corner corner Double Star

Double Star
by Robert A. Heinlein | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by freelunch of Cairns, Queensland Australia on 6/8/2007

status (set by lils74): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Friday, June 08, 2007

One minute, down and out actor Lorenzo Smythe was -- as usual -- in a bar, drinking away his troubles as he watched his career go down the tubes. Then a space pilot bought him a drink, and the next thing Smythe knew, he was shanghaied to Mars.

Suddenly he found himself agreeing to the most difficult role of his career: impersonating an important politician who had been kidnapped. Peace with the Martians was at stake -- failure to pull off the act could result in interplanetary war. And Smythe's own life was on the line -- for if he wasn't assassinated, there was always the possibility that he might be trapped in his new role forever!

Journal Entry 2 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 13, 2009

I haven't read this book yet but I acquired a second copy a couple of years ago in a bulk lot of Heinlein books.

sent to RockDg9 in trade for Captain's Peril

Journal Entry 3 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, July 16, 2009

Arrived - thanks freelunch!

Journal Entry 4 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, December 24, 2009

I enjoyed this but it doesn't really feel like I read the book. I know that sounds odd, maybe it's just because it's such a light book with a sort of skimming writing style. It's mainly about politics, I would have liked a little more science fiction in it.

Journal Entry 5 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (9/28/2010 UTC) at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia

Happy :)

Journal Entry 6 by GoldenHind at Maroochydore, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Arrived today as one of my Happy smile day RABCK prize . Thank you RockDG9. Thanks also for the stickers. :>)

Journal Entry 7 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Sunday, May 08, 2011

This landed safe and sound in my post box today from the "not my cup of tea" exchange.
What can I say? :) I have never heard of this author, but that isn't saying much since I'm not hugely knowledgeable about science-fiction. I loved the retro cover, and when I opened the package I read the first few pages, and it really made me laugh. So though this might not have been what I thought was my cup of tea either, as in I may have not picked it up in a store, I am certainly reading it now, and I will let you know what I think of it. Thank you, GoldenHind, for sending it, and thanks to Bloedgengel for hosting this exchange, I think it's been a great idea and lots of fun for all!

Journal Entry 8 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Sunday, May 29, 2011

Well, I guess this WAS my cup of tea! I don't even usually read science fiction much, but I surprised myself by reading this just the week after receiving it. And I really enjoyed it! It was, to be sure, a light read, but well written and fun, enjoyable. I was particularly impressed by the way it made futuristic concepts realistic and believable. The story felt real because things were just stated, as if, "that's just the way it is now" without huge explanations about every futuristic "cool" new thing. Liked it a lot. Would read more by this author if I come across him.

Journal Entry 9 by lils74 at 1905 Restaurant Farmer's Market in Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (10/22/2011 UTC) at 1905 Restaurant Farmer's Market in Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

I released this book at the Saturday morning Farmer's Market held at the 1905 Restaurant in Lazimpat. Though it is not so obvious here, the cover is green, and I thought green was appropriate for such a nice market.
It's a fun sci-fi book and I hope whoever finds it enjoys it, and lets us know where it is now.
A group of us are also playing a game on this website, called Bookcrossing Monopoly, and I have released it for Turn 12, where my team, team Iron, is required to "go to market!"
If you are the finder, it would be great for us if the book checks in!