corner corner Love is a Four Letter Word

Love is a Four Letter Word
by Claire Calman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingLittlemavewing of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 15, 2003

status (set by kuju): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingLittlemavewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 15, 2003

Don't know anything about this one, the blurb sounds a bit BJD, and it has jammie dodger biscuits on the cover, so it must be *quite* good....

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittlemavewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 22, 2003

Lent this one to "mandyjoy" while I get around to reading it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingLittlemavewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Got it back now, and "mandyjoy" told me this one was great - she couldnt put it down! Now promised on loan to BookFrog.
(read the first chapter, looking forward to getting it back already!)

Journal Entry 4 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, October 11, 2003

Eep I better read quickly so I don't have you hanging over me waiting for me to finish (though Istill have a few of your other books to finish though Ihave started some of them)

Will read soon.

Journal Entry 5 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 08, 2003

I loved this book.

Funny I read the first chapter or so and then decided it was only so so and put it down and started and finished some other books and then returned to this one.

As soon as I started reading again, I throughly enjoyed it and could not put it down. It is a bit hard to read as it segues into flashbacks, only giving hints and clues about why she is like how she is like and not coming to reveal everything right at once leaving you guessing.

The heroine leaves her high paying job, her city flat and moves to a smaller area to a different job and tries to re-establish herself with all her possessions still in boxes. She has a disfunctional relationship with her family and she does not want to love again but she wants some action.

She resists love when it appears. SO it is a romance but also about emotional issues, about things not seeing what they are, about relationships in families.

Definetly a recommended read!!!
I liked it so much I bought another book by her to give that a try. But no jammie dodgers....

Journal Entry 6 by wingLittlemavewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, December 20, 2003

This was great! Finished it really quickly, I just could-not-put-it-down!

As BF says, the story is interspersed with flashbacks, so you understand the past in pieces - the old boyfriend, the parents, her childhood. It's like being a friend to someone, and every now and again they tell you a bit more about their life before you knew them.

So darn it, this was another one to make me cry.... am I just getting senile or soppy? I wont tell you at which point in the book, but couldnt stop the tears welling......(silly old emotional thing!!)

One of my recommended reads for the summer I think!

Journal Entry 7 by wingLittlemavewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 21, 2003

Gave this to Fushmush this morning at the Christmas social of the Famous Five at our headquarters at Go-Go's cafe, Darlinghurst. *g*

Merry Christmas all!!

Journal Entry 8 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 22, 2003

I got this from Littlemave today at our Sydney Christmas mini-meetup. This looks like a great chicklit novel, perfect for reading while sunbaking on the beach. Luckily I'm heading up the coast for some sunshine, sand and surf after Christmas. This book will be making the journey with me!

Thanks Littlemave :D

Journal Entry 9 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, January 02, 2004

This was the best chick lit I've read in a while. As good as Marion Keyes! I was completely engrossed and stayed up one night until 3am to finish it. I must admit that I blubbed the whole way through the second half, although quietly, for fear of waking up my Boyfriend *g*.

I lent this to my Mum who hopefully will be able to read it before she starts teaching again at the end of January.

Journal Entry 10 by noodlebowl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 08, 2004

Received from FushMush at the beach yesterday. I really enjoyed this book - best chick lit I've read in ages with actual character development and the use of flashbacks is quite intriguing. I finished it this morning at work! Could not stop reading it! Any takers?

Journal Entry 11 by kuju from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 01, 2004

Yaaaaay!!!! I found a parcel outside my door when I got home and I was so excited to see that it was addressed to me! I opened it up to find lots of a chocolate from Oz (Violet Crumble, Tim Tam (love you guys!), Jaffas, and Caramello Koalas. Mmmm! Oh..and under all the chocolate there was Love is a Four Letter Chocolate..err I mean... Word! Thanks Fushmush and Noodlebowl.

Aww and this book has been crossed by my most favourite bookcrossers in the whole entire world! Miss you guys *Mwa*