corner corner The Black Album

The Black Album
by Hanif Kureishi | Literature & Fiction
Registered by inkognitoh of London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 25, 2007

status (set by BrillsoThrillso): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by inkognitoh from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 25, 2007

I've never read any Kureishi before but I couldn't resist this intriguing looking story for 20p from the Barons Court library sale.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh at London , Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 05, 2012

This book seemed like a prophecy of things to come for modern Britain. Set in the late 80s around the time of Salman Rushdie's fatwah, it investigates the relationship between young British muslims and the mainstream white culture. The central character is torn between being devout and sharing the virtues and values of his muslim brothers and launching into the rave culture and free wheeling morals of his fellow students.

It all comes to a head over the burning of Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses and the protaganist gets caught between two worlds, forcing him to choose which one he wants to live in.

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at Ben Bhraggie in Golspie, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/5/2012 UTC) at Ben Bhraggie in Golspie, Scotland United Kingdom

Day 5 (halfway through) of the ten hills, ten books, ten days challenge that swan-scot and I are embarking on to celebrate our ten year anniversary of being Bookcrossing members.

Journal Entry 4 by BrillsoThrillso at Golspie, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Found on Ben Bhraggie, 5/8/12. Looking forward to reading it.