corner corner Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America

Journal Entry 1 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Another great book I met through a bookring and fell in love with. I purchased this copy to share with my bookcrossing friends as part of my Movers and Shakers bookbox. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. It's a book that is hard to find, so please try to keep it moving.

Journal Entry 2 by allysther from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, December 07, 2007

This looked too good to pass up, so I am reading it quickly before I send the bookbox back out.

Journal Entry 3 by itpdx from Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Taken from the Movers and Shakers book box.

Journal Entry 4 by itpdx from Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, December 23, 2007

What a delightful book! Ms. Dumas has us laughing at common experiences like how parents can embarrass their kids. She also has us laughing at the US as immigrants look at our strange culture and try to figure it out and adapt. She shares some of the difficulties faced by immigrants-her uncle a 50 something doctor having to go back to school and do an internship in order to practice in this country. Her father facing job discrimination because of the Iranian hostage taking. She also reminds us of the wonderful spice that immigrants bring to this country. I am going to look for another reader for this book.

Journal Entry 5 by itpdx from Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, December 30, 2007

To honor bluestocking88's request that this book be kept in circulation, I am sending to bookcrosser mellion108 as a RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, January 05, 2008

Thank you so much, itpdx! The book is here. I've had it on my wishlist for a while, and I've heard so many good things about it. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for so kindly sending it my way. :)

Trade paperback, 214 pages

From the back cover:
In 1972, when she was seven, the author and her family moved from Iran to Southern California, arriving with no firsthand knowledge of this country beyond Firoozeh's father's glowing memories of his graduate school years here. In a series of deftly drawn scenes, Funny in Farsi chronicles the American journey of Dumas's wonderfully engaging family: her engineer father, a sweetly quixotic dreamer who first sought riches on Bowling for Dollars and in Las Vegas; her elegant mother, who never fully mastered English (or cared to); her uncle, who combated the effects of American fast food with an array of miraculous American weight-loss gadgets; and Firoozeh herself, who as a girl changed her name to Julie and who encountered a second wave of culture shock when she met and married a Frenchman, becoming part of a one-couple melting pot. an unforgettable story of identity, discovery, and the power of family love, Funny in Farsi will leave us all laughing—without an accent.

Journal Entry 7 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wonderful, sweet and funny!

I actually finished this a couple of months ago (better a late journal than no journal, I hope).

Dumas has such a funny way of looking at her family and her culture. Her anecdotes are hilarious and touching—it's clear that she loves her family and accepts all their funny quirks and foibles. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard over her story about her dad on Bowling for Dollars. Priceless. :)

I'm so glad I read this book. Very enjoyable. I found it on someone's wishlist, so the book will now wing its way to Finland. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What a wonderful surprise, thank you so much! Can't wait to start reading this :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This was a quick read and I absolutely loved it! I, too, love the humour and warmth with which Dumas depicts her family - and especially her father, who was by far my most favourite character in the book. What a wonderful, funny man :) A touching, warm-hearted story. Thank you all for sharing!

***

Next off to keeta1, who had this on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 10 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thank you Annimanni, the book arrived today and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll also try to keep it moving when I'm done.

Journal Entry 11 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, March 02, 2012

A very enjoyable story and having changed countries myself, one that I can empathize with.
This book is moving on to Erishkigal today. Happy travels little book.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/4/2012 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy.

Journal Entry 13 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wow, this little book has done some travelling! And now it has quickly and safely made it's way to Salt Lake. Thank you so much, Keeta! And for the gorgeous postcard as well ~

And now I'll go remove it from my wishlist :)

edited 10/19/12
just got notice Vilda rec'd it, and cant' believe I not only didn't journal after reading it, there's no journal from sending it on! I swear I can remember writing about it being put into and chosen from DubaiReader's Global vbb. I must be totally losing it!

So, at any rate, I enjoyed this book immensely. Not only was it a fascinating look inside another culture within my own country, it also took me to the middle east, and all was told with compassion and love. And it was at times hysterically funny!

Journal Entry 14 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Friday, October 19, 2012

Thank you!

Journal Entry 15 by babelfisk at Stockholm city, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, May 13, 2013

I'm staying at Vildas place for the week and found this in her bookshelf. It seems funny and I hope I can read it during this week.

Journal Entry 16 by babelfisk at Stockholm city, Södermanland Sweden on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Charming and very amusing! I especially enjoyed the chapter entitled "It's All Relatives".
So different from the way we behave and treat our next of kins.

Now I'll return it to Vildas bookshelf.

Journal Entry 17 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, January 06, 2014

Oh, I forgot to register that the book is back with me.

Journal Entry 18 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to read this one. I thought the book was fine but not more interesting or funny than that. It might have to do with the fact that I meet and socialize frequently with people from different Cultures, countries and religions and so recognize many of the dilemmas in the novel. I will find a way to keep this travelling.

Journal Entry 19 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Friday, June 19, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (6/19/2015 UTC) at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden

Travels to my neighbouring country as a RABCK.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Thank you very much for the book, Vilda! I always enjoy reading about culture shock /meeting of different cultures, so I'm looking forward reading it.

Journal Entry 21 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, September 05, 2015

I read it quickly too and finished it yesterday; the writing style was light and entertaining, although I was a little bored when she described her wedding (a subject I'm not interested at all!). But I loved her father too :-D

Journal Entry 22 by -solaria- at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, September 05, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/5/2015 UTC) at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

I'll take this book to the local meet-up today; hopefully it will find a new reader!

Journal Entry 23 by makke at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, September 05, 2015

Wow, this book has been travelling a lot! I was promised this book as a RABCK but it hasn't arrived so I just couldn't resist this one. Thanks for bringing this to the meet-up!

Journal Entry 24 by makke at Tartu, Tartumaa Estonia on Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Somehow, I wasn't expecting the book to be this easy and quick to read. I read it, though, more as a description of a family consisting of remarkable personalities than the story of an Iranian family trying to settle down in America. In my opinion, most of the humor emerged from the character of the father and far less from cultural tensions between the Iranian and American way of doing. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book, it was a very good piece in between, and I was delighted to learn more about the Iranian culture, of which I know shamingly little.

Journal Entry 25 by makke at Tartu, Tartumaa Estonia on Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/8/2016 UTC) at Tartu, Tartumaa Estonia

Traveling off to Bulgaria to a person who wished for this book. Happy and hilarious reading!

Journal Entry 26 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, February 15, 2016

So pleased to receive this book - one of the oldest in my wishlist! Thank you, Makke, for the RABCK, I`m looking forward to reading it!