-)) about half way through - it was signposted just a little too well - but that didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the story, and there were plenty of other smaller twists and turns to keep me interested. And the device of (ok, this one *is* a spoiler - highlight to read) Jack himself being unable to remember exactly what happened in the woods that night, which, combined with the fact that he'd participated in what were effectively gang rapes as a footballer, means that for most of the book you're never entirely certain that he actually is innocent (and after all, it's a Jodi Picoult book - the hero being guilty wouldn't be an impossible twist for her!) works really well to keep the level of suspense going right until the end.

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 4 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Everyone seems to enjoy this author so I thought I needed to read her

Journal Entry 5 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 25, 2009

OK we are just going to have to accept that I don't like reading Jodi Picoult. All my friends love the author but I really can't get into her books.

Journal Entry 6 by winglytteltonwitchwing at The Coffee Club OBCZ, High Street in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/25/2009 UTC) at The Coffee Club OBCZ, High Street in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

To be taken to the meet up as I am sure that someone will want this book.

Journal Entry 7 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Picked this up at todays brunch meetup.
I've read others by the author so I'll add this to my pile of TBR books.

Left on the bookshelf at Arthurs at the Wellington UnConvention, November 2011.

Journal Entry 8 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, November 18, 2011

Started this once before but somehow misplaced it.Will read again as I enjoy a Picoult for a quick read

Journal Entry 9 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Martha's Pantry in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/26/2012 UTC) at Martha's Pantry in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Adult kids came back home to live today and surprise a big bundle of my books.Will release at this afternons meet up at Martha's
Dear Reader. Thank you for picking up this book! Please make a journal entry here to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that Edwardstreet referred you. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it "in the wild" again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), and spam-free.
Wellington Bookcrossers often get together for a chat and a coffee, drink or meal . Contact Edward Street for details we would love to meet you.

Journal Entry 10 by wingEdwardstreetwing at D4 Bar/Restaurant in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, September 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (9/11/2012 UTC) at D4 Bar/Restaurant in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

On the shelf at work too long, releasing at a meetup tonight