corner corner Twenty Grand: Great American Short Stories

Twenty Grand: Great American Short Stories
by Edited by Ernestine Taggard | Literature & Fiction
Registered by grubsneerg of Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007

status (set by grubsneerg): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007

From the back cover: "Here are twenty great American short stories. Written by men and women who are nationally famous, these stories appeared originally in Scholastic Magazine, and have been collected here especially for scholars and "young adults." Here you will go to the far north with author Elliott Merrick to track the Seven Islands Indian, Mathieu, on a strange and grueling manhunt in frozen Labrador. Here John Steinbeck will introduce you to Elisa, who had magic in her fingers but whose heart yearned for what it could not have. And here in the famous story Maureen Daly wrote when she was sixteen, you have a ringside seat at a moonlit meeting on ice skates. Here you'll find stories by Sinclair Lewis, Dorothy Parker, Jesse Stuart and Ring Lardner and a host of other famous names in big-time fiction."

Journal Entry 2 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, April 16, 2010

The foreword and introduction to this book describe the stories as contemporary, but a quick check of the copyright dates shows that the book was first published in 1947 with stories that were written between 1917 and 1940. In 2010, the stories are a delightful snapshot of that era complete with moralistic endings. My favorites were "Without Words," by Elliott Merrick; "A Tooth for Paul Revere," by Stephen Vincent Benét; "Strawberry Ice Cream Soda," by Irwin Shaw; and "I Can't Breathe," by Ring Lardner.

Journal Entry 3 by grubsneerg at Goodwill Store on Donohoe Road in Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (6/30/2010 UTC) at Goodwill Store on Donohoe Road in Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Shopgifted onto the shelves!

Congratulations--you caught a book!

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold. If you decide to join, consider listing grubsneerg (or any other journaller of this book) as the member who referred you.