corner corner Rhoda Stories - Bookray!

Rhoda Stories - Bookray!
by Ellen Gilchrist | Literature & Fiction
Registered by grover3d of Charleston, West Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2003

status (set by coystr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Rhoda Manning is one of Ellen Gilchrist's most vibrant recurring characters and this is a collection of the stories about this wild, wonderful redhead. Fantastic writing from a phenomenal author.

Journal Entry 2 by coystr from Marysville, California USA on Friday, March 05, 2004

The book is very well written and interesting, it is just that I thought I would like her, Rhoda, and I did not. I thought she was selfish and greedy. Though she is amusing and has a zest for life that is touching. I want to like the main characters of the books I read and I just couldn't quite make it all the way there this time.
Maybe because she left her children out of the book. As if they did not matter to her. At one point she said she missed them. And I thought how could you miss them you are never with them. But the book is only pieces of the characters life. Maybe you are suppose to assume she had dealing with her children off book page. I think if they were important to the character (in the eyes of the author) they would have been on book page.
Family is too important to me to like Rhoda. She gives up on her husbands too easily also.
Hugs,