corner corner Song of the Magdalene

Song of the Magdalene
by Donna Jo Napoli | Other
Registered by appaloosatb of Rochester, Minnesota USA on 6/9/2007

status (set by Ri): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Saturday, June 09, 2007

From Publishers Weekly
This novel imagines the youth of the girl who would become Mary Magdalene and the events that shaped her into a powerful Biblical figure. "Readers may come away with new thoughts about a different era," said PW

(This copy has a different cover than the one pictured).

Journal Entry 2 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 29, 2007

Mailing to yourotherleft from the Teen VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 26, 2007

Wow...the library binding is really taking me back to my middle school days.... =D Thanks appa!

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 24, 2007

I loved this story, too. It looks like Napoli is becoming a fast favorite of mine. I love that she chose to explore the backstory of the always mysterious Mary Magdalene and that she does it so beautifully. She at once shows respect and love for the Jewish religion and way of life while also gently exposing its weaknesses and going on to suggest that there might be a better way for Miriam. Miriam's unique character is brought beautifully to life as she learns what it means to grow into a "proper woman" and decides once and for all if that is truly what she wants to be. Her relationship with Abraham in the face of his disabilities and society's disapproval is beautiful and believable. A heartbreaking, but ultimately hopeful story.

This one is going in the mail to Ri as well. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This arrived in the mail today. Thanks YOL!

Journal Entry 6 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I loved this one! I especially appreciated witnessing the depth of Miriam's emotions and her personal growth. This novel really provides a richness surrounding the lives of Bible folks that I hadn't really considered before.

10/09/07: added to the Teen VBB

Journal Entry 7 by Ri at US Post, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/20/2010 UTC) at US Post, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases

To the lucky finder of this book...

Thank you for taking the time to visit us at Bookcrossing. If this is your first visit to our site...welcome & I'm sure you'll find it fun!

All over the world people are following their books travels through Book Crossing & by making an entry you will be helping keep this books unique traveling history up-to-date.

You can make your first journal entry about this book now! Just tell us where you found it....& don't worry about giving your name, you can remain anonymous.

When you’ve read it,why not come back here and let us know what you thought of it? Tell us what your plans for it are....is it being passed to someone else?...or maybe you're going to leave it for someone else to find - just like you did! Then, if you want to, you will be able to follow it's travels around the book loving world as well!

I hope you've enjoyed visiting us here at BookCrossing & if you do decide to join us, please consider using me, Ri, as the member who referred you- then I know I'm successfully spreading the BookCrossing word!

Enjoy the book!