corner corner The Line of Beauty

The Line of Beauty
by Alan Hollinghurst | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tqd of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, June 22, 2007

status (set by celestewa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, June 22, 2007

This one was part of a pile given to me by my Mum expressly for my bookcrossing addiction.

I'm reserving it for crimson-tide, who has won the most recent Australian Happy Crazy Smile RABCK. Just got to read it first, myself!!

Journal Entry 2 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I'm glad I had the chance to read this book. I was a bit unsure about it because all the hype when it won the Booker Prize kept on mentioning all the explicit sex. And I'd rather not read about sex (okay, I'm a prude).

But it's an awesome book. Yes, there is explicit sex, but it never came across as prurient or naughty, it was just sex and it made sense in the story.

It was a great story, set in the dizzy heights of the 80s in London, with our hero Nick in the middle of the fabulously wealthy and powerful. Who were fairly loathesome as well. Superficially charming, but underneath... well, you wouldn't want to cross them.

It was a flash back to a time of ostentatious wealth, right wing politics (did anyone ever really think Maggie Thatcher was beautiful??), and AIDS. The youth of the wealthy families spending their inheritance on nose candy and businesses that go nowhere. Ah, I wish I could sound nostalgic for such times...

Nick was a very human character. Even though he and I had nothing in common, I understood his desire to be part of the dazzling glittering world, and his constant feeling of being out of his depth and not quite understanding these strange creatures.

This got popped in the mail to crimson-tide today! Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I am such a lucky lucky bunny to have won the Happy Smile Day RABCK Sweepstake! *grin*
This book arrived safely today and is yet another book from my wish list! I never cease to be astounded by the generosity of BookCrossers.
Thank you so much tqd - and I'm very glad that you thought it was a worth-while read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, August 27, 2007

I've now acquired two copies of this book - so now I can share one of them with other bookcrossers.
Ain't that grand!

This one is now reserved and I'm placing it into the OZ VBB (general) - hosted by freelunch.
Somehow I don't think it will stay in the box for long.

From Publishers Weekly:
"Among its other wonders, this almost perfectly written novel, recently longlisted for the Man Booker [it ended up winning], delineates what's arguably the most coruscating portrait of a plutocracy since Goya painted the Spanish Bourbons. To shade in the nuances of class, Hollingsworth uses plot the way it was meant to be used—not as a line of utility, but as a thematically connected sequence of events that creates its own mini-value system and symbols. The book is divided into three sections, dated 1983, 1986 and 1987. The protagonist, Nick Guest, is a James scholar in the making and a tripper in the fast gay culture of the time. The first section shows Nick moving into the Notting Hill mansion of Gerald Fedden, one of Thatcher's Tory MPs, at the request of the minister's son, Toby, Nick's all-too-straight Oxford crush. Nick becomes Toby's sister Catherine's confidante, securing his place in the house, and loses his virginity spectacularly to Leo, a black council worker. The next section jumps the reader ahead to a more sophisticated Nick. Leo has dropped out of the picture; cocaine, three-ways and another Oxford alum, the sinisterly alluring, wealthy Lebanese Wani Ouradi, have taken his place. Nick is dimly aware of running too many risks with Wani, and becomes accidentally aware that Gerald is running a few, too. Disaster comes in 1987, with a media scandal that engulfs Gerald and then entangles Nick. While Hollinghurst's story has the true feel of Jamesian drama, it is the authorial intelligence illuminating otherwise trivial pieces of story business so as to make them seem alive and mysteriously significant that gives the most pleasure. This is Nick coming home for the first and only time with the closeted Leo: "there were two front doors set side by side in the shallow recess of the porch. Leo applied himself to the right hand one, and it was one of those locks that require tender probings and tuggings, infinitesimal withdrawals, to get the key to turn." This novel has the air of a classic."

Journal Entry 5 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, August 30, 2007

Nope - it didn't stay there for long! Chosen by blue1236 from the OZ VBB.
I'll be posting it off tomorrow.
Enjoy.

Journal Entry 6 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 10, 2007

Thanks! Can't wait to read this. =)

Journal Entry 7 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, March 03, 2008

I enjoyed this book though it took me a while to get through it. I'm glad I read it but I don't think it is one I will read again. Certainly a powerful story with interesting characters.

I'm going to put this one back in the VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, March 06, 2008

In the mail tomorrow to KLL. Enjoy! =)

Journal Entry 9 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Received today through the VBBOz (http://vbboz.blogspot.com/). Love the cover already - thanks for sending!!

Journal Entry 10 by KLL at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, June 10, 2012

This was an interesting book for me to read, because it it takes one of my favorite English 'genres' (rich people dalliancing at house parties), but set in the 1980s, rather than the period dramas I'm used to (Though I guess 1980s could be considered a period of it's own right!). I really loved the writing style and found it quite effortless to read. As tqd mentions, there's quite a lot of explicit gay sex, but I agree that it's not sensationalised, and actually it was very nice to come a across a story which normalises homosexuality, while still also portraying prevailing attitudes of the time. It might be the most intimate portrayal of a gay man that I've read. Also, I have to say I found the portrayal of Margaret Thatcher very interesting, particularly in light of having seen 'The Iron Lady' recently.

Journal Entry 11 by KLL at Toast in East Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/29/2012 UTC) at Toast in East Perth, Western Australia Australia

Releasing at the Perth BC Meetup today!

Journal Entry 12 by celestewa at Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Caught today at Toast in East Perth at Perth BC meeting..