corner corner Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
by J.K. Rowling | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Urla of Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on 7/21/2007

status (set by MinervaBCN): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry has been burdened with a dark, dangerous and seemingly impossible task: that of locating and destroying Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes. Never has Harry felt so alone, or faced a future so full of shadows. But Harry must somehow find within himself the strength to complete the task he has been given. He must leave the warmth, safety , and companionship of The Burrow and follow without fear or hesitation the inexorable path laid out for him?

In this final, seventh installment of the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling unveils in spectactular fashion the answers to the many questions that have been so eagerly awaited. The spellbinding, richly woven narrative, which plunges, twists and turns at a breathtaking pace, confirms the author as a mistress of storytelling, whose books will be read, reread and read again.

This book is part of my "1 year of my life = 1 country = 5 books"-Challenge (3rd book for Great Britain).

Journal Entry 2 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Thursday, August 02, 2007

On it''s way to Schneefee.

Journal Entry 3 by Schneefee from Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

thank you, Urla, for sending me the book!!
I hoped it was Harry waiting for me when I reached the Packstation tonite - and it was. Unfortunately I'm far too tired to start reading now :-( but I will read the book all the way to Gent on Friday, that's for sure.

Picture-Update on Monday, 13. August 2007:
<- that's Harry in Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Journal Entry 4 by Schneefee from Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, August 20, 2007

Welllllll... I finished Harry last night, and all in all I really liked the book. It was the first read for quite a while that made me run around / eat / drink / do the washing with my nose in the book, or that unwilling to leave the bed on sunday and continue reading instead. Well, to be fair: Yesterday actually was the first sunday in this year where I really could stay in bed :-)
Anyroad, I liked it, and I don't want to spoil the fun for the followig readers now so I continue in white:
I missed some backgrounds, e.g. concerning why Neville suddenly got the sword of Gryffindor (afterwards, I read in the forum: Dazu sagte JkR im webchat (link weiter oben im thread):

"Su: How did Neville get the Gryffindor sword, is there a link to the hat?

J.K. Rowling: Yes, there is very definitely a link to the hat! Neville, most worthy Gryffindor, asked for help just as Harry did in the Chamber of secrets, and Gryffindor’s sword was transported into Gryffindor’s old hat — the Sorting Hat was Gryffindor’s initially, as you know. Griphook was wrong — Gryffindor did not ‘steal’ the sword, not unless you are a goblin fanatic and believe that all goblin-made objects really belong to the maker." http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/14/4613165)

What absolutely bored me was the last chapter: And they lived happily ever after! Ron married Hermione, Harry married Ginny and the later couple got children called Lily, James and - Albus Severus! Gag!! Instead I would have liked more infos about what happened directly after Voldemort died, but actually this would also have gone too far from the actual topic of the book.
So, this last chapter is a nice "Guys - it's over! Really!!" I think, but it turned out loooaaads too kitschy for my taste.

I missed the characters aside from Harry, Hermione and Ron (Luna, Neville, the Order etc) but to take into account them also as they deserved it would have made the story almost unreadable, I fear. So I was satisfied with what I got about Snape and both Dumbledores :-)
I especially loved the growth of Neville during all 7 books! And I'm quite sure that Rowling actually wanted to let Harry die and Neville take all that too an end - I was really sorry that he killed Nagini as Harry told him to, but actually it wasn't of worth. Well, set aside that Nagini couldn't do any more harm to the other fighters.

I surely could write pages ;-) but the essence of it would still be: Well done, Mrs Rowling! The Deathly Hallows are far away from being my favourite, they're not so cute as the first 3 books, in the middle they have some shortcomings, but they're a good and worthy closure to Harry's Story.

Tonight, the Deathly Hallows will travel on:
SerendipityN (Wuppertal, Germany)
LindyLouMac (Vetralla, Italy) -> already got it!
Wandering-B (Tai-Po, Hong Kong) -> already got it!
bookmaniac70 (Sofia, Bulgaria)
booklizard (bookmaniac's husband)
kulturologist (Sofia, Bulgaria)
MinervaBCN (Barcelona, Spain)

Journal Entry 5 by SerendipityN from Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Arrived today. Thanks a lot.

Journal Entry 6 by SerendipityN from Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, September 28, 2007

When I began reading this novel I first realized that I remembered almost nothing from "...the Half-Blood Prince", which sometimes left me wondering what they were talking about. But I got into the story again pretty fast. I really enjoyed the novel and I guess as soon as I buy the paperback edition I'll try and read all the Harry Potter books in a row once again. So, thank you very much for sending me the book. It'll travel on to Bulgaria tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, October 08, 2007

"Harry" arrived in Sofia.Thank you for the kind opportunity to read the last story!:-))

Journal Entry 8 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Sunday, October 28, 2007

A quick update about the book- my husband is reading it now and have reached the half of it. He is in Japan on a concert tour and will be back on 5th, God willing.

Journal Entry 9 by booklizard on Sunday, November 25, 2007

I`m bookmaniac`s husband:-)). I read the book on my concert tour in Japan. I enjoyed it and for me it was a quick and good reading. I think this is a fascinating story told in a slightly amateur way. One may wish for a better structure and a bit more polished style. But the book was a good companion for me those days and I thank for the opportunity to read the last chapter of the story!

Journal Entry 10 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Started reading.

Journal Entry 11 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Saturday, December 29, 2007

I liked very much the last book. For a fan like me who followed closely HP`s saga for years, it felt like a great experience to reach the end of the story. I will be always a fan of the first 4 books which IMHO are the most interesting,inspired and well written but the last book made the whole story complete.I was really moved by the chapter "King`s Cross" at the end. There were sentences which carried a meaning worth of contemplating.

Thank you,SerendipityN, for giving us the chance to read it!
culturologist will be back in Sofia after January,6. I will pass the book to her then.

Journal Entry 12 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Sunday, January 13, 2008

I`m passing the book to kulturologist today. She doesn`t have an Internet access at home so it may take a while until she will be able to register it.

Journal Entry 13 by bookmaniac70 at To the next participant in Passed by hand, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 13, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (1/13/2008 UTC) at To the next participant in Passed by hand, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Handed to kulturologist.

Journal Entry 14 by kulturologist on Monday, January 14, 2008

Got it from Milena.

Journal Entry 15 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Saturday, February 23, 2008

kulturulogist has finished the book and passed it back to me. She will write more when she gets to Internet.
I`m going to PM MinervaBCN and send the book in the mail.

Journal Entry 16 by kulturologist on Thursday, February 28, 2008

I liked the book very much. I felt relief to find out that Harry survived. The end really satisfies me a lot. It was a great experience for me to come to the end of my favourite saga in such special moment in my life - i`m expecting a baby:)Thanks to Milena for giving me this book.

Journal Entry 17 by bookmaniac70 at bookring in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 29, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (2/29/2008 UTC) at bookring in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to MinervaBCN.

Journal Entry 18 by MinervaBCN from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Friday, March 21, 2008

Harry arrived yesterday to my office. What a wonderful read for those few days of holidays! Thanks for sharing!