corner corner Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom)

Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom)
by Garth Nix | Teens
Registered by vampirequeen of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on 7/6/2007

status (set by vampirequeen): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, July 06, 2007

Amazon.co.uk Review
The first in an ambitious seven-book sequence, Mister Monday is surely the publication that will prove that Garth Nix is one of the best fantasy writers at work today. In turn, imaginative, spellbinding and hugely original, this award-winning author from Australia begins an expansive multi-volume work that is sure to stand the test of time if this first episode is anything to go by.
Arthur Penhaligon is supposed to die and he almost does on a school run when he collapses because of his chronic asthma. In his dreams he is visited by the enigmatic Mister Monday, who gives him a mysterious atlas and a magic key shaped like the minute hand of a clock. But Arthur wakes up and Mister Monday wants everything back. With these "gifts", Arthur suddenly assumes new powers and with them frightening responsibilities. Arthur's family and friends are under threat from a sudden outbreak of drug-resistant influenza and it seems the cure to this curious rash of afflictions can only be found inside a vast house that only Arthur can see.

Arthur has no option but to step inside and in doing so becomes the world's most unlikely hero and champion. Battling obstacles such as dog-faced Fetchers and people with Wings, robots and unbreakable chains, Arthur fights to stay intact and for meaning to this crazy world he has tumbled upon.

Journal Entry 2 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, October 25, 2007

Travelling, finally! Sent off to Norway this afternoon, as the post office was closing, but at least I got there!
Enjoy!

EDIT 29/10/07 - read two posts below first. Sorry am disorganised, but it's only my first ring!
Would just like to note that both KiwiinEngland and Mochagirl have postal addresses in England, as this was just a UK bookring. It's a Europe only one now tho.

Journal Entry 3 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, October 29, 2007

I got this in the mail today, along with another bookring. Gasp! I have so many rings and rays right now - I'm afraid it will probably take me a little longer than the 'standard' time to read this. But I definitely will read it and keep it moving. :-) Thanks for sharing, vampirequeen! I'll journal again when I've read the book.

Journal Entry 4 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, October 29, 2007

Ring order (this information is also on a postcard inside the book but I wanted to add it here as well in case the card gets lost):

LeishaCamden, Oslo, Norway
KiwiinEngland, Dublin, Ireland
Mochagirl, Melbourne, Australia

OPEN FOR MORE PARTICIPANTS! :-))

Back to vampirequeen in Wales!

Journal Entry 5 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, December 20, 2007

I've read the book, November 24th through December 19th. It was an entertaining read - *very* Nix! :-D Anyone who's read his Seventh Tower series will know what I mean. The setting, the characters, the issues the book deals with ... it's all very familiar to me from that other and less ambitious series. Not at all in a bad way. There is a reason that I like Nix and I found a lot of that in this book.

I am not in the target audience for this book and that is kind of obvious ... the language is rather simplistic to my eyes and a lot of what happens to Arthur in the story would probably have resonated more for me if I was fifteen years younger. Alas! :-) But still the book was entertaining and a fun read. As with all of Nix' work that I've read it was well written.

I'll get the book in the mail again soon once I've gotten KiwiinEngland's address. Thanks for sharing, vampirequeen! :-) And merry Christmas!

Journal Entry 6 by LeishaCamden at Sent surface mail to the next on the list in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 03, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (1/3/2008 UTC) at Sent surface mail to the next on the list in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book is finally on its way to KiwiInEngland. Thanks for your patience, vampirequeen :-) and happy reading, Kiwi! :-)

Journal Entry 7 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, January 21, 2008

The book arrived safely, and I am looking forward to reading another Garth Nix.

Thanks

Journal Entry 8 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, January 24, 2008

I enjoyed this book. The language, while aimed at the early teen market, conjures up great images.

I enjoyed how words and letters can be so powerful in the story (literally...snakes attack letters, the first stop Arthur makes in the House involve people carrying papers, parchments, ink, quills, anything to do with the production of words.

I am looking forward to the others in the series, thanks vampirequeen for staying this ring.

Journal Entry 9 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Posted to Mochagirl on 28th January 2008.

Journal Entry 10 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 04, 2008

This book arrived a few days ago, but I didn't get a chance to journal it then (sorry!). But now I've read it, and I can say it was highly enjoyable, but like LeishaCamden, the fact that I was not part of the target audience was clear. And like Kiwi, I was quite enthralled by the power of words in the book.

Thanks, vampirequeen, for organising this ring! The book will be back to you soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Mochagirl at St Aldates PO in Oxford, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 20, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/20/2008 UTC) at St Aldates PO in Oxford, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted off to vampirequeen today (apologies for the delay - got VQ's address during a particularly hectic work time, and then went travelling).

Journal Entry 12 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 07, 2008

It made its way home. And is already gone again! Since I had to pick it up from the PO, it was in my bag, and so had to be released.

Journal Entry 13 by vampirequeen at Penbryn Blocks 1-3 in Aberystwyth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, April 07, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (4/7/2008 UTC) at Penbryn Blocks 1-3 in Aberystwyth, Wales United Kingdom

Left on the windowsill of the link corridor