corner corner White Teeth

White Teeth
by Zadie Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by SouthbankCentre of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/11/2007

status (set by cafedereves): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by SouthbankCentre from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 11, 2007

To be released as part of the London Literature Festival

Journal Entry 2 by SouthbankCentre at Somewhere along the South Bank in South Bank, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (6/30/2007 UTC) at Somewhere along the South Bank in South Bank, Greater London United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by cafedereves from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 08, 2009

Found at the London Literature Festival 2007. Brilliant book. Zadie Smith's writing is witty and engaging. It hit a lot of good notes with me and I'm glad I set it aside until now to read because of it.

Some of the main characters are a Bengali family with second generation sons living in London. It goes on about their concerns about these sons dating white women and losing their culture. My boyfriend is a second generation son from a Bengali family.

Also, it takes place around the area of London where I live. I read about the 52 bus going south to Victoria from Kensal Rise when I had just gotten on the 52 bus going south toward Victoria at Kensal Rise. It's my route to work every morning.

There were sections where Smith is bold in her writing and she really explores the multicultural melting pot that this city truly is. She made me think about the meaning of the word "pulcritude", about how there are about 300 languages spoken in London, and so many other little things that will stay with me for a long time.

Recommend.