corner corner *Catcher in the Rye

*Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 6/3/2007

status (set by lovelovebooks): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 03, 2007

Bought at a library used book sale; good condition.

This is one of my favorite books of all-time because I find the main character, Holden Caulfield, to be incredibly intriguing.

The book starts out in Holden's usual cynical tone as he sets the reader up for a tale about a few days of his life as a sixteen-year-old expelled from a prep school he didn't want to go to anyway: "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them..... I'm not going to tell you my whole goddam autobiography or anything. I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy."

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sent for Never Judge a Book by its Cover Challange- week 28(plain)

RAY IT FORWARD!
Please journal this book when you get it, and then read it in a timely manner (don't put it all the way at the bottom of your TBR pile, but feel free to take your time with it). When you're finished reading, please make another journal entry with your thoughts. Then find another BookCrosser who'd like to read this and Ray it Forward to him/her with the same guidelines.

Journal Entry 3 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, July 21, 2007

Received this today. I will be reading this soon and then passing it on! Thanks KateKintail!

Journal Entry 4 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Friday, July 27, 2007

I started reading this last night and have gotten about 50 pages into it. While I find Holden to be quite humorous, and am interested in his story, I'd forgotten what rotten language this book has. I had read it in high school and I guess it didn't bother me as much then because I had rotten language myself! :) I appreciate the opportunity to read this and will offer it up as a Ray It Forward on the Book Wish List forum today.

Journal Entry 5 by wingelizardbreathwing at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 20, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (8/20/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

I offered this up as a bookray and received two responses. However, when it came time to send it off, one person didn't remember responding and was no longer interested and the other person was too busy to read it at that time. So, I am releasing this into my wrapped bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by lovelovebooks from Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, October 27, 2007

Oh- I am so glad that I took this out of the box! My daughter ripprd our copy and I am so glad to have an early copy! Thanks!