corner corner Bless the Beasts and Children

Bless the Beasts and Children
by Glendon Swarthout | Nonfiction
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 6/11/2007

status (set by Bookish-Angel): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, June 11, 2007

Bought off a library sale shelf.

My thoughts: I really liked it more than I thought I would. It did remind me a lot of Lord of the Flies and A Separate Peace, but was a much more touching and positive story.

I love quest stories, and this one's plot was wonderful along those lines. More importantly, I adore character-driven stories. The group of misfits here were so pathetic and flawed... but so real and friendly that I couldn't help but fall in love with them- especially Cotton, the leader. I loved to watch them bond and accomplish what they end up accomplishing here. But I also really loved the structure of the storytelling- the flashbacks throughout really got me interested in the boys and what happened to them. I desperately wanted to know how they got a hold of the buffalo head prize but I didn't learn that until far into the story- when I had already come to know them and could appreciate that bit so much more.

This book was a short, enjoyable, moving read. Makes me want to drive out to Arizona and try to free some buffalo!

From the back of another copy: "Send Us a Boy- We'll Send You a Cowboy!" is the slogan of the Box Canyon Boys Camp. But for all the nail biters, thumb suckers, and teeth grinders- the cast-away offspring of parents who are busy traveling, being divorced, remarrying, and garnering fortunes- it's just another place to face rejection. Until Cotton.
Cotton pulls them together. In a hot-wired pickup, he leads "the Bedwetters" on a fantastic mission to save a heard of buffalo- and in the process, to save themselves. But as the raw red Arizona sun rises, they will discover the cost of their one grand moment of glory...

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007

I hope you enjoy this book :-)
Released for the Never Judge a Book by its Cover Challenge- week 23(double letters in title)

RAY IT FORWARD!
Please journal this book when you get it, and then read it in a timely manner (don't put it all the way at the bottom of your TBR pile, but feel free to take your time with it). When you're finished reading, please make another journal entry with your thoughts. Then find another BookCrosser who'd like to read this and Ray it Forward to him/her with the same guidelines.

Journal Entry 3 by samutsari on Friday, June 22, 2007

Got this book today by mail. I have seen this movie as a child and I can still recollect some parts. It will surely be nice to read and remember it once more... Thanks KateKintail for sending it.

The story still never fails to touch me. To me it is still as beautiful and yet tragic. Tender and terrible as it says on the cover. I am raying it forward soon.

Journal Entry 4 by samutsari at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/17/2007 UTC) at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Ray-it-Forward to Chubsie Whubsie. Mailed it off today.

Journal Entry 5 by chubsiewhubsie from Brunswick, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thank you a lot and I will indeed ray this forward. The stamp on the package was unique.
Sri Lanka traditional dancer.
THANK YOU.

Journal Entry 6 by chubsiewhubsie at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (8/15/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This book is a quick and fun read.
This RABCK book is off to Bookish-angel in a BCers Book Box.

Journal Entry 7 by Bookish-Angel on Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rec'd in a box o' books from chubsiewhubsie. Thanks!

Once read, I'll release at VCU's book swap shelf.