corner corner Mightier Than the Sword: "Who's Afraid of Beowulf?" & "My Hero" (Omnibus #2)

Mightier Than the Sword: "Who's Afraid of Beowulf?" & "My Hero" (Omnibus #2)
by Tom Holt | Literature & Fiction
Registered by freelunch of Cairns, Queensland Australia on 6/3/2007

status (set by DelphiDoormouse): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 03, 2007

Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
Well, not Hrolf Earthstar, for a start. The last Norse king of Caithness, Hrolf and his twelve champions are woken from a centuries-long sleep when archaeologist Hildy Frederiksen finds their grave mound. And despite the time-delay, Hrolf decides to carry on his ancient war against the Sorceror King...

My Hero
Writing novels? Piece of cake, Jane thinks. Until hers starts writing back. At which point, she really should stop. And she certainly shouldn't go into the book herself. After all, that's what heroes are for. Unfortunately, the world of fiction is a far more complicated place than Jane ever imagined. And she's about to land her hero right in it.

Journal Entry 2 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Saturday, January 24, 2009

Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
not 'brilliantly funny' as claimed in a MAIL ON SUNDAY quote on the cover, this was a mildly amusing tale - my first Tom Holt and it won't be my last (as there's another book in this omnibus for starters)

Journal Entry 3 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

My Hero
fun, though it dragged a little toward the end. its concept is similar to Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels, with a motley crew of characters (fictional and "real") being pursued through several classic works of fiction. My favourite scene in the book was a shootout in Sense And Sensibility, in Miss Bennett's parlour, throughout which Miss B tried to serve tea to all and sundry and wondered aloud which of the the gunmen would make the best prospective husband, and why she couldn't see the pheasant they were obviously "hunting" in her parlour...

Journal Entry 4 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

released to the COT Bookcrossing Zone

Journal Entry 5 by DelphiDoormouse from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Found at COT Bookcrossing site, sounds amusing