corner corner MORVERN CALLAR

MORVERN CALLAR
by ALAN WARNER | Literature & Fiction
Registered by livrecache of Hobart, Tasmania Australia on 7/6/2007

status (set by livrecache): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, July 06, 2007

Different cover than the one shown.

Bought as one of the 1001 books to read before I die. I'm a bit dubious about this one, but we'll see.

NEXT DAY

Okay, I've read it in one sitting.

It's pretty dire. Warner nails the hopelessness of (Scottish) working-class life in the port town where Morvern lives -- god help me, I never want to go there. 'The most touching parts of the book depict her dealings with older people: her girlfriend's gran or her own foster father. If there seems to be no generation gap here, it's because the young recognize their own fate in the wrung-out lives of their elders. The temporary escapes open to them (there's an indelible, hellish sequence detailing Morvern's package holiday to a sub-Club Med resort) only reinforce the awfulness that awaits.' (From some review I read that I happen to agree with.)

The language is interesting. For me, it was like learning to read -- you don't understand a word, you go on, and work it out from its context. Morvern is such a desperate character, not that she realises it. And perhaps it's my middle-class sensibilities that make her seem so. I loved it on one level -- spoiler coming up -- the book opens with her boyfriend dead on the floor, having committed suicide. She toddles through the blood and stuff, only marginally annoyed at the mess, and goes off to work at the local supermarket super store. She subsequently puts her name to the boyfriend's novel (which is accepted by a publisher), and squanders the fortune he's left her.

Although it's told as stream of consciousness stuff, I don't really get the feeling that anyone real is talking -- a male novelist speaking as an amoral woman. It's too far off my radar for me to get it. Nonetheless, I thought it was really interesting. (But was it great literature? I don't think so.)

I can die happy, having read it. (How many do I have to go now?)

Journal Entry 2 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, July 09, 2007

Sending it off on its journey (finally!) 27 July.

Participants

freelunch
jubby
cat207 --- in transit back to me 22 October

back to livrecache

Journal Entry 3 by livrecache at Mailed at local postoffice in Melbourne, Australia, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 26, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/26/2007 UTC) at Mailed at local postoffice in Melbourne, Australia, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending off as a bookring as one of the 1001 books you must read. It's travelling in good company.

Journal Entry 4 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 01, 2007

received today, thanks livrecache

adding it to my stack of TBR bookrings - it is thinner than some of them and it has more people waiting on it, so it might get nudged toward the top of the pile...

Journal Entry 5 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Thursday, September 27, 2007

a couple of years ago I tried to watch the movie based on this book. five minutes into the movie I wanted to turn it off but I stuck with it for about half an hour before giving up on it.

five pages into this book I wanted to give up on it. I kept going for a while but life's too short to force myself to read this book.

I'll send it on to jubby tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Oh dear!

I received this in the post this evening, with our kindhearted postie, bringing it to the door (he is a good soul, but wants to know 'Why so many books?') while I was cooking dinner.

Opening it over a little glass of wine, while stirring a sauce, I was excited (it has a great cover), but now that I've come to the computer (while the sauce simmers), it appears that two of my favourite bookcrossers didn't rate this book...

I'll try and read this tomorrow, and get into the post to Cat207 later in the week.

Bit worried about my chances of getting all the way through this though...but, I can assure you I will get through this glass of wine and tonight's dinner - book and dishes aside!

Thank you Livrecache for having me in your ring, and to Freelunch for posting to me. I hope you both are reading books more to your liking!

Thanks.

Journal Entry 7 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 14, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (10/14/2007 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Cat207.

Journal Entry 8 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 14, 2007

Oh dear!

Do you know, I thought I would dash through this one quickkly and have it out the door in a day or two, but found because of the way that it is written, and the language, I would read a paragraph or two, and then my mind would wonder, and I would start making a mental shopping list, etc.

Livrecache how did you read this in one sitting??!
It drove me nuts.
That and my inability to relate and care for the characters meant that I was not too concerned about the story.

I made myself finish reading it yesterday, and did eventually make it, but I don't think I will be dashing out to read more of this writer's work.

Journal Entry 9 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Arrived in today's mail - and what a coincidence, am back online just today! Thanks jubby, and livrecache for sharing. X

Journal Entry 10 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, October 21, 2007

It certainly wasn't easy, but it's done! Have to be one of the most difficult books I've read. I still haven't figured out what 'greeting' is. Can anyone enlighten me? I did like the great 'ice breaker' at the resort.

Morvern is heading home to livrecache in today's mail. X

Journal Entry 11 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Returned home safely today. Thanks to all who took part.

(I just tried to find 'greeting' by skimming, but of course I couldn't. I'll try again later. I really can't remember.)